XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
KrisHorton
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M and E60 M5

Seriously? Car went full-retard on me...

So, my fiancee and I were driving home from my parents' house after Thanksgiving and as I was passing a couple of cars (2-lane desert highway) I crossed a bit of really rough road. All of a sudden there was a LOUD rattling sound, so we pulled over. It turns out that part of our inner sidewall came undone on our passenger-side rear tire. The tires were somewhat worn but not quite to where they weren't ok to drive on anymore, so this was a surprise. Being that the car is on the OEM runflats, we were able to pull off to the side of the road safely thankfully.

What was really weird though was the fact that the car went absolutely haywire when this happened. We got just about every single warning the car could throw at us and I have no idea what happened. Here is a list of what came up on the iDrive:

Braking and Chassis Stabilization Malfunction
ABS Malfunction
Brake pads worn to minimum thickness
Servotronic Malfunction
EDC Malfunction
Parking Brake Malfunction
Dynamic Damping Control has failed
DSC Malfunction

I got the red shock absorber, the red car on a lift, a yellow parking brake symbol, a check engine light, and a yellow ABS light.

The car literally freaked out. Has this happened to anyone before?

I spoke to my service adviser and told him what happened. I explained that I had new wheels and tires ready to go on the car so he said to put them on and bring it in then as they'd just make me buy a new rear tire. He said these warnings might be due to the damaged tire, but I'm worried it's something more serious. Can anyone give me some advice here or am I at the mercy of the BMW Service techs? I'm just trying to ease my mind until Wednesday when I can take the car to them.

Thanks in advance,

Kris

Last edited by KrisHorton; 11-27-2012 at 12:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Phipsibear42
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Garage List
That's really strange Kris, I've never had my car light up like a Christmas Tree before. The only time something like this happened was when I jacked up the car on one side to swap tires and left the "ACC" setting on in the car. All the readers went crazy like that, but when I put the car back down and drove it for about 5 miles and everything leveled out again they all went away.

I just think our cars are a lil too paranoid But please let us know what happens.
      11-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
KrisHorton
Private
United_States
Rep

Yeah I know there's all sorts of sensors and accelerometers in the car that go nuts at the drop of a hat. I'm hoping the car just sensed the tire let go and went nuts (rather than having someone think they can keep driving for ages on a runflat with a hole in it...).

We'll see. I get the new wheels/tires/TPMS installed on Wednesday so I should know something from the dealer by Thursday/Friday at the latest I hope.

Last edited by KrisHorton; 11-27-2012 at 12:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
ndabunka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d Sport Black/Black

Interesting thread title for a blown tire...yes, it's normal. These vehicles are LOADED with sensors to tell it whenever anything is "out of whack" and if it were me, I would WANT the car to be jumping up and down YELLING when there is a problem. Granted, a blow out is SO obvious that this may seem like overkill to you but think about the guy flying down the autobahn @ 150MPH when a tire starts to slowly go down. The car warns him BEFORE he gets into trouble... it's in it's design.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
KrisHorton
Private
United_States
Rep

It's definitely reassuring that the car tells you to get the hell off of the road, I can't fault it for that.

It just alarmed me when it said EVERYTHING was wrong with it. Fingers crossed that that is all it is and it can be cleared when a new tire is on it.

Oh and the title was just a Tropic Thunder reference. I still love the car.

Last edited by KrisHorton; 11-27-2012 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

It's possible you've damaged one or few wires in the wheel well, hence the error messages.

It always puzzles me why manufacturers leave wires unprotected in such areas. And it's not just BMW, my old land rover - supposedly rugged vehicle - had the same issue of bare wires hanging in close proximity to wheels and suspension.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
wsybert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
It's possible you've damaged one or few wires in the wheel well, hence the error messages.

It always puzzles me why manufacturers leave wires unprotected in such areas. And it's not just BMW, my old land rover - supposedly rugged vehicle - had the same issue of bare wires hanging in close proximity to wheels and suspension.
Yep.... I see the ABS wire, brake pas sensor wire, and a couple going to the damper. Right there where a tire coming apart on the inside, would rip them apart.
Attached Images

1999 528iT 5sp manual (new addition)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
KrisHorton
Private
United_States
Rep

Dude you guys nailed it. I went outside and climbed under the car, felt around and sure enough...all of the wires were ripped out. Looks like the chunk of tire stuck out and ripped the wires to shreds. Wow...a bit of a bad move on BMW's part to leave wires exposed like that.

The real question now is whether this is a warranty matter or an insurance matter? The piece of road that did my tire in had a heavy rumble strip in the center since the road is known for nighttime accidents from people falling asleep. Right as I crossed it the tire went. Friggin sucks but at least it's a tangible issue that can be fixed. I just wonder at what expense.

Last edited by KrisHorton; 11-27-2012 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 02:07 AM   #9
ndabunka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d Sport Black/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisHorton View Post
Dude you guys nailed it. I went outside and climbed under the car, felt around and sure enough...all of the wires were ripped out. Looks like the chunk of tire stuck out and ripped the wires to shreds. Wow...a bit of a bad move on BMW's part to leave wires exposed like that.

The real question now is whether this is a warranty matter or an insurance matter? The piece of road that did my tire in had a heavy rumble strip in the center since the road is known for nighttime accidents from people falling asleep. Right as I crossed it the tire went. Friggin sucks but at least it's a tangible issue that can be fixed. I just wonder at what expense.
Never saw your movie so no wonder I didn't get the reference.

I think the insurance vs. warranty might be decided based on what the tire manufacture states about the condition of the tire. If it had a lot of miles on it, it might be called negligence (from not checking the condition) so that would mean your comprehensive. If it's a low mileage tire (under 20K used) then you might have a claim against the tire manufacture for faulty construction. You probably want to get the serial numbers and such off the failed tire. If it was a damaged road, the state could be liable but the only option I can't fathom would be warranty work. The exposed wires could be bad design which a BMW dealership could probably "choose" to cover themselves to remove any class action suits but it was the failed tire that impaired the electronics so the tire was the culprit, not a failure on the vehicle itself, right?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 05:57 AM   #10
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

I'd check if there's a connector somewhere close that would make replacing the wiring rather easy (and inexpensive). If not, and the repairs are at owner's expense, then I'd explore the option of going after the tire co.... but only if there was enough life in the tire left, which I suspect is not the case.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
KrisHorton
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input guys, the car's heading to the dealership tomorrow for the repairs. Whichever way the cards may fall as far as fault/responsibility, I just want to get it repaired.
Appreciate 0