F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Best diff fluid for MPerformance LSD
Studio RSR

05-16-2019, 11:09 AM   #45
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Benefits of the LSD will be noticed during spirited driving, especially under throttle upon exiting a curve. You won't notice much under normal driving conditions. It's really best suited for the track or crushing canyons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbear View Post
So you are saying it's hard to tell the benefits when driving normally?

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 05:28 PM   #46
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbear View Post
Interesting, in the comparison review I linked above, that guy stated the LSD is only useful and comes into play with DSC completely off otherwise the "nannies" kick in before the LSD kicks in. Which means the LSD is useless and doesn't kick in if driver is in any other mode ??

That made me contemplate the purchase if the LSD is only useful with DSC completely off.
FYI- the guy who said that is completely wrong. It is the exact opposite. The MP LSD is a mechanical system that works up to 30%. The eLSD function of the DSC is set to begin above 30%. That is why there is no coding required. BMW smartly designed the MP LSD to work in correlation with the eDSC system. Most of this information can be found in the BMW Information document that came out when the LSD part was released. It is posted at the top of this forum.
Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
MAKH 588.50
      05-18-2019, 05:34 PM   #47
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
Benefits of the LSD will be noticed during spirited driving, especially under throttle upon exiting a curve. You won't notice much under normal driving conditions. It's really best suited for the track or crushing canyons.
Also should be noticeable during bad weather by providing better traction sooner since it is a mechanical system takes effect immediately when one wheel begins to slip, while the eDSC has to hit a certain higher threshold of slippage before it starts doing its thing by applying brakes at certain wheels, etc.
Appreciate 1
MAKH 588.50
      06-08-2019, 06:32 AM   #48
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFulton View Post
When first installed the car seemed "tail happy" like it was breaking traction and the rear end was trying to come around.
Now with miles on the car, I am really happy with it as it just seems to squat and put down the the power.
I tracked it right after install and when I was still getting used to it. It was noticeably beneficial on deceleration into turns. It still felt tail happy on WOT out of tight turns.
It now feels settled and like this is the way the car should have come from the factory.
With the increased torque from FBO & tune; I think this is a must do.
I need to track it again now that the car seems settled and I am used to it.
Just had mine installed on Thursday and am noticing an odd light scraping sound. It's not loud at all and only happens from 1st to 2nd gear when driving straight. The car is definitely adjusting to the LSD because as you mentioned it does feel tail happy during my first initial turns under light to medium throttle. Taking it in to have my concern addressed but after the break in period I'm excited go see how the car will respond when driving more aggressive. You mentioned feeling and hearing the LSD engage, can you describe the sound you heard?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 10:19 AM   #49
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
Just had mine installed on Thursday and am noticing an odd light scraping sound. It's not loud at all and only happens from 1st to 2nd gear when driving straight. The car is definitely adjusting to the LSD because as you mentioned it does feel tail happy during my first initial turns under light to medium throttle. Taking it in to have my concern addressed but after the break in period I'm excited go see how the car will respond when driving more aggressive. You mentioned feeling and hearing the LSD engage, can you describe the sound you heard?
The "light scraping sound" is an accurate way to describe the initial noise mine made. It occurred similar as you describe, straight during acceleration in low gear and mine was pronounced when I would purposefully accelerate through tight turns. All noise has now gone away.
I'll be interested to hear what they say when you take it in. Could be an issue, but might just be the LSD doing it's thing until it finds it's happy place.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 10:50 AM   #50
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFulton View Post
The "light scraping sound" is an accurate way to describe the initial noise mine made. It occurred similar as you describe, straight during acceleration in low gear and mine was pronounced when I would purposefully accelerate through tight turns. All noise has now gone away.
I'll be interested to hear what they say when you take it in. Could be an issue, but might just be the LSD doing it's thing until it finds it's happy place.
Agreed, im curious as to what they say and yes i do hear it more when under hard acceleration or coming out of a corner mildly aggressive!

