XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #23
eg3
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry1515 View Post
Lesson learned here is never change anything that is stock.
Why? Thinking that Stock = Best is naive. Every mod you do will give you something and take away something else. Since you absolutely don't know what that valve does, the "lesson" you mention is an unsupported claim..

Incredible how the X6 users here are chickening out on doing simple mods to this incredible CUV. The X6 has a lot of performance potential beyond what BMW provided. Why the fear?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #24
Henry1515
Private
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg3 View Post
Why? Thinking that Stock = Best is naive. Every mod you do will give you something and take away something else. Since you absolutely don't know what that valve does, the "lesson" you mention is an unsupported claim..

Incredible how the X6 users here are chickening out on doing simple mods to this incredible CUV. The X6 has a lot of performance potential beyond what BMW provided. Why the fear?
What do you suggest I should do to increase the low end torque after removing the valve? I know X6 has a lot of performance potential but if in doubt better ask before jumping into it. Right?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #25
audioquest
2nd to None!
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M8 GC, M5 30Jahre, X6 50i

Garage List
Quote:
What do you suggest I should do to increase the low end torque after removing the valve? I know X6 has a lot of performance potential but if in doubt better ask before jumping into it. Right?
Actually you can put back the original valve. If it is being cut and weld, I dont see any reason why they cant do it. On your 35i there is one air valve after the muffer, all they need is to cut again and re-weld the air valve after the muffer and joint back the 50i tip. Remember to fix back the air line to the air valve that open and close the valve.

I went to a profession exhaust shop they thell me it can be done. Because I have the same problem as you but very marginal lost of the low end. Because I want the Turbo to kick in faster therefore I will need to fix back the 2 air valve. On the 50i it is attach right after the muffer on each side. There is 2 option:

1. I will be cutting the Hartge exhaust and fit in the orginal airvale.
2. Fit back the original 50i exhaust and fit the Hartge exhaust tip.

Either way the airvalve is staying. Will run DINO test on both. To be frank I really like the sound of the Hartge exhaust when you start the engine but I am really annoy with the slight vibration on the gear and steering because of the very low note it create through out the ride. I would say it is not my kind of driving, I perfere a smooth ride.

I had also done the ECU remapping by power chip. It is very good on the M/S gear.

Last edited by audioquest; 12-27-2009 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #26
Henry1515
Private
Singapore
Rep

Hi

Which brand of the ECU mapping are you using? How much is the HP increase?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #27
audioquest
2nd to None!
Singapore
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi

Which brand of the ECU mapping are you using? How much is the HP increase?
It's the Power Chip. 300kw to 351kw. I choose power chip because it is Australia base.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #28
eg3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Since this is not an NA (Naturally Aspirated, ie, non-turbo) engine, the valve doesn't affect your low end torque. The low end torque-exhaust relationship on NA engines are due to the exhaust pulses, which are not the case in a turbo engine (turboes "chop" the pulses)..

Anyways, in short, the better your exhaust flows, the better your performance will be in these engines but it'll also be loud. Thus, I think the best way to achieve a good performance, esp one that increases low end as well, would be to go with better flowing down pipes. These are available for the 1 and 3 series now but not for the X6 as of yet.

If you're fine with the 2250-2500 rpm boost start range with the X6 right now, try replacing the middle resonator and rear muffler with better flowing ones. I'd go step by step though.. That is, start with the resonator and see if you like the sound increase. If so, replace rear muffler as well..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 03:14 AM   #29
gfoo
Rep
Drives: E89

henry, just go with the supersprint - it's street legal and LTA approved, the tips look great, and the sound is nice and bassy, yet relatively civilized sounding. i've also done jb3, put in a K&N, done forged diverter valves, custom fabricated an air scoop, and lowered with H&R - these are excellent combinations that makes my x6 a silent killer (speed and aggression when you need it, unobnoxious)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 05:10 AM   #30
audioquest
2nd to None!
Singapore
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfoo View Post
henry, just go with the supersprint - it's street legal and LTA approved, the tips look great, and the sound is nice and bassy, yet relatively civilized sounding. i've also done jb3, put in a K&N, done forged diverter valves, custom fabricated an air scoop, and lowered with H&R - these are excellent combinations that makes my x6 a silent killer (speed and aggression when you need it, unobnoxious)
Hi there any picture with your mob?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 06:54 AM   #31
Henry1515
Private
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Hi, can post some pictures? I have already fixed the 50i exhaust tip so can I just buy the box? Not sure about the JB3 but seems to have very good reviews on it. Were can I "learn' and find out more before jumping into it. After this incident I have to be extra careful. Do I need to upgrade my stock rim if I lower the ride?Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 07:41 AM   #32
gfoo
Rep

