XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #23
Kanuc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M Melbourne Red

Winter tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by macd1995 View Post
Okay, so it sounds like you are saying 19" vs 20" doesn't matter as much as the Winter vs All-Season tires? I will check this forum for your other posts on this topic.
I'm saying if you have lots of snow and ice ruts or extreme conditions, go for 19". If you have sporadic snow and mostly dry conditions, stay with 20". I recommend against All-seasons.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #24
djosephs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6M

I have a 2012 X6M and I can tell you that the HUD changes when you are in M mode. You will see a cool multicolor tach and large number display to show which gear you are in along with, of course, your speed. The non-M HUD mode is typical as with other models.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #25
K900 NY
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 MCB/SO

HUD is great. One of the best options for the X6. I know everyone is different but for me it beats having to look down at the speedometer which, more often than not, is blocked by the steering wheel.

I don't have the rear entertainment system. I saw it and it was underwhelming. Go with the iPad holders.

I traded in a '10 black X6 35i and ordered a '12 X6 50i, pretty much loaded. I was getting pretty tired of seeing black X6's everywhere (lots of white ones out there too). Dealer told me 8 out of 10 X6's are black. I nearly went with the vermillion, but changed it to space grey. Couldn't be happier. Black perforated leather and aluminum trim.....looks sharp IMO. I had a beige interior on a 535 a few years ago. It was too bright, tough to keep clean and, well, just didn't cut it for me.

Some other options I really like:

The leather dashboard (you should really check it out)
The 20" 336 style rims (I'm in NY and yeah we get a few snow days but not nearly enough to warrant an all weather set....IMO)
The premium sound system (huge difference over the standard eqp)

They're including sports seats with the new M package. Strongly recommend comfort seats. Way WAY better than the sport seats.
Attached Images

Last edited by K900 NY; 04-17-2012 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: photos
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #26
djosephs
Enlisted Member
Rep

My 2012 X6M is also space grey with black leather and brushed aluminum trim. A great combo! I put on style 215 wheels in ferric grey. The big 21s are awesome.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #27
macd1995
macd1995
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328CI, 2013 X6 5.0

Garage List
2008 BMW 328 CI  [0.00]
2013 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by K900 NY View Post
HUD is great. One of the best options for the X6. I know everyone is different but for me it beats having to look down at the speedometer which, more often than not, is blocked by the steering wheel.

I don't have the rear entertainment system. I saw it and it was underwhelming. Go with the iPad holders.

I traded in a '10 black X6 35i and ordered a '12 X6 50i, pretty much loaded. I was getting pretty tired of seeing black X6's everywhere (lots of white ones out there too). Dealer told me 8 out of 10 X6's are black. I nearly went with the vermillion, but changed it to space grey. Couldn't be happier. Black perforated leather and aluminum trim.....looks sharp IMO. I had a beige interior on a 535 a few years ago. It was too bright, tough to keep clean and, well, just didn't cut it for me.

Some other options I really like:

The leather dashboard (you should really check it out)
The 20" 336 style rims (I'm in NY and yeah we get a few snow days but not nearly enough to warrant an all weather set....IMO)
The premium sound system (huge difference over the standard eqp)

They're including sports seats with the new M package. Strongly recommend comfort seats. Way WAY better than the sport seats.
I am sold on tech package. I am now struggling with a couple little things. We will go with Midnight blue. Love Saddle, but the combo is a little drastic, and though there will be kids mine & my sisters, the beige looks more classy than any other color. Oyester is fresh, but we like the fact that the car is one color inside with beige and not two toned (as with ever other color except all black-- which I don't like)... SO that rules out leather dash.

Will also get:
LED
Premium SOund
3 rear seats (A MUST-- could not buy a 4 seated SUV, no matter how much I liked it!)
Cold Weather
Running Boards and Soft close doors.

I love the 20" M Package rims, but really not sure about driving in snow. For those who have them, do you also have kids that you transport? SO even though I LOVE the M Package rims, I do also like the 19" stock on the 50i. I don't need all that horse power in NYC.. I just got t-boned by a woman making an illegal u-turn and my 328 has been in the shop for 1 month. My wife is 4 mos currently and her side got hit, so I vowed to drive slow and careful-- 35i is good enough.

