XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Clean Diesel/AdBlue/Bluetec NOT Designed for Cold Weather

It is that time of year again up here, and as such it's time for our diesels to head back to the shop with CEL's. Nothing new, it is the same thing every year, as we get these temps typically for a week or two. The AdBlue delivery systems are not designed to handle temperatures of -30 C or colder and freeze up. Neither BMW or Mercedes has an answer other than to thaw them out and reset the CEL's (MB replaced the entire delivery system the first year when it was even colder). Major pita as we're 60 miles from our dealership.

While I am fully aware that the sales to climates such as ours will be low, it is still disappointing that these, supposedly great, German engineers can't figure out how to set up these $80K vehicles to function in all conditions.

Oh well, just vehicles. Off to Rover to have a look while dropping off the ML at the shop. And yes, fully aware of the potential issues with a RR.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
m3the01
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 AW-CI 35d aka Snow White

Sucks buddy,

U park indoors or outside?
      02-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Just a quick update.

Another EGR valve.

Someone, on another forum, asked about what the big diesel trucks do to deal with the cold and their DEF delivery systems. I was fortunate to have a discussion with one of the techs from Detroit Diesel tonight. Great guys that cold weather test at a location where I have a business.

Firstly, he confirmed that DEF will freeze when exposed to -30 C for any extended period of time. Their solution was that they added a U shaped engine coolant line that runs around the DEF delivery line.

They took the DEF tank, dropped it in a cold chamber at -30 C overnight so that it was frozen solid when they reinstalled it in the morning. They then fired up the truck and let it run to see how it operated. Apparently, to meet emissions, they had to have DEF flowing within 30 minutes. With the coolant line they met that requirement.

Forgive me, if this seems overly simplistic. Keep in mind I'm trying to recount the explanation after several Superbowl cocktails.

The point is that there appears to be a very simple fix that MB and BMW have chosen not to address.
      02-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #4
delio13
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35d

hello there,

Bought a new 2011 X5 35d about a month ago at The BMW Store in Vancouver drove it it back 1600 km home over night it in 100 Milehouse at -30 degrees celcius started like a charm the next day and -40 degrees celcius in Williamslake but it took a while to warm the engine...but I was worried that things will break cause this is my first diesel vehicle didn't know what to expect.....but on the other hand i was very impress of how it handle and perform...thats why we spend the money to have the best...
Appreciate 0