XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #23
hansel22
Rep
Drives: X5M - B8S4

You're not the only one. My 08' 4.8i was in the shop maybe 6 months of the 2 years I owned it. Trans,transfer case, injectors, leaking water in the backseat etc.

So I traded it in for a 2012 x5m, that's been in the shop maybe 2 months of the year I've had it. Waste gate slonoids, boost faults, vaccum leaks Etc.

Sad to say this is my last BMW. I counted the other day. This is my 11th BMW since I got my license when I was 16.

The worst part is they don't really give a shit.

Never had any issues with my m3's just these damn x5's.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #24
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
I'll take it as "no".
You can take it any way you want to take it. My point is that minor modifications, such as TCU (telephone module) update or CCC to CIC (navigation system) update should not cause "transmission failure" error and place driver in a life-threatening situation. I have a feeling that you are just missing my point here

Last edited by igorbmwx6; 09-13-2013 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #25
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorbmwx6 View Post
You can take it any way you want to take it. My point is that minor modifications, such as TCU (telephone module) update or CCC to CIC (navigation system) update should not cause "transmission failure" error and place driver in a life-threatening situation. I have a feeling that you are just missing my point here
Absolutley. Coding your vehicle only opens up options that are available in another market (europe), thats it. and these are basically because our government thinks its for our safety. It does not modify the vehicle in any way that it was not intended to be used and in no way should contribute to any transmission failure.

I am now bringing my x5m in for a new transfer case that only took 4 weeks to bring in from the fatherland.
      09-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #26
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel22 View Post
You're not the only one. My 08' 4.8i was in the shop maybe 6 months of the 2 years I owned it. Trans,transfer case, injectors, leaking water in the backseat etc.

So I traded it in for a 2012 x5m, that's been in the shop maybe 2 months of the year I've had it. Waste gate slonoids, boost faults, vaccum leaks Etc.

Sad to say this is my last BMW. I counted the other day. This is my 11th BMW since I got my license when I was 16.

The worst part is they don't really give a shit.

Never had any issues with my m3's just these damn x5's.
The only way that a car manufacturer can "not give a shit" is if no matter what they do, they are still successfully selling their cars all over the world. This is the case with BMW, no matter what, there will still be those car enthusiasts and BMW brand lovers (like me ), who will be willing to close their eyes on all the cons and still purchase their vehicles. This is why their sales are still skyrocketing, beating M-Benz and Audio in sales
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 01:40 AM   #27
Jlam86
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e70 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorbmwx6 View Post
Wanted to share similar life-threatening experience I had with my 09 X6 recently. First time driving it on highway got a "transmission malfunction" error message, putting vehicle in limp mode. Actually completely disengaging wheels from the engine. Took it to my local dealership with this problem. Was told that it is nothing major, just had to reset transmission to factory default settings. Took it back and within a week saw same error "transmission malfunction". My wife drive the car and sent me same error as a screen shot on her phone, asking me what is this. I called the BMW dealership and explained to them that the problem has not been resolved by resetting transmission to factory default settings. They asked me to bring the car back in and they will take a look at it again. On my way to the dealership, I took highway 101 and at 65-70 mph same error with cars in front of me and cars in the back of me. My car is going into limp mode, no connection between wheels and engine, error message "transmission malfunction". This time I almost killed myself. Stopped in the middle of highway 101, restarted the vehicle and slowly continued to the dealership. Now I was told that it will cost me two hours of re-programming transmission and traction control units. Car has been at the dealership almost a month now. I will keep you posted on the progress. I love BMW for performance reasons, but safety does not seem to be #1 choice.

my goodness! glad you're ok. you know, after they replaced my rear diff, they didn't reprogram my transmission so things weren't syncing up properly. so my transmission was super jerky. almost like i was driving with two feet. each time i pulled to a complete stop, the car would hop forward and you'd have to slam on the breaks so it doesn't throw you into the car in front. They charged me $478 for reprogramming because CPO doesn't cover programming. Since my car was under investigation by BMW NA, i was left with no choice but to pay for it since if i refused, they would have said that the customer refused to proceed with further repair and close my case. thankfully, after the programming, it was fine. but i seriously think they should have done that when my diff went in or atleast tested everything out before giving it back to me.

I managed to put up enough of a stink that bmw reimbursed me that $478.

Like one of the other member said previously, once the car is sold, BMW says audios sucker!!
Appreciate 0