XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

04-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Night Photography

Got a question...how do I determine the correct shutter speed?

Many different situations mean many different settings, so some generalization can be applied when you answer.

1) For example, shooting a landscape and sky with no ambient light (1am for instance, not in a city). Set up the camera in manual mode, choose an aperature, but how long do you need to expose for? is 1 minute good or do you need 5 minutes to get enough light in? (also keeping a low ISO)

2) Shooting near street lights, etc where there is ambient light. No matter what aperature you chose, the camera won't suggest a shutter speed. So how do you calculate what shutter speed is good? How much do you want to play with ISO versus just taking a longer exposure?

Just getting into night shooting and I know there is some trial and error, but trying to avoid doing a 20 minute exposure just to find out it gets washed out or something.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 01:56 PM   #2
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

trial and error, my friend! It all comes with experience. Take your time, enjoy the night, and play with your camera- it will not be a waste of your time.

A good photograph tells a story, but without words. What you want the photograph to tell the audience all depends on you and your imagination.

Every scene you photograph will be different based on available light, type and direction of light, and the type of picture you want (artistic, 1st person POV, etc).

The "right" shutter speed ultimately depends on many things!

You don't need to start with a 20 minute exposure (which is LONG!). Work your way up to longer exposures; start with short exposures and then watch what happens when you continue to add additional seconds or minutes to the exposure time. When you do that, you will get a feel for how much more light can be added to the picture.

Here are a few quick amateur examples of pics I took 10 years ago with a very basic 100 dollar point and shoot camera set to manual mode.
Lightning picture: F4 25 second exposure
Fireworks: F4.5 8 second exposure
Race cars at Petite LeMans: F3 1.3 second exposure
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

^^

Listen to this guy!

I concur, it's pretty much all trial and error. Play with Bulb mode. Use a remote.

Consider bringing a powerful flashlight and using it to light-paint your foreground.

Bring beers.

Lowest ISO is always best for minimal noise, but no always needed. Each stop of higher ISO cuts your exposure time in half. Play at higher ISO first with shorter exposure times, and if you like a shot but don't like the noise, cut the ISO and increase the exposure.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 07:49 PM   #4
steezc
///Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 SG BMW 335i AP3 STG1

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
^^

Listen to this guy!

I concur, it's pretty much all trial and error. Play with Bulb mode. Use a remote.

Consider bringing a powerful flashlight and using it to light-paint your foreground.

Bring beers.

Lowest ISO is always best for minimal noise, but no always needed. Each stop of higher ISO cuts your exposure time in half. Play at higher ISO first with shorter exposure times, and if you like a shot but don't like the noise, cut the ISO and increase the exposure.

Enjoy!
Definitely great advice! #1 advice is the trial and error lol =D
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep

Thanks for the information. the examples above definitely helped me understand the shutter speed question, along with trial and error.

I will hopefully get some time this weekend to experiment as I am going climbing in Kentucky away from the cities. Beer will be plentiful so this should be a great experiment!

Thank you very much for the responses.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #6
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
For situation 1) you'll want less than 30-sec. if you want to avoid star trails:

Our first night, the stars were bright. by dcstep, on Flickr

For situation 2), pump up the ISO to around 6400 and be sure to hold the camera steady. Perhaps the reason you're not seeing an aperture is that it's impossible for the lens that you have on. The camera is calculating f/1 and your lens only goes to f/4. Pumping up ISO will solve this:

King's Arms Tavern - Colonial Williamsburg by dcstep, on Flickr

Click on the images to go to Flickr and see EXIF data.
      04-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #7
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep

Thank you! You guys are very knowledgable and helpful. I don't use ISO as much as I should. I took some indoor "dark" pictures this weekend and experiemented with ISO. Going to put them on the computer and see if I can see any noise.

Appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #8
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
...I took some indoor "dark" pictures this weekend and experiemented with ISO. Going to put them on the computer and see if I can see any noise.
Guaranteed, you'll see noise. Take it out!!

To minimize noise at high ISOs, don't under-expose. That will add noise when you raise the exposure level in Raw conversion.

Dave
      04-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #9
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Guaranteed, you'll see noise. Take it out!!

To minimize noise at high ISOs, don't under-expose. That will add noise when you raise the exposure level in Raw conversion.

Dave
I meant I was in a darker room so I bumped up the ISO more than I ever have before so I could get proper exposure. The histogram looked centered and full which was a good sign. We shall see!

