XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-29-2022, 01:53 PM   #1
Chrisnytx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [10.00]
Oil Type

I have a 2013 E70 with a N55 engine and 145k miles. I am about to conduct an oil change but I was curious to see what brand and weigh of oil is everyone else using?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 08:07 PM   #2
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M, 2012 X5, 2018 M2

Stick with BMW oil, but Liqui Moly and Motul may be even better.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2022, 01:37 PM   #3
Chrisnytx
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [10.00]
5w-30?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 05:35 PM   #4
Dekero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35I

Ok so you just opened a can of worms... And thenOilSbobs are guaranteed to chime in... BUT

I've said this before and I hope it makes my point...220k Miles, 150 of which I've done in the last year and a half... I drive a minimum of 7k+ miles a month and I change my oil on the first Saturday of every month... Yes I said Every month....

That being said I have and will continue to use the cheapest euro spec oil I can buy on walmart.com which currently is Valvoline, and has been Mobil 1 and others... Currently I have about 10 Gallons in the garage...Where I don't cheap out is I always use a MANN filter, and have 8 sitting on a shelf in the garage..

I use 0w40 in the winter, and switch up to 5w40 in the summer.... If you'll research you'll find you want a lighter weight oil during cold weather so it circulates quicker when cold. And a little thicker during warm months for the same reasons...

And now sit back and prepare yourself for all the BMW gear heads who want to tell me I'm clueless... This will be the same people who have less than 100k miles on their BMW and drive barely enough to need to change their oil once a year.... Again I'm at 220k and will hit 300k before the end of this summer.... Please tell me again what I'm doing wrong...I'll wait.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2022, 07:10 PM   #5
zjuyyhu
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnytx View Post
5w-30?
I always use Mobil 1 0w40 for my 2012 x5 which is on 109K miles.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2022, 07:23 AM   #6
Dave00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekero View Post
Ok so you just opened a can of worms... And thenOilSbobs are guaranteed to chime in... BUT

I've said this before and I hope it makes my point...220k Miles, 150 of which I've done in the last year and a half... I drive a minimum of 7k+ miles a month and I change my oil on the first Saturday of every month... Yes I said Every month....

That being said I have and will continue to use the cheapest euro spec oil I can buy on walmart.com which currently is Valvoline, and has been Mobil 1 and others... Currently I have about 10 Gallons in the garage...Where I don't cheap out is I always use a MANN filter, and have 8 sitting on a shelf in the garage..

I use 0w40 in the winter, and switch up to 5w40 in the summer.... If you'll research you'll find you want a lighter weight oil during cold weather so it circulates quicker when cold. And a little thicker during warm months for the same reasons...

And now sit back and prepare yourself for all the BMW gear heads who want to tell me I'm clueless... This will be the same people who have less than 100k miles on their BMW and drive barely enough to need to change their oil once a year.... Again I'm at 220k and will hit 300k before the end of this summer.... Please tell me again what I'm doing wrong...I'll wait.
Impressive!!! I see you're driving the 35i so you have the 6 cylinder and haven't had to deal with all of the issues with the N63 V8 motors as on those I'd stick with a higher quality oil and change more frequently just to be safe. That's a good amount of mileage, just curious, what major repairs have you had to deal with?
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2022, 06:30 PM   #7
Dekero
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave00 View Post
Impressive!!! I see you're driving the 35i so you have the 6 cylinder and haven't had to deal with all of the issues with the N63 V8 motors as on those I'd stick with a higher quality oil and change more frequently just to be safe. That's a good amount of mileage, just curious, what major repairs have you had to deal with?

Dave, Thanks for the kind words.

As for major repairs. That sir is an extensive list... Most were maintenance and not actual failures..infact of all the issues I've had with the truck the list of actual failures is short... A water pump, a serpentine belt, AC compressor, Heater control valve and over flow bottle..

Maintenance on the other hand...

Diff fluids/transmission/transfer case (3x)
Replaced every coolant hose on the truck
Water pump
Heater control valve
Overflow bottle
AC compressor
Valve cover/gasket (2x)
Oil pan gasket
Entire front suspension
Turbo and diverter valve
High flow cat and both O2 sensors
Cat back Megan Exhuast
Plugs (2x)
Coils
All 6 injectors
Both low pressure fuel pumps
High pressure fuel pump
Starter
MAF
Map
TMap
Both crank sensors
Both Vanos solenoids
Battery
Windshield
Front/rear brakes and rotors
FMIC
Afe cold air intake
Throttle body and gasket
Intake gaskets
OFHG (2x)
Serp belt, tensioner and both idler pulleys
Crank seal guard
Footwell module

And I'm sure I've missed something... But basically it's a new truck... 😂
Appreciate 1
Dave0037.00
      12-05-2022, 01:27 PM   #8
Chrisnytx
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:

Wooowww congrats on the miles!!! I definitely appreciate your advice!!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 01:29 PM   #9
Chrisnytx
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [10.00]
Wow! Thats impressive! Glad you haven't had too many failures
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 06:35 PM   #10
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Quote:
Dave, Thanks for the kind words.