I'll try posting some pix tomorrow - enjoying my lazy evening

no i believe the 50i tip is incompatible with the supersprint. my jb3 comes with the gauge that allows for on the fly map changes. the supersprint + jb3 + k&n allows for a very very torquey ride that hardly requires WOT at any time (and i'm on full auto, not even paddles). It emits a low, steady growl with much more bassy aggression most of the time.

But when i get irritated with motoring jerkoffs and WOT it, it growls like an enzo, and all those traction control christmas lights start coming on - with a full load of 4 passengers, a battery double that of stock and tons of amps, and its a 35i.

jb3 rocks
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 07:48 AM   #33
audioquest
2nd to None!
Singapore
Rep

Garage List
Can you show me the double battery you install and those amp? I am also starting to install my car audio. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 08:06 AM   #34
gfoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioquest View Post
Can you show me the double battery you install and those amp? I am also starting to install my car audio. Thanks
I don't have pix of the batts without taking out the base cover which I'm not going to do myself without screwing with the audio setup. It's a direct swap of the stock battery with a bigger varta - if you take a look at the battery bay, there actually is enough space for a bigger battery using the stock retainer holes - ie you can just install it wo modifying brackets and stuff. I believe the x50i or x6m uses the bigger battery.

I'm using audison amps, a line driver (can't rem the brand), and morel speakers. It's setup for stealth - beneath the boot floor.

This is an old pix which my installer posted in another forum so there are many changes (like the rims) but it gives you an idea
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #35
gfoo
Rep

audioquest, i just saw your ride - i think compared to yours, mine are but modest, 'budget' mods. i love your hartges!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 09:01 AM   #36
eg3
Private
Rep

$1500 for just a rear muffler is a ripoff, whether it's Supersprint or supershit.. You can achieve the same/similar sound with same/similar quality by a simple $300-400 custom exhaust and keep your 50 tips as well.. That's the other thing I see in these forums: Just because your car is expensive & worth its price, you're thinking any aftermarket mod that is expensive is worth its price as well. It's not. The cost for supersprint to manufacture that muffler is around $200 range at most(unless if it's titanium). The rest is ripping you off and making you happy at the same time.. Just my .02..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #37
audioquest
2nd to None!
Singapore
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
$1500 for just a rear muffler is a ripoff, whether it's Supersprint or supershit.. You can achieve the same/similar sound with same/similar quality by a simple $300-400 custom exhaust and keep your 50 tips as well.. That's the other thing I see in these forums: Just because your car is expensive & worth its price, you're thinking any aftermarket mod that is expensive is worth its price as well. It's not. The cost for supersprint to manufacture that muffler is around $200 range at most(unless if it's titanium). The rest is ripping you off and making you happy at the same time.. Just my .02..
True! Hartge, Hamman exhaust are all made by Supersprint too. I am aware of it even I before I purchase it. Still learning on how to shop around first for impulsive purchase. Thank you for your advice. Really appreciate your comment. By the way do you think our car X6 is also a rip off?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #38
audioquest
2nd to None!
Singapore
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
audioquest, i just saw your ride - i think compared to yours, mine are but modest, 'budget' mods. i love your hartges!
Thank you bradder! Your car also look very "Swee" and "Tok Kong"
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 01:46 AM   #39
audioquest
2nd to None!
Singapore
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Since this is not an NA (Naturally Aspirated, ie, non-turbo) engine, the valve doesn't affect your low end torque. The low end torque-exhaust relationship on NA engines are due to the exhaust pulses, which are not the case in a turbo engine (turboes "chop" the pulses)..

Anyways, in short, the better your exhaust flows, the better your performance will be in these engines but it'll also be loud. Thus, I think the best way to achieve a good performance, esp one that increases low end as well, would be to go with better flowing down pipes. These are available for the 1 and 3 series now but not for the X6 as of yet.

