XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Brand new X5 with a strong burnt smell

This is the 2nd 2012 msport I\'ve purchased in the past 5 months. The first one was in a bad wreck in December. So I just picked up the new one today and after parking it in the garage for a few minutes the whole garage smelled like burnt plastic. My first one didn\'t have this problem. Has anyone else that just took delivery on a new one had this problem? I\'m wondering if i should take It in to get checked? No check engine lights or errors on the dash. Thanks on advance.
      01-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
Biff Grissel
stankmouth
United_States
Rep
Drives: fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
This is the 2nd 2012 msport I\'ve purchased in the past 5 months. The first one was in a bad wreck in December. So I just picked up the new one today and after parking it in the garage for a few minutes the whole garage smelled like burnt plastic. My first one didn\'t have this problem. Has anyone else that just took delivery on a new one had this problem? I\'m wondering if i should take It in to get checked? No check engine lights or errors on the dash. Thanks on advance.
most likely just the smell of ur new brakes
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

I hope that's what it is. I checked all under the hood. Nothing looks melted or burnt and all of the exhaust pipes and manifolds are clean. The tubes that go to an from the intercollegiate are some type I rubber, so that may be it as well?
      01-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Living
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Have the same problem, but not all the time.
It's wired and i can't find anything....

Let me know if you found something!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
GmoneyLI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Are you sure it's burnt plastic you are smelling? I had this problem with my B7 and they told me it was carbon in the exhaust. It was a weird smell and very hard to pinpoint exactly what it smelled like.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 02:14 AM   #6
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Escalade

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmoneyLI
Are you sure it's burnt plastic you are smelling? I had this problem with my B7 and they told me it was carbon in the exhaust. It was a weird smell and very hard to pinpoint exactly what it smelled like.
This, happened to one of my vehicles and drove me fucking crazy. Dealer didn't know what it was a first and then sprayed Lysol in my air vents, so then at times I had burnt lysol smell. Which surprisingly the smell of Lysol lasts very long...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
GmoneyLI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M

The dealer told me I had to get on the car hard and often to burn the carbon off. I used to drive that car pretty hard and needless to say the smell never went away lol they refused to change the exhaust system

The first time I smelled it I thought it was BO lol I thought my boy riding shotgun was a filthy mofo lol
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
55 cent
Canada
Rep
Drives: SOLD 2007 X5, SOLD 2004 E46

I am getting a burning smell as well. It comes and goes.
      02-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

I've got 250 mile on it now and the smell has gone away. I can only assume some kind of adhesive coating got on the exhaust. Time will tell..