F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Reverse camera OEM style retrofit for $199 shipped - DIY Details
GetBMWParts

01-29-2022, 05:14 PM   #177
MikeyMrtnz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg_nh View Post
So far so good for me, 8 months later. Fingers crossed. If I had to guess, I would say your camera went out, which would be the easiest fix. Do you get any display in reverse? Lines, anything?
Yeah everything is there but the view from the camera lol.

Edit: double checked the cables in the trunk, turns out the cable came loose. All is well now.

Last edited by MikeyMrtnz; 01-29-2022 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 02:19 PM   #178
steveg_nh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5, 2012 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMrtnz View Post
Yeah everything is there but the view from the camera lol.

Edit: double checked the cables in the trunk, turns out the cable came loose. All is well now.
Great news! This has been a great kit so far...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 09:49 AM   #179
Sam!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi Touring

Anyone have intermittent issue where the screen goes black when the camera is not in use? (While driving and using nav/audio) A reboot of the headunit makes everything go back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 11:40 PM   #180
Curious_f30
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Backup camera on f30

Question…I have a 2012 328i with Nav. I would like to add a backup camera. What kind of retrofit to I need? Do I need to have it coded for backup camera before or after I install the camera…or at all?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 04:28 PM   #181
MaYoT
Poland
Rep
Drives: F30 328iX '13

I have installed this camera and it works great, but I have an error code on CIC: "B7F8CB: CID: Image data invalid or faulty" and it won't clear. As I said, everything works great and it doesn't trigger "check engine" light, but is it something that is indicating a problem with some installation steps or is it normal?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 11:46 AM   #182
vky99
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 320i

Guys, thanks for much on the reverse camera suggestion,

I have a question if i want to add reverse camera and carplay togethar is there a module that you recommend for self install..... i have the one with Navigation(8.8 inch screen)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 11:48 AM   #183
shutterlife
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport AW

Just did the install to MY 2013 F30 328i. Previously installed a bimmer-tech NBT Evo ID6 HU with 8.8" touchscreen (maybe three years or so ago). The HU was dead, and that was the reason for the upgrade. Always wanted a back-up camera, but I couldn't justify the MMI upgrade. Finally pulled the trigger on this unit, as I'm preparing the car for my daughter when she learns to drive. Install was flawless, I would say it took about 2.5 hours, and that was taking my time. My biggest struggle was fitting all the cables back in behind the HU. Considering I had to deal with two wire harness, one for the MBT EVO HU, and one for the backup camera. Reading this thread, and watching YouTube videos really helped. Also having all the right tools.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 06:49 PM   #184
matteo
Rep
Drives: '17 440i xDrive 6MT

Just received my kit in the mail... going to be (from what I see on this thread) the first to give it a try on a manual transmission. Wish me luck!

... and yes, I did speak with CarNavi and specifically ordered one for a MT, they said it was possible
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 09:35 PM   #185
zrekt
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo View Post
Just received my kit in the mail... going to be (from what I see on this thread) the first to give it a try on a manual transmission. Wish me luck!

... and yes, I did speak with CarNavi and specifically ordered one for a MT, they said it was possible
Which one did you get? All the ones on the website say they don't work on MT.

I have a '17 MT with NBTevo and can't seem to figure out which one I need.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 09:18 AM   #186
matteo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrekt View Post
Which one did you get? All the ones on the website say they don't work on MT.

I have a '17 MT with NBTevo and can't seem to figure out which one I need.
That's exactly what I have... I just emailed them and asked

BMW NBT EVO ID5/ID6 Aftermarket Rearview Camera System, and then put "My car has a manual transmission" in the comments when I ordered.

I'll report back when I get it all installed, it may not be today as planned tho.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 11:07 PM   #187
zrekt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo View Post
That's exactly what I have... I just emailed them and asked

BMW NBT EVO ID5/ID6 Aftermarket Rearview Camera System, and then put "My car has a manual transmission" in the comments when I ordered.

I'll report back when I get it all installed, it may not be today as planned tho.
Please keep me updated!

I ordered an andream one and the harness to the headunit would not fit as the connector depth was not the same as you can see in attached picture. Even when i took the lock feature off completely it still did not work.

I was emailing with carnavi support and they sent me a picture with measurements of their headunit connector, it appears to be the same dimensions (~5/8" along red arrow) as the one I got from andream. I am gonna hold off on ordering for a bit, hopefully you are able to get yours to work.

OEM headunit coupler on left, andream on right.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 08:41 AM   #188
matteo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrekt View Post
Please keep me updated!

I ordered an andream one and the harness to the headunit would not fit as the connector depth was not the same as you can see in attached picture. Even when i took the lock feature off completely it still did not work.

I was emailing with carnavi support and they sent me a picture with measurements of their headunit connector, it appears to be the same dimensions (~5/8" along red arrow) as the one I got from andream. I am gonna hold off on ordering for a bit, hopefully you are able to get yours to work.

OEM headunit coupler on left, andream on right.
I'm seemingly having the same issue with CarNavi, altho I'm going to try again today. The wire harness does not seem to fit into the HU, but CarNavi support says it should... has anyone else had this same issue?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 03:25 PM   #189
Tommy D
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW 440i GC, 2005 BMW 330i

Hey Matteo,
I just got the Carnaviplayer kit, ID5/ID6, Have the same HU you do it seems. I figure I hook everything up first before running the wires to the rear of the car to the camera. Taking some of the plugs apart was a pain, but got everything hooked up and decided to test in the car. Hook the battery back up and I got a blank screen. Tried reseating the large plug on the back of the HU and still no dice. Checked the fiber optic cables and it was fully seated in the plug and clipped.

So I took everything back apart and wired it back to factory and hoped for the best. Success, I have my screen back. So I decided to just put everything back together and call it a day. 3hrs total, but now I know how to take my dash apart.

I suspect the new plug does not fully seat all the way into the HU like you are experiencing.
After I was done, I did look at the square plug again and the swing latch does not fully open due to the wires in the way. I bent back the wires so the latch could open fully. Maybe that is what needs to be done in order for it to seat properly into the HU?
But I saw above where Zrekt took the latch/lock off completely and still didn't work.
Now that I looking at the plug, I am wondering if by removing the latch tab on the one side, and also the little ledge at the fiber optic connection at the top end of the plug, it would allow the plug to fully seat? Again, I have the car put back together, so another day of testing in the future, unless you beat me to it.

I wish these posts came up before I placed my order. I suspect the plugs are universal and only fit the older style Headunits.

Let me know.

Last edited by Tommy D; 11-05-2023 at 06:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 08:23 AM   #190
zrekt
Rep

Bit of an update for others experiencing problems with the manual transmission quadlock not fitting.

I ended up returning the andream one and ordering a bimmertech.

The bimmertech one has the same problem (coupler too short and doesn't lock). However, everything still seems to work even with coupler not engaged. I reached out to bimmertech support, and they said
'This may look a bit different, but this is actually how the quadlock is fastened and unfortunately, there is not much we can do about it without modifying its fastenings on the sides.
Of course, this does not interfere with anything and will never affect how the connection works, and of course, it will not be possible in the future for it to suddenly disconnect on its own, so there is nothing to worry about.'

With the andream unit, I couldnt get the display to turn on with the same condition.

I have reverse camera and wireless android auto/carplay installed and working on my 17 340i with MT - also, somehow my dynamic parking lines worked with no coding. I did not purchase this option

Last edited by zrekt; 03-27-2024 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 03:11 PM   #191
zrekt
Rep

see attached. lmk if you have other questions
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 10:04 PM   #192
wishbone
///M
United_States