If you're fine with the 2250-2500 rpm boost start range with the X6 right now, try replacing the middle resonator and rear muffler with better flowing ones. I'd go step by step though.. That is, start with the resonator and see if you like the sound increase. If so, replace rear muffler as well..
Sorry, correct me if I am wrong. I thought the X6 35i is also a twin turbo.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 04:02 AM   #40
gfoo
Rep

Quote:
While this is possible in the States, doing it here opens up the risk of hefty fines and penalties with the authorities, not to mention voiding the warranty - the 35i costs US$225,000 here. Thus going for a transport ministry -approved exhaust like the supersprint is the only way to go for many of us.

If this was a US$40k honda civic, we'll prob go the custom exhaust route
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #41
eg3
Private
Rep

Quote:
True! Hartge, Hamman exhaust are all made by Supersprint too. I am aware of it even I before I purchase it. Still learning on how to shop around first for impulsive purchase. Thank you for your advice. Really appreciate your comment. By the way do you think our car X6 is also a rip off?
Is this sarcasm or honest opinion? I think you can figure out the answer to the last question easily by yourself since I'm an X6 owner as well.. It is expensive compared to others but for the build quality, looks, handling and the engine, it's worth it..

My previous SUV was an Infiniti FX35. It's in a different league in many terms from the X6 but it had a great handling and great sound (again, my taste). In terms of exhaust, a FULL cat-back, very high quality and great sounding Nismo exhaust was $700 installed.. Let me re-iterate: Y-pipe, mid pipe and rear muffler for half the price of the cheapest aftermarket rear muffler for the X6. What are the differences between the two? Absolutely nothing in terms of quality. I'd get one and mod it to fit the X6 right now if Nismo wasn't a single in, dual out muffler..

Quote:
Sorry, correct me if I am wrong. I thought the X6 35i is also a twin turbo.
It is. I don't think I said anything claiming it's not turbo. I was trying to explain why the low-end torque - exhaust relationship is irrelevant for our engines:

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #42
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
I realized that after changing to 50i exhaust tip actually reduce low end torque of the 35i. I also realized that there is a value build onto the 35i exhaust and when they change to 50i exhaust they actually do not have that value. That is why the sound is different but I am disappointed with the low in low end torque. Asked the agent to fix back the valve but they said that it is better for the car and many 335i remove that valve. Is it true? What is the main purpose of that valve beside reducing sound and heat up the engine faster. Does it really help in the low end torque? can someone help me?
According to BMW, the main purpose of the valve is to reduce noise when the car is cold. If you were to have BMW install an aftermarket exhaust system, they would remove the valve and plug the vacumn hose anyway.

There are reports, but no hard facts that folks have experienced these issues when disconnecting the vacumn hose and plugging with a golf tee to prevent the valve from closing on 335's.

1. Overall exhaust noise increases 10%.
2. Iritating droning noise when on the highway. Noise is so bad, some folks actually hooked the valve up again. Some claim the car sounds like a ricer Honda. I suspect the valve closes somwhat on the highway to control exhaust drone.
3. Reports of reduced low end and high end torque.
4. Reports that the car/catalytic converters take longer to warm up and that the car pollutes more when cold. Could be an issue at smog inspection time.

Again, nothing scientific here , other then BMW installed the valve for optimum performance and it appears that you lose some performance for a louder/noisier exhaust.

My advice when it comes to exhausts, is to leave it alone, or replace the entire exhaust with a product engineered for your car. Swapping parts between models usually has issues.
      12-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #43
Henry1515
Private
Singapore
Rep

If I knew that they are going to remove the valve I would not have do the change of the exhaust tip. My intention of just changing the exhaust tip is so that I do not mess with the stock setup of the X6 35i.

But now I am more confused, should I fix back the valve or leave it because for turbo engine it should not affect the low end torque. What should I do? I am thinking of trying out other options because it can get worse and I am not very good in this kind of stuff. Can someone here help me? Not thinking of remapping because it will void the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 11:01 AM   #44
eg3
Private
Rep

Quote:
If I knew that they are going to remove the valve I would not have do the change of the exhaust tip. My intention of just changing the exhaust tip is so that I do not mess with the stock setup of the X6 35i.

But now I am more confused, should I fix back the valve or leave it because for turbo engine it should not affect the low end torque. What should I do? I am thinking of trying out other options because it can get worse and I am not very good in this kind of stuff. Can someone here help me? Not thinking of remapping because it will void the warranty.

Leave it as it is right now (no valve) unless you're worried about warranty issues etc. The valve only helps mute the sound at the low end and open up at the high end.. Nothing more.
Appreciate 0