Question: How the hell can I get the 50i stock rims on the 35i and the chrome grill and trim that are on the 50i base package!? The "Build Your Own" site has black trim for every model except the 50i non-Sports Activity or MPackage. Difficult to justify $9K more for nicer trim, chrome grill & rims!!!!

Do i have a shot?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #28
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Leather dash, really makes the interior much nicer.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #29
Love_My_X6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X6 35i

I originally had my ordered Midnight Blue 35i as a beige interior. I think it will look great with the Midnight Blue! I think if you love the "saddle" it would also look good. Go with what you love.

I changed my interior to Ivory White. In mine, seldom will any kid under the age of 18 be in the car. Even the 18 year old will only be in it a few times. The change forced me into the contour/comfort seats and nappa leather that I am very excited about.

I have now been obsessed with cleaning products though. I think white will look classy. But it is risky. My husband has the nevada oyster on his 2011 335is. It is almost as light as a white and it has been fine and has no marks or stains, which swayed me to take the risk. Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by Love_My_X6; 04-18-2012 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #30
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuc View Post
Dale I have looked at this issue a zillion times. I'm sure I've posted about it on this forum too. Talked to Tire Rack guys. Also I've addressed the tracking issue (rear tires wider track than front ones).

My conclusions:

1. I have 19" winter tires, all same size. They provide a bit more leeway in hard snow and ice ruts, where the sidewall will flex. The higher sidewall provides more give to avoid rim damage and also some more comfort (you get tossed around less).

2. If you have a lot of snow and ice conditions, the 19" tires make sense to me. Here in Alberta, we get some snow but really not much - our roads are bone dry most of the time. I'm not sure I'd do the 19" tires next time.

3. The tracking issue is, to my mind, not a big deal for most people. However, the wider a tire, the less performance on snow and probably ice (if you can get any performance on ice) - the weight of the car is distributed over a smaller surface area and therefore "bites" more. I think if you look at rally cars, they tend to have skinny tires on gravel, sand and snow courses.

4. If ice is a serious problem and it is legal where you live, there is no comparison to studded tires. Absolutely the best thing out there. Had some for 4 years (not on an X6) and it was like driving on rails in the winter.

5. All-season tires are a poor choice for winter. A compromise at best, a safety hazard at worst. Esp for the X6.

6. Run flat for me is important for the X6 for several reasons. Primarily, I like the slight additional stiffness - BMW engineered the vehicle with that kind of tire stiffness in mind. Also for safety - if I'm in the middle of nowhere and without a spare...

6. Ultimately, the most critical choice is the model of tire. There are not many choices for us. I hated the Pirelli Scorpions. The Bridgestone Blizzak WM-25s are OK. Some of the issue may just be that I was used to driving lighter vehicles - the X6 is a fat pig and you can't expect miracles out of the tires. My wife's 335i xdrive is awesome on her winter Michelins.
Please share your experience with the Pirelli Scorpions. I recently bought a set this past weekend, (couldn't pass up the deal) but i haven't had them mounted yet. Any feedback with experience(good or Bad) with these tires would be highly appreciated.

In regards to the all season tires, I have always put after market wheels on every car I had. Currently, I have been driving a 2009 X6 for over three years now. I put aftermarket 22" wheels with all season Nexxen tires on the X6 years back when I had the car for barely a month. I am in Queens NY. I know we haven't seen any really harsh winters in the past few years, but I can say I have been quite satisfied with the capabilities of the all season tire I have been riding on for years... and I just hit 31000 miles this month and the are still running strong. I ride these wheels all year round.
      04-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #31
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
I am sold on tech package. I am now struggling with a couple little things. We will go with Midnight blue. Love Saddle, but the combo is a little drastic, and though there will be kids mine & my sisters, the beige looks more classy than any other color. Oyester is fresh, but we like the fact that the car is one color inside with beige and not two toned (as with ever other color except all black-- which I don't like)... SO that rules out leather dash.

Will also get:
LED
Premium SOund
3 rear seats (A MUST-- could not buy a 4 seated SUV, no matter how much I liked it!)
Cold Weather
Running Boards and Soft close doors.

I love the 20" M Package rims, but really not sure about driving in snow. For those who have them, do you also have kids that you transport? SO even though I LOVE the M Package rims, I do also like the 19" stock on the 50i. I don't need all that horse power in NYC.. I just got t-boned by a woman making an illegal u-turn and my 328 has been in the shop for 1 month. My wife is 4 mos currently and her side got hit, so I vowed to drive slow and careful-- 35i is good enough.

