XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
Georgepascal
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5d

what would happen if...

your travelling with 100km/h and you shift (by mistake) to N (nutral gear)? It happened to me yesterday... i pushed the gear lever when trying to reach the cigar lighter and realised that i was running with >100km/h with N-Gear!!! I managed to stop the car safely, select D and run off again... Anybody knows what would happen if i shifted back to D while driving???
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: X6 40d

i have done it before. nothing would happen. It would just continue driving in D.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald_adi View Post
i have done it before. nothing would happen. It would just continue driving in D.
+1 I put the car in neutral going downhill, my MPG goes up to 99.9 MPG.
      03-30-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
watoowatoo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 35i X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
+1 I put the car in neutral going downhill, my MPG goes up to 99.9 MPG.
Actually if you leave it in D it will consume 0 gas as long as you don't accelerate but in N to keep engine running it consumes gas. Next time try in D you may get 99.9999 MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgepascal View Post
your travelling with 100km/h and you shift (by mistake) to N (nutral gear)? It happened to me yesterday... i pushed the gear lever when trying to reach the cigar lighter and realised that i was running with >100km/h with N-Gear!!! I managed to stop the car safely, select D and run off again... Anybody knows what would happen if i shifted back to D while driving???
If people asked questions like you do maybe no one would have died because of Toyota braking problem. They could just put the car in N and stop the car! Basic driving knowledge!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by watoowatoo View Post
Actually if you leave it in D it will consume 0 gas as long as you don't accelerate but in N to keep engine running it consumes gas. Next time try in D you may get 99.9999 MPG

huh ?
so with car in drive it consumes no gas but in neutral it consumes gas ?

If people asked questions like you do maybe no one would have died because of Toyota braking problem. They could just put the car in N and stop the car! Basic driving knowledge!
Everyone keeps doing the "basic car 101 " routine, on the toyota hybrids it's all electronic. if the electronics fail you can't turn it off or put it in neutral, there are no physical links.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
x6xdrive50i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50I

I got a question, what if I put the hand brake on when at 100km/h?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by x6xdrive50i View Post
I got a question, what if I put the hand brake on when at 100km/h?
Brakes engage and try to slow you down.

I toyed with all variations of tranny and brakes after the Toyota fiasco.

If my accelerator gets stuck, you can bet a dollar to a donut my X6 is stopping safely.

Only piece missing is if you tap on the brake while pressing the gas, the power does not cut out. A simple software update would address that. Not sure why they would leave out something so simple. But the car does turn off/on, emerergncy brakes work, and shifting into neutral works as well when driving.
      03-30-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
watoowatoo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
Everyone keeps doing the "basic car 101 " routine, on the toyota hybrids it's all electronic. if the electronics fail you can't turn it off or put it in neutral, there are no physical links.
Most of these sad incidents happened bc of sticky gas pedal, not electronics failure. No one should be scared to shift to N like OP was.

Quote:
huh ?
so with car in drive it consumes no gas but in neutral it consumes gas ?
This is how I drive fast enough and at the same time conserve fuel when slowing down or going down hill. BMW engine uses ZERO fuel when you are going down hill in D and not accelerating. Mass energy of the car is enough to run the engine and the car. But in N engine is not engaged to wheels hence needs fuel to run. Just reset the fuel AVG and try it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 11:41 PM   #9
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by watoowatoo View Post
Most of these sad incidents happened bc of sticky gas pedal, not electronics failure. No one should be scared to shift to N like OP was.

This is how I drive fast enough and at the same time conserve fuel when slowing down or going down hill. BMW engine uses ZERO fuel when you are going down hill in D and not accelerating. Mass energy of the car is enough to run the engine and the car. But in N engine is not engaged to wheels hence needs fuel to run. Just reset the fuel AVG and try it.
So you put it in drive and turn off the engine ? or you're saying the engine is on but because the car is going downhill it doesn't consume fuel, anytime the engine is on it consumes fuel.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 12:35 AM   #10
watoowatoo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So you put it in drive and turn off the engine ? or you're saying the engine is on but because the car is going downhill it doesn't consume fuel, anytime the engine is on it consumes fuel.
Engine is definitely on and yes because the car is going downhill it doesn't consume fuel.
Same goes when you are braking. So when you are approaching a red light brake slowly to reduce speed and spend less time idling.
Let me know of your experience if you tired this. (By the way I think we have )
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 02:08 AM   #11
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Best way to Save Gas

Put tranny in P, leave ignition off & put car in garage!
It defeats the purpose of ownership if u have to resort to these silly techniques.
Try shutting the engine off at long traffic stoplites, like they do in europe.

Last edited by archwerks; 03-31-2010 at 02:14 AM..
Appreciate 0