Thanks for the quick response and i will update on Monday

06-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #51
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
I've had the MP LSD installed for about 1.5 years now. Even in pretty normal driving, you'll feel the difference anytime you're applying 30%+ throttle with any steering angle. The back end squats and forces the car to turn in the direction you're steering. At 6/10+ driving, it's a massive difference. Traction is so much more abundant, whether going straight or in the turns. Prior to the LSD the tires would spin badly from a slow roll or around tight turns. Not really anymore and even when there's spin, there's a ton more forward progress rather than just loosing almost all momentum and you can easily steer with the rear. It drives very differently compared to the open diff.
      06-20-2019, 05:52 PM   #52
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Can anyone confirm the correct OEM fluid? Also, how much is needed for full flush?

BMW MSP/A 75W-140 (83222365988):
https://www.bimmerworld.com/Fluids/D...222365988.html

BMW SAF-XJ+FM 75W-140 (83222282583):
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/83222282583/

-----
Edit - Looks like the former is the correct one according to RealOEM:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...27#83222365988

Last edited by dr.roro; 06-20-2019 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 11:53 AM   #53
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.roro View Post
Can anyone confirm the correct OEM fluid? Also, how much is needed for full flush?

BMW MSP/A 75W-140 (83222365988):
https://www.bimmerworld.com/Fluids/D...222365988.html

BMW SAF-XJ+FM 75W-140 (83222282583):
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/83222282583/

-----
Edit - Looks like the former is the correct one according to RealOEM:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...27#83222365988
In the photo is the correct fluid for my M Performance LSD for my 2015 335i xDrive Automatic. (This is the MP LSD that BMW had a world wide fire sale on in 2019 and sold them out).

The LSD needs to be suctioned from the fill hole. Takes one liter. Should be replaced after ~1,800? mile break-in period and every 30k miles after that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Jvac436.50
      11-06-2023, 02:37 PM   #54
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

To revive the old thread as it's coming near 20k since I last changed the fluid, has anyone used non oem fluid for their lsd? I was aiming for 30k interval but it's a pretty simple job so I may just do it when I swap to my winter wheels in a couple of weeks. I used oem for the first change but now I'm nosing around the alternatives. I understand that the fluid for the lsd is supposed to have NO ADDITIVES which rules out most aftermarket and conventional oil brands such as red line, motul, valvoline, mobil1 etc. They all have some additives stated on the bottles. However, I do see ford motorcraft or chrysler/Mopar brand 75w140 diff oil for sale at about half the cost of bmw. Both of these appear to be plain old, additive free diff oils, stating on the bottle "for use with xy and z you may need to add a friction modifier".
It's not that I have a problem paying oe prices, but it's just oil. I'm thinking it shouldn't be a big deal. If another brand meets the spec and is additive free, why should I pay extra for genuine bmw? It's more of a discussion, or for someone to share their experience with non oe brand. I'm not concerned about the price.
Also, I'm finding that I don't drive that much these days. I just had to do an oil change at 12 months because I was barely approaching 5000 miles. Would anyone say that the diff oil is also vulnerable to age constraints even if mileage is low?
By the way, thanks to all who keep manning the forum with helpful replies. I don't post much these days because I long ago found the answers to just about anything I could imagine on the f series, and because mine has been so solid over 5 1/2 years that I really have nothing to talk about. But I plan to keep her going as long as possible and I do appreciate this forum immensely.
      11-06-2023, 06:23 PM   #55
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
To revive the old thread as it's coming near 20k since I last changed the fluid, has anyone used non oem fluid for their lsd?
Currently running redline 75-110 myself, no issues. Fluid is pretty cheap, so personally I plan on checking it at least every year, and more frequently if I start getting more track days in next year.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 1
Jvac436.50
      02-01-2024, 03:33 PM   #56
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Managed to pick up a used M perf LSD, seller said had about 40k miles on it. I'm planning to drain and fill with new fluid, but is there any other maintenance I should be aware of or consider doing? It is off the car so now would be the easiest time.
Jvac436.50
      02-04-2024, 11:55 AM   #57
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
Managed to pick up a used M perf LSD, seller said had about 40k miles on it. I'm planning to drain and fill with new fluid, but is there any other maintenance I should be aware of or consider doing? It is off the car so now would be the easiest time.
Nope, no other serviceable parts. New fluid and fill plug is all you can do. Since there's no drain plug you need a syringe and tubing to suction out and refill through the one hole