Question: How the hell can I get the 50i stock rims on the 35i and the chrome grill and trim that are on the 50i base package!? The "Build Your Own" site has black trim for every model except the 50i non-Sports Activity or MPackage. Difficult to justify $9K more for nicer trim, chrome grill & rims!!!!

Do i have a shot?
The kidney grilles are easy to replace. Less that 5 minutes DIY. I think you should be able to talk to your dealer about ordering it when building your own, but if they cannot help you at that time, you can order titanium grilles, gloss black grilles and or even have the grilles painted to match any color of your choice if you please. That is an easy fix. As for the chrome trim vs the shadow line trim, same rules apply. There are many ways to change these options out if your dealer is unable to pull those strings for you during the production of your X6.

I must say you will like your choices either way. I still think the X6 is an awesome car to drive and still looks stunning after 4 years and counting. In fact, IMHO, the X6 fits so well that this is the first car that I have had that when it it time to upgrade, I will be getting the newer model.... as long as she still is looking good after her facelift aroung 2015-2016....lol

Enjoy and stay safe on the roads!
      04-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #32
djosephs
Enlisted Member
Rep

My dealer installed blacked out OEM grilles. About $200 I recall. Looks great especially if you have black shadow line trim. Also you can replace the orange strip reflectors over the front tires with European original replacement clear/white reflectors. In got mine for less than $50 from ECS tuning and installed them in 10 minutes. Gets ugly orange off the car. These are two inexpensive changes that give the X6 a nice look.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #33
macd1995
macd1995
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328 CI  [0.00]
2013 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djosephs View Post
My dealer installed blacked out OEM grilles. About $200 I recall. Looks great especially if you have black shadow line trim. Also you can replace the orange strip reflectors over the front tires with European original replacement clear/white reflectors. In got mine for less than $50 from ECS tuning and installed them in 10 minutes. Gets ugly orange off the car. These are two inexpensive changes that give the X6 a nice look.
I like the chrome/ platinum grill, so I'll keep that, but where did you get the reflectors and who installed? did you take them to a shop? I like that idea!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #34
macd1995
macd1995
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328 CI  [0.00]
2013 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
The kidney grilles are easy to replace. Less that 5 minutes DIY. I think you should be able to talk to your dealer about ordering it when building your own, but if they cannot help you at that time, you can order titanium grilles, gloss black grilles and or even have the grilles painted to match any color of your choice if you please. That is an easy fix. As for the chrome trim vs the shadow line trim, same rules apply. There are many ways to change these options out if your dealer is unable to pull those strings for you during the production of your X6.

Enjoy and stay safe on the roads!
Thanks. I will ask about the chrome trim, seems like the dealers can't do anything about having that installed on the 35, so I have shifted my search to the 50.... reluctantly...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #35
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Couple of things..
I went with the 19s mostly because I did not like the 20" wheels on the X6. My intent was to find a set of style 259s (the old 20") style and put those on. Alas, I ended up picking up a 2nd vehicle (car) because I missed the driving experience and now I'm not dropping a penny on the X6 (it is leased). So yes, keep your vert.

The 19s are fine in the winter. I did notice that they were not as good as the snow tires I had prior on my M5 (yes the car goes, just doesn't turn or stop quite as good). We only had two snows this year but I did fine.

The 20s however come with summer tires. YOU CAN NOT USE THESE IN THE WINTER. So if you go with the 20" rims, you MUST either swap the tires or find some 19" take offs (with TPMS sensors) and put snows on them. This of course is the best of both worlds with the added cost and hassle of a second set of wheels.

Last but not least - the leather dashboard is sweet. The regular one looks very plain and out of place in a $80K vehicle. Still, I could not justify the cost.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #36
macd1995
macd1995
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328 CI  [0.00]
2013 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Couple of things..
I went with the 19s mostly because I did not like the 20" wheels on the X6. My intent was to find a set of style 259s (the old 20") style and put those on. Alas, I ended up picking up a 2nd vehicle (car) because I missed the driving experience and now I'm not dropping a penny on the X6 (it is leased). So yes, keep your vert.

