XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
zaha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

Thumbs down Mirror keeps changing position!

My left mirror on my X6M keeps changing its position automatically. The problem occurs randomly but it seems to happen most when I fold my mirrors.

It seems that only my left mirror gets adjusted to the right and upward which annoys the hell out of me because i must readjust it each time this happens. This seems to occur once every few days. Does anyone else have this problem? Perhaps I have a setting turned on that is causing this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

English mirror?

Ur car was perhaps originally destined for England, b/c the mirror would move on the driver's side (Port side in N.Am.) if u put the gear in Reverse !
Seriously now, I think u need to take it into service.
If u fold & unfold the mirrors about a dozen times, the circuitry would shut down the fold/unfold feature until u restart the car. I'm told, this is a safety built in after some earlier x5 mirrors kept folding & unfolding inexplicably until the circuit burned out. I discovered this safety shut off after playing w/ the mirrors a doz times b/c my passenger side folds faster then the driver side. I thought by running it a few times when the car was new, that would even out the speed. But it did not.

Last edited by archwerks; 03-31-2010 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
Ur car was perhaps originally destined for England, b/c the mirror would move on the driver's side if u put the gear in Reverse !
Seriously now, I think u need to take it into service.
If u fold & unfold the mirrors about a dozen times, the circuitry would shut down the fold/unfold feature until u restart the car. I'm told, this is a safety built in after some earlier x5 mirrors kept folding & unfolding inexplicably until the circuit burned out. I discovered this safety shut off after playing w/ the mirrors a doz times b/c my passenger side folds faster then the driver side. I thought by running it a few times when the car was new, that would even out the speed. But it did not.
I think on all x5 and x6 the passenger side mirror closes quicker than the driver side mirror, I think this is how they are supposed to work by design. I can't figure out why BMW wouldn't let both mirrors adjust down when backing up. I like the feature on my Infiniti M that adjusts the mirror down when backing up based on the location of the mirror switch - so if the switch is set to adjust the driver side mirror, it would adjust only the driver side mirror when I back up and so on. I think it's great. I can't understand why BMW thinks you always only need to lower the right side mirror when backing up. Anyway, not a huge deal, just thought I'd bring it up. Do you guys know if there is a way around this on X6?
Appreciate 0