My editting abilities in lightroom are pretty minable. I need a tutorial on that software. I just play with the dials until the photo looks good to me!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:59 PM   #10
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
I meant I was in a darker room so I bumped up the ISO more than I ever have before so I could get proper exposure. The histogram looked centered and full which was a good sign. We shall see!

My editting abilities in lightroom are pretty minable. I need a tutorial on that software. I just play with the dials until the photo looks good to me!
A good histogram is a good start.

I use DxO, not LR, but adjust Shadows and Highlights (not so much in a night shot, usually), overall Levels, Noise Reduction, Sharpness and Contrast. Don't get too carried away with any one slider and you should be okay. Be careful not to get too carried away with Chromanence NR, since that can crush details.
      05-08-2015, 08:50 PM   #11
steezc
///Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [9.00]
Handheld, low shutter and high ISO.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 09:11 PM   #12
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Chicago on the Saturday evening before the Super Bowl Sunday snowstorm.

Hand held at 0.4sec, ISO 5000, f4 with the Canon 16-35mm f4 IS on a 6D.

Chicago, IL
by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

Sometimes you can get away with a much lower ISO if you have a fast lens and there is a lot of light in the frame, even if it's night. This is ISO 200, so very little noise. Still handheld at 1/125 sec with a non-stabilized lens wide open at f1.4.

St. Augustine, FL

Tripods are a good thing for some night shots. This was a 2 second shot with a non-stabilized lens. No way to hand hold this one. Just some quick trial and error and some chimping.

Coles County Fair 2014

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 05-08-2015 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #13
steezc
///Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Chicago on the Saturday evening before the Super Bowl Sunday snowstorm.

Hand held at 0.4sec, ISO 5000, f4 with the Canon 16-35mm f4 IS on a 6D.

Chicago, IL

Sometimes you can get away with a much lower ISO if you have a fast lens and there is a lot of light in the frame, even if it's night. This is ISO 200, so very little noise. Still handheld at 1/125 sec with a non-stabilized lens wide open at f1.4.

St. Augustine, FL

Tripods are a good thing for some night shots. This was a 2 second shot with a non-stabilized lens. No way to hand hold this one. Just some quick trial and error and some chimping.

Coles County Fair 2014
Last 2 images
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 12:14 PM   #14
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep

Thanks for the feedback! Been practicing and images are coming out. My new tripod is simply amazing. Now I want new glass...this is getting addicting.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 02:40 PM   #15
steezc
///Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! Been practicing and images are coming out. My new tripod is simply amazing. Now I want new glass...this is getting addicting.
This is where it gets expensive. The lens lol
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #16
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Some excellent advice on this thread for any budding night photographer. Especially when it comes to low(ish) iso and shutter speeds if you want good, clear stars, as opposed to streaks.

Sometimes, of course, and especially here in the north of Scotland, all we want are some good clear night skies.
When we do get a good sky and forecast, it's possible to get a good shot at higher iso, this one was taken at 1000 iso, but only to keep the shutter speed shorter.

Canon 5DII, 17-40L, 13 secs, f/4.0, 1000 iso.
      05-29-2015, 01:35 PM   #17
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep

That is a fantastic shot. Simply put.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 01:49 PM   #18
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by allachie9 View Post
Some excellent advice on this thread for any budding night photographer. Especially when it comes to low(ish) iso and shutter speeds if you want good, clear stars, as opposed to streaks.

Sometimes, of course, and especially here in the north of Scotland, all we want are some good clear night skies.
When we do get a good sky and forecast, it's possible to get a good shot at higher iso, this one was taken at 1000 iso, but only to keep the shutter speed shorter.

Great Scott, what a shot!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 02:04 PM   #19
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:

What and where was the light source for the building and lighthouse?

Beautiful image.
      05-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #20
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Thanks guys.
This is Covesea Lighthouse, just outside Lossiemouth, Morayshire, on The Moray Firth coast.
Just about half a mile away, off to the left of this shot, are some brightly illuminated buildings on the base at RAF Lossiemouth.
So, whilst ambient light can usually be a PITA, at this location it works well to illuminate the lighthouse.
      06-14-2015, 08:45 PM   #21
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:

Great shot! Very nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 09:04 PM   #22
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Great shot Alan. The brightness of the lighthouse didn't give you much choice, except to keep the exposure relatively short. Great aurora.