The 19s are fine in the winter. I did notice that they were not as good as the snow tires I had prior on my M5 (yes the car goes, just doesn't turn or stop quite as good). We only had two snows this year but I did fine.

The 20s however come with summer tires. YOU CAN NOT USE THESE IN THE WINTER. So if you go with the 20" rims, you MUST either swap the tires or find some 19" take offs (with TPMS sensors) and put snows on them. This of course is the best of both worlds with the added cost and hassle of a second set of wheels.

Last but not least - the leather dashboard is sweet. The regular one looks very plain and out of place in a $80K vehicle. Still, I could not justify the cost.
I did not even know that there is a 1M out. Missed that. I can't justify the cost on a leather dash either... also, I have never seen it live, so maybe I won't miss it. Per the "Buy/Lease thread here: http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...=671493&page=2

My final order was:
X6 5.0
Color combo still not clear-- leaning now to Midnight blue and Saddle
No Sports package so chrome trim all around (Windows & grills). 19 inch since it will snow in nYc. The one day it snowed last winter I drove the vert on summer tires @ 15 miles an hour.
Options:
Technology
Premium
LED
Cold Weather
3 rear seats
Running board
Soft Close
Premium Sound

$1,012 including taxes month for 10K miles a year.
Now to finalize the color. Dealership is attempting to get swatches for me. I really hope the blue matches the photo below. Anyone actually see it?
Doug - I saw no reason for the Space saver or the BMW Aps. I have an Android phone and an ipod. Thoughts?
Attached Images

Last edited by macd1995; 04-23-2012 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #37
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Doug - I saw no reason for the Space saver or the BMW Aps. I have an Android phone and an ipod. Thoughts?
I think the space saver spare is the best use of $150 money can buy. Let's say down the road you want to get rid of the runflats? You can. Let's say you are 100 miles from home and you bust a run-flat? You can go 50 on the runflat, put the spare on and get another 50. It is just one of those things that is very very nice to have (to be fair, I was stranded twice with my M5 - it didn't have runflats nor a spare, so I'm a bit cautious - of course I'm in the same DAMN position now with the 1M).

If you think you might EVER get an iPhone, then get the BMW apps. The integration is really nice (I use it for MOG as well as Pandora) and the actual BMW app has some cool things in it (like remote unlocking). Once of those things I would really hate to miss out on if down the road you switched phones. Plus who knows, maybe it will support Android someday?

Finally, regarding color...go with your gut.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #38
Love_My_X6
Private
Rep

Quote:
I did not even know that there is a 1M out. Missed that. I can't justify the cost on a leather dash either... also, I have never seen it live, so maybe I won't miss it. Per the "Buy/Lease thread here: http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...=671493&page=2

My final order was:
X6 5.0
Color combo still not clear-- leaning now to Midnight blue and Saddle
No Sports package so chrome trim all around (Windows & grills). 19 inch since it will snow in nYc. The one day it snowed last winter I drove the vert on summer tires @ 15 miles an hour.
Options:
Technology
Premium
LED
Cold Weather
3 rear seats
Running board
Soft Close
Premium Sound

$1,012 including taxes month for 10K miles a year.
Now to finalize the color. Dealership is attempting to get swatches for me. I really hope the blue matches the photo below. Anyone actually see it?
I can't wait to see an X6 in the Midnight Blue. I check everyday to see if someone has posted an image on the internet of an actual car in this color. I will post pictures of mine when it comes in.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #39
macd1995
macd1995
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328 CI  [0.00]
2013 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
I think the space saver spare is the best use of $150 money can buy. Let's say down the road you want to get rid of the runflats?
Cool - since my wife will be driving a lot, I will not substitute the Run flats.

Quote:

If you think you might EVER get an iPhone, then get the BMW apps. The integration is really nice (I use it for MOG as well as Pandora) and the actual BMW app has some cool things in it (like remote unlocking). Once of those things I would really hate to miss out on if down the road you switched phones. Plus who knows, maybe it will support Android someday?

Finally, regarding color...go with your gut.
Can you get the BMW Apps after the fact? I don't see myself getting an iphone in the near future. Lets just say my employer has a preference for Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_My_X6 View Post
I will post pictures of mine when it comes in.
I have to decide before you post pictures!

