XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

01-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
Flash237
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Swapping parts from 135i to X6

I am about to make a deal happen with an X6 that has an N54. At this time I have a 135 with the mods listed below. I was wondering what parts might fit and might not fit. I know the JB4 won't be a problem but I was mostly concerned about the intercooler, piping to the intercooler, chargepipe, and if possible, seeing if the catless downpipes could fit as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

JB4 tune
ETS 5" Intercooler
ETS Charge Pipe W/ Tial Q blow off valve
AFE Scoops
Active Autowerke Catless Downpipes
Active Autowerke Exhaust

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
badblkX6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6 35i

I am not entirely sure. I had a 335i (N55) and traded it in for a X6 (N55).

The tune should work.
The intercooler should work.

I don't think the Afe air scoops will work due to a different grille setup.
I don't think the charge pipe work based off 335i N55 to X6 N55.
I don't think the downpipes will work because the X6 is all wheel drive.

I am iffy on if the exhaust will work. The inlet on the 335 is different than it is on my X6. I am not familiar with the layout on the 1 series, but there is a decent amount of room under the X6 in the muffler area. Worst case scenario is you take your Active Autowerke's mufflers to a local muffler shop and they fab up some piping going into the mufflers and exiting the mufflers through the bumper.

Hope this helps and this is just my observations coming from the same engine on the 335 to X6.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
Flash237
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblkX6 View Post
I am not entirely sure. I had a 335i (N55) and traded it in for a X6 (N55).

The tune should work.
The intercooler should work.

I don't think the Afe air scoops will work due to a different grille setup.
I don't think the charge pipe work based off 335i N55 to X6 N55.
I don't think the downpipes will work because the X6 is all wheel drive.

I am iffy on if the exhaust will work. The inlet on the 335 is different than it is on my X6. I am not familiar with the layout on the 1 series, but there is a decent amount of room under the X6 in the muffler area. Worst case scenario is you take your Active Autowerke's mufflers to a local muffler shop and they fab up some piping going into the mufflers and exiting the mufflers through the bumper.

Hope this helps and this is just my observations coming from the same engine on the 335 to X6.
I'm sure the exhaust won't work since the X6 has a dual exit and the 135i exhaust has a twin exit. I would be very happy if the intercooler fits. I don't understand how it wouldn't fit unless its a clearance issue with the bumper.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 04:39 PM   #4
RaceTruk
Major
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

i did alot of this kind of research getting into my N55 x5 knowing of all the 135 upgrades that are available trying to figure out what would work as far as downpipe and chargepipe intake etc.
Realoem.com is your friend.
compare parts.
i just did for you on DP and chargepipe and the OEM part numbers are NOT the same.
on intercooler.
the OEM x5/x6 intercooler is actually quite larger than the E9x/E8x OEM IC.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...x6+intercooler
while that doesnt mean efficiency, its hard to tell if its worth an upgrade (or for you transfering over).
for my N55 x5, its all F10 535 performance parts, ER DP and chargepipe, BMS f10 intake etc.
im running cobb stage 2 and the FMIC seems to be holding ok.

maybe the x6 N54 is like the z4 n54, or maybe the e60 n54.
cross reference the z4 (as the e60 is older so i doubt it) as i know the z4 has specifically made DPs and CPs for it i believe by ER or maybe it was a different company.

goodluck
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
RaceTruk
Major
Rep

update....lol
z4, E60 535xi and 535 no go on CP or DPs.

the n54 CP can work but you may just have to shorten it and do a custom coupler....but its not like a straightforward swap
its worth holding onto that and the FMIC (but again the OEM one is likley larger then the ETS) and seeing if you can get them to work

you could always gut your downpipes lol
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
Flash237
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTruk View Post
update....lol
z4, E60 535xi and 535 no go on CP or DPs.

the n54 CP can work but you may just have to shorten it and do a custom coupler....but its not like a straightforward swap
its worth holding onto that and the FMIC (but again the OEM one is likley larger then the ETS) and seeing if you can get them to work

you could always gut your downpipes lol

Thanks for your help!!! I think I'm going to have to ask the guys at Active Autowerke to help me with some downpipes and a chargepipe

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
RaceTruk
Major
Rep

I spoke with them bc I saw that bimmian.com has their products listed as working for the x6 but bimmian is incorrect in their configurator.
Hopefully they will make some custom stuff.
It would be as easy as sending your OEM to them.
ER was willing to do this for me if the f10 products didn't work
Appreciate 0