XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40D 2019

Weird "wind" noise with speed excess of 140 km/hour

Hello fellows,
After app 2 months ownership of a X5 30D 2012, I yesterday experienced a problem.
As living in Switzerland where speed limit is 120km/h, I have not noticed the problem before yesterday driving abroad in Germany and exceeding the speed.
When passing around 140 (and higher) a sudden high "wind" noise appeared from the passenger side (right side of car) - it sounded really weird, like a plastic bag fluttering in the wind - very loud. As soon as reducing the speed below 130 it disappears and when increasing it comes again
The noise sounds like it comes from the outside of the car - I have checked and nothing looks like it is loose.
This is really annoying......

Is there anybody in this forum having experienced the same?

Cheers
JensM
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Check out this thread. Might help out.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I have this problem as well, but I thought it was the windshield wipers. Next time, I'm going to pull off the covers in the front bumper and see if that resolves anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I have this problem as well, but I thought it was the windshield wipers. Next time, I'm going to pull off the covers in the front bumper and see if that resolves anything.
You dont need to pull them off. You need to tape the hole, as per thread topic.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 01:55 AM   #5
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
Check out this thread. Might help out.
Thanks Serge,
Just read this and my x5 have same (2) holes in each side. Will try to tape them, but as in both side of the car I would imagine the noise to appear from both side, my noise is only coming from the right side of car. Anyway will give it a try.

Btw, what is the function of those holes?

Thanks
Jens
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensM View Post
Thanks Serge,
Just read this and my x5 have same (2) holes in each side. Will try to tape them, but as in both side of the car I would imagine the noise to appear from both side, my noise is only coming from the right side of car. Anyway will give it a try.

Thanks
Jens
The only function is that it makes it possible to easily remove them.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Serge,

Thanks
Jens
Update.
Have not got the time to test at the higher speed yet, but just added the tape closing two holes in each side.
As mine is the M sport version, I got the fog lights placed there. I did notice that the cover in the passenger side was more loose around the fog light than in the left side - can actually push it back and forth against the light, can't in the left side. I am wondering if this can cause the noise (as only in the right side) when driving fast? When sitting and pressing the cover against the light there is a 'sound' and wondering if this is what I hear when driving. Will have to see if I can tape this as well. Will keep the forum posted

JenSm
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Update.
Have not got the time to test at the higher speed yet, but just added the tape closing two holes in each side.
As mine is the M sport version, I got the fog lights placed there. I did notice that the cover in the passenger side was more loose around the fog light than in the left side - can actually push it back and forth against the light, can't in the left side. I am wondering if this can cause the noise (as only in the right side) when driving fast? When sitting and pressing the cover against the light there is a 'sound' and wondering if this is what I hear when driving. Will have to see if I can tape this as well. Will keep the forum posted

JenSm
UPDATE
It actually turned out to be the cover in the right side making the noice!
After taken it off (just need to pull), I found out that that there were app 3mm air between the cover and the frame of the fog lamp. I added some "tape" 2mm thick (the one you put on the legs of a chair so it does not make marks in the floor). By this there were no free space in-between and no noise when driving fast - have just been through Germany where I really could test it - no noise any longer

Cheers
JensM
Appreciate 0