XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
MaxRulz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman S

LED headlights auto on/off

I've noticed that my headlights are on almost all of the time. Even when it's bright outside at like 5pm and I'm wearing sunglasses.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is it normal?

I have LED headlights so maybe I just notice more because it's more visible, but on my old 335 I'm sure they weren't on anywhere near as often.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
snipez999
Private
Rep
Drives: X6M50d

Are you sure these aren't the Daytime Running Lights which can be set from within i-drive?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
MaxRulz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipez999
Are you sure these aren't the Daytime Running Lights which can be set from within i-drive?
Yeah it's the headlights or sure. Can see the reflection on the car in front when in traffic an also the little green light is on next to the light controls.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
x6Hawkeye
911 TTS Cab
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio

I've not had this issue - sounds silly, but are you sure the light dial is set to "A" for auto?

If so, could be a sensor issue (I believe this is in rearview mirror). Worth checking first to see if anything's covering it prior to taking in fit service.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 01:31 AM   #5
MaxRulz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x6Hawkeye
I've not had this issue - sounds silly, but are you sure the light dial is set to "A" for auto?

If so, could be a sensor issue (I believe this is in rearview mirror). Worth checking first to see if anything's covering it prior to taking in fit service.
Yep def on auto. Nothing covering the sensor, not even dirt.

I'm wondering if the LED headlights don't wait for it to be as dark?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 03:12 AM   #6
makdeniss
Lord Vader
Estonia
Rep
Drives: BMW 730Ld

Dude, summer is over and the lights will be on more often )) this is the time I usually forget about the AUTO mode and turn them to 0 during day and when it is getting darker I turn back on AUTO mode.
      09-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
sariggs1
Scott R.
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 xDrive 50I

Garage List
2012 X6 50I  [0.00]
2006 Volvo XC90 V8  [0.00]
2001 996 Turbo  [0.00]
My 2009 didn't do this but my 2012 does. Sometimes on early as 3pm on a sunny day. I thought maybe the area by the sensor was dirty but the car is clean...
Black Sapphire Metallic with Saddle Brown Nevada Leather, Comfort Access keyless entry, Running boards, Rear-View Camera, Dark Bamboo wood trim, HUD, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Rear Climate Package, Sport Package, Euro Black Kidney Grill, Euro Side Markers, Black Double Spoke 215 Wheels...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6

I am having the same problem. The headlight turns off only if it's a bright sunny day during summer.

Took it to the dealer and asked them to calibrate it. They said there is no way to do that.

I noticed that other X5 and X6 on the street also have the same problem.
So I ended up sucking it up and just switch the lights manually.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
MaxRulz
Private
United_States
Rep

Seems common then. Kinda weird! At least it not something like the wipers coming on when it isn't raining. I can live with my headlights on most of the time, and at least they look stinking good
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 03:35 AM   #10
makdeniss
Lord Vader
Estonia
Rep
Drives: BMW 730Ld

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxRulz View Post
Seems common then. Kinda weird! At least it not something like the wipers coming on when it isn't raining. I can live with my headlights on most of the time, and at least they look stinking good
Yep, it's a normal thing. Sometimes I don't understand how they calculate the amount of light required for the lights to come one. Sometimes when it is sunny- they are on, sometimes when it is cloudy - they are off. Beets me, but I see all other BMWs with the same stuff.
      09-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxRulz View Post
I've noticed that my headlights are on almost all of the time. Even when it's bright outside at like 5pm and I'm wearing sunglasses.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is it normal?