As for major repairs. That sir is an extensive list... Most were maintenance and not actual failures..infact of all the issues I've had with the truck the list of actual failures is short... A water pump, a serpentine belt, AC compressor, Heater control valve and over flow bottle..

Maintenance on the other hand...

Diff fluids/transmission/transfer case (3x)
Replaced every coolant hose on the truck
Water pump
Heater control valve
Overflow bottle
AC compressor
Valve cover/gasket (2x)
Oil pan gasket
Entire front suspension
Turbo and diverter valve
High flow cat and both O2 sensors
Cat back Megan Exhuast
Plugs (2x)
Coils
All 6 injectors
Both low pressure fuel pumps
High pressure fuel pump
Starter
MAF
Map
TMap
Both crank sensors
Both Vanos solenoids
Battery
Windshield
Front/rear brakes and rotors
FMIC
Afe cold air intake
Throttle body and gasket
Intake gaskets
OFHG (2x)
Serp belt, tensioner and both idler pulleys
Crank seal guard
Footwell module

And I'm sure I've missed something... But basically it's a new truck... 😂
Do you track your mpg in fuelly? I hope you do! I used to drive 5-6k miles a month, was doing 4k of commuting a month before any personal use. Now, I'm doing much less, but my diesel X5 popped at 315k miles due to my own stupidity and a crappy situation. NEw motor had 33k when it went in and I'm not hesitating to pile on the miles. With your usage, whu did you buy a gas instead of a diesel?
      12-06-2022, 04:22 PM   #11
Dekero
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro235 View Post
Do you track your mpg in fuelly? I hope you do! I used to drive 5-6k miles a month, was doing 4k of commuting a month before any personal use. Now, I'm doing much less, but my diesel X5 popped at 315k miles due to my own stupidity and a crappy situation. NEw motor had 33k when it went in and I'm not hesitating to pile on the miles. With your usage, whu did you buy a gas instead of a diesel?
I average 17-19 mpg between fillups, but the truck is stage 2+ tuned with a bunch of mods.... Truthfully I'd be happy with 10mpg cuz it's so fun to drive...Definetly track milage as it's all tax deductible... I'm at a lil over 80k for this year alone ..

As for why not diesel... I know very little about diesels and knew a bunch about the N54/55 platform from my previous x3 and X5 so I stuck with the devil I knew well... I'm at 220500 right now and it drives great ....knock on wood...
Appreciate 1
Spyro235259.50
      12-06-2022, 09:29 PM   #12
Cbrvsr1
Rep
Drives: X5

237,000 miles
Castro oil 5w 40 fully synthetic LL01
Mann oil filter
Oil change every 7k
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2022, 06:35 AM   #13
dudelange
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnytx View Post
I have a 2013 E70 with a N55 engine and 145k miles. I am about to conduct an oil change but I was curious to see what brand and weigh of oil is everyone else using?
I am in Norther Europe and I travel often to Southern Europe with temperatures ranging between -10C in the winter and +38C in the summer. I use Castrol GTX 0W30 ACEA C3, it is the best for an X5.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2022, 01:33 PM   #14
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Quote:
I average 17-19 mpg between fillups, but the truck is stage 2+ tuned with a bunch of mods.... Truthfully I'd be happy with 10mpg cuz it's so fun to drive...Definetly track milage as it's all tax deductible... I'm at a lil over 80k for this year alone ..

As for why not diesel... I know very little about diesels and knew a bunch about the N54/55 platform from my previous x3 and X5 so I stuck with the devil I knew well... I'm at 220500 right now and it drives great ....knock on wood...
I'm stage 2, making 330hp/500+ ftlbs at the wheels. I assume you're on the highway, holding good speeds- I mention diesel becasue I hopped form an n54 335i to my M57 X5. at 85mph on cruise control I can still get 25-26 mpg depending on terrain. Slow down to 70 and I can see 30+. That 5-10 mpg really adds up at 80k a year!