Last edited by macd1995; 04-24-2012 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #40
Kanuc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Please share your experience with the Pirelli Scorpions. I recently bought a set this past weekend, (couldn't pass up the deal) but i haven't had them mounted yet. Any feedback with experience(good or Bad) with these tires would be highly appreciated.
Samurai, my experience is with 19" Scorpions M+S. I had them for 2 winters, got them slightly used (75% tread at start) 'cause I bought a dealer manager's car.

First I had a lot of wear, esp on the front. I was repeatedly assured there was not an alignment problem, but I had it aligned anyways.

I also did not like the grip, plain and simple. A caveat: this is a really heavy pig of a vehicle, so I suppose I can't expect miracles. THAT said, I do prefer the Blizzak WM-25s that I put on this year somewhat to the Pirelli's. AND, I have traditionally driven much lighter vehicles in the past, with less "performance" oriented winter tires. I think that a performance winter tire is a bit of a compromise off the start - not as much of a compromise as an all-season but still a compromise.

I agree with your all-season comment and it is really location specific. I you live in Montreal or Toronto, I'd say winters are pretty much must haves. Out here in the west, where we get little precipitation, I'm not sure that 95% of the time I need anything other than all-seasons.

THAT said, all-seasons come in all sorts of flavours - some are more "summer" than winter, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #41
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuc View Post
Samurai, my experience is with 19" Scorpions M+S. I had them for 2 winters, got them slightly used (75% tread at start) 'cause I bought a dealer manager's car.

First I had a lot of wear, esp on the front. I was repeatedly assured there was not an alignment problem, but I had it aligned anyways.

I also did not like the grip, plain and simple. A caveat: this is a really heavy pig of a vehicle, so I suppose I can't expect miracles. THAT said, I do prefer the Blizzak WM-25s that I put on this year somewhat to the Pirelli's. AND, I have traditionally driven much lighter vehicles in the past, with less "performance" oriented winter tires. I think that a performance winter tire is a bit of a compromise off the start - not as much of a compromise as an all-season but still a compromise.

I agree with your all-season comment and it is really location specific. I you live in Montreal or Toronto, I'd say winters are pretty much must haves. Out here in the west, where we get little precipitation, I'm not sure that 95% of the time I need anything other than all-seasons.

THAT said, all-seasons come in all sorts of flavours - some are more "summer" than winter, IMO.
Thanks for the info. I agree with you on the all seasons. I usually go with those because of the wide variety of seasonal changes we experience here in the nort east. i just could pass up the deal on the Scorions, lol. I plan on having them mounted on thrusday so I guess I will see for my self.

As for my current set up... I was planning on selling the wheels I have on her now, but taking in your words and experience has me leaning towards keeping them as a winter set. Thanks again. You probably just saved me $$$ and headaches come Nov-Dec time frame.

Sorry to go off topic, OP.... BTW, you are gonna love the X6.
      04-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #42
Love_My_X6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Cool - since my wife will be driving, I will not substitute the Ruflats.

Can you get the BMW Apps after the fact? I don't see myself getting an iphone in the near future. Lets just say my employer has a preference for Android.

I have to decide before you post pictures!
You will probably have made up you mind by then anyway. My build is still awaiting a confirmed production date. It will be at least mid May before I see it. I think I will love the color. I feel like it will be darker and bluer in sun and bright light and more teal in low light and at night. I like the cool video on the bmw.com international site. http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...isualizer.html click on the lower right corner (at 'discover the difference' ) after the intro. Still wish I could see a picture of an actual car and not just the promotional stuff. Although I really dont want to see another one besides mine in that color in person for a while.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #43
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
But what about the All Weather 19" that come standard?
I moved back to New York last April and have driven my current car in SF for the majority of the time I have owed the car. I am from NY, and do know that it was 15 years since we had snow like we did in 2011.

Thanks for the help.
Dale
I think you should definitely be fine with the 19s. I didn;t like the look of the 19s so went with the 20s.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #44
macd1995
macd1995
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328 CI  [0.00]
2013 BMW X6  [0.00]
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_My_X6 View Post
I like the cool video on the bmw.com international site.
This is excellent. The color is darker than i expected, but still nice.

Once the CA submits the order, can we make any changes or is that it?

With ED, the order was placed, but it took a bit to get a Production number. I could change my order until the production number was established.

Anyone know?
Thanks,
Dale
Appreciate 0