I have LED headlights so maybe I just notice more because it's more visible, but on my old 335 I'm sure they weren't on anywhere near as often.
One sugestion here......when you feel your headlights are ON, pull over and check if your rear stop lights are also ON, if they aren't it means you are OK in running daylights mode, if they are ON it means your main lights are really ON
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

I have the same problem, they turn on ridiculously early just as you said when its still bright out. I just switch it to 0 and turn it back on when I need to. Annoying but I deal with it. My Audi has a setting to have the headlights turn on late in the menus.. wish there was something like that
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
Phipsibear42
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Garage List
Same here... oh well lol Found one lil flaw with the Beast
      09-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #14
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by makdeniss View Post
Yep, it's a normal thing. Sometimes I don't understand how they calculate the amount of light required for the lights to come one. Sometimes when it is sunny- they are on, sometimes when it is cloudy - they are off. Beets me, but I see all other BMWs with the same stuff.
I don't understand why people are so quick to forgive BMW on this issue. I have a F10 and it has the same problem. It's at the dealer right now to fix it. They gave me an '12 X5 as a loaner and it too has the problem. I keep hearing people (not just on this thread but others too) say the auto headlights are too sensitive or weird. They're not, what they are is broken and they need to be fixed.

Sorry but I don't forgive BMW at all for this. Its not like this is a new thing. Cadillac had auto headlights in the 70's.

-Time
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFor View Post
I don't understand why people are so quick to forgive BMW on this issue. I have a F10 and it has the same problem. It's at the dealer right now to fix it. They gave me an '12 X5 as a loaner and it too has the problem. I keep hearing people (not just on this thread but others too) say the auto headlights are too sensitive or weird. They're not, what they are is broken and they need to be fixed.

Sorry but I don't forgive BMW at all for this. Its not like this is a new thing. Cadillac had auto headlights in the 70's.

-Time
Hey Time. I totally agree with you.
But I got turned down by the dealer so many times already, and every time they pulled something out of their ass to get away with the responsibility.

If your dealer manages to find a way to fix it, do you mind sharing the solution with us? (idea, document, etc)

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #16
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

there must be a way to set the sensitivity via coding
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #17
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerrantoss View Post
Hey Time. I totally agree with you.
But I got turned down by the dealer so many times already, and every time they pulled something out of their ass to get away with the responsibility.

If your dealer manages to find a way to fix it, do you mind sharing the solution with us? (idea, document, etc)

Many thanks!
Yeah I'll post whatever they come back with. I know they're doing some kind of software update because they asked to reset the car's computer today. The dealer is also fixing a fuel cap issue but I doubt that is requiring the computer update. To be honest I don't expect the dealer to be able to fix the headlight issue unless BMW has just recently offered a solution. From my research it sounds like its a design flaw with the sensor and its likely going to continue being an issue until enough of us complain for BMW to recall it. I'm hoping software can fix it. I don't yet know when I'll have my car back. In the mean time, the X5 35d isn't bad.

-Time
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #18
skim175
Private
Rep
Drives: X-drive

I have a same problem, too. I can only say for my routine commuting time around 9AM or 6PM. The part I don't understand is that it only happens on the highway when there is no shadows or anything and then when it is extremely sunny like no clouds at all. It has never happened when outside is slightly cloudy. I asked my service guy to check it out and they couldn't really find anything wrong. Also, since it is not like a light is on all the time and I couldn't really replicate this issue at the dealer, they did not do anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #19
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

On the E60 5-series the dealer could adjust this. I bet it is the same with the X5/X6. Ask your dealer to adjust.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #20
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
My 335i was a lot more sensitive than my M
Lights would come on well before sunset
X6's lights were off today at 8:15am with some good overcast
And they stay off almost by the sunset time
I wonder where the photosensor is located and why it's so different for everyone
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #21
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

I've had my lights come on during full sunlight, but it only appears to happen if the sun is relatively low on the horizon (early morning or late afternoon). I had pre-supposed that they are doing this on purpose as a visibility aid to other drivers if the sun is low and potentially behind you. My guess was also that the sensor was designed to look mostly upwards rather than out and around to accomplish this...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #22
skim175
Private
Rep
Drives: X-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
I've had my lights come on during full sunlight, but it only appears to happen if the sun is relatively low on the horizon (early morning or late afternoon). I had pre-supposed that they are doing this on purpose as a visibility aid to other drivers if the sun is low and potentially behind you. My guess was also that the sensor was designed to look mostly upwards rather than out and around to accomplish this...
This is what I noticed, too. It is not a sensitivity issue. It only happens during completely full sunlight in the morning (8-10AM) or later afternoon. It's funny that it does not come on when the weather is rather cloudy.
Appreciate 0