XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
messex
Rep
Drives: Black E60 M5

Electric Gremlin?

I've recently had a few weird issues with my 06 X5. For example, the left front headlight works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't. I also get a 'Check Rear Lights' message, and one side isn't working fully in the rear. So, I purchased two new bulbs for that side, replaced, them, and didn't help. Not really sure what else to check, as a fuse would have taken out both sides. Anybody else see this type of issue with the brake/rear lights?

Thanks,
Mark
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
GmoneyLI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M

My 2000 4.4 gives me the check brake light warning every now and then but the lights work fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #3
messex
Rep
Drives: Black E60 M5

Well, for a while, it seemed that this was the case with mine - it would say check the lights, I would, and they would be fine. Now, though, the Brake light on the one side isn't working. I may try to 'swap' the two 'holders' for the bulb, just to see if something is shorted out there, or earlier up the wiring chain. After that, not sure what my options are, other than take it in, which I'm trying to avoid.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
GmoneyLI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Maybe check the contacts on the light housing. There is only one wire connecting tithe tail light and the power is distributed to the three bulbs through those metal contact plates. Check those to make sure they aren't loose.
Appreciate 0