XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
bmw_convert
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6

Braking issue & oil top up!

Hi again..Just wondering if my bad driving practices is at fault. I park at the office basement at a slight slope downwards. Ok..when the car was brand new, when at a stop and shifting from D to R downhill, the car would not move at all when depressing the brakes. But since about over month ago, there is now a slight jerk forward shifting from D to R while at a stop and when depressing the brakes. Brought the car to the dealership and went for a drive with the engineer. He adviced to step on the brakes then shift to P & then handbrakes..there...the car was at a standstill. Feeling embarassed drove back to office, parked as usual..followed the steps. Immediately after taking the keys out, it still