XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
X5 Copa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

Octane and Altitude

Hi All
I received some very strange information from my SA a couple of days ago. Actually, I am not sure if the information is strange, or if the strange thins is the fact that everyone knows this except me. Never heard this before. He maintains that I want to run at least 91 octane in my 2011 E70 50i at sea level. 93 is even better. Ok, fine. But he also maintains that I actually want to run lower octane fuel at altitude. The higher the altitude, the lower the octane, down to a minimum of 89, where I live between 7K to 8K feet. He says that all of the managers are driving M3s, M5s, X5 Ms, etc., and they are all running 89. He also says that they are getting a lot of fault readings up here at altitude which they believe are due to running higher than 89, particularly in turbo cars. Anyone ever heard anything like this before?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Turbo vehicles are actually less sensitive to altitude than NA cars. I have never heard anyone say your fuel is too good it's causing problems....