XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-11-2023, 08:38 PM   #1
lofud
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335D

X6 extremely poor range key fob

Hi all.
I have been reading everything on the internet I can and every forum I can but can't find a answer to my issue.

I have a 2011 X6 e71 no comfort access.

The key fob range is roughly the thickness of the glass on the back window.
I basically have to be touching the back window at the top to lock/unlock the car.
Sometimes I can get a little further but no more than roughly 1 meter from the back window (this only happens very infrequently)

Even if I'm inside the car the range isn't any better.

I have tried new battery in 1 of the fobs (all 3 have the same problem) with no benefit.

I replaced the car battery, no success

I have tried the topgear chin trick, no success.

I tried wrapping a few coils of wire around the fob to act as a aerial, no success.

I have had a look at the antenna amplifier under the rear window next to the high stop light and all is plugged in, I unplugged all plugs and replugged in with no improvement.

I have checked my amplifier is frequency 868 and key is 868

If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to try anything as walking up to my car and touching the back window is getting embarrassing.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 10:30 PM   #2
joannsmith
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofud View Post
Hi all.
I have been reading everything on the internet I can and every forum I can but can't find a answer to my issue.

I have a 2011 X6 e71 no comfort access.

The key fob range is roughly the thickness of the glass on the back window.
I basically have to be touching the back window at the top to lock/unlock the car.
Sometimes I can get a little further but no more than roughly 1 meter from the back window (this only happens very infrequently)
geometry dash scratch
Even if I'm inside the car the range isn't any better.

I have tried new battery in 1 of the fobs (all 3 have the same problem) with no benefit.

I replaced the car battery, no success

I have tried the topgear chin trick, no success.

I tried wrapping a few coils of wire around the fob to act as a aerial, no success.

I have had a look at the antenna amplifier under the rear window next to the high stop light and all is plugged in, I unplugged all plugs and replugged in with no improvement.

I have checked my amplifier is frequency 868 and key is 868

If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to try anything as walking up to my car and touching the back window is getting embarrassing.
Did you try reprogramming the key fob?

Last edited by joannsmith; 11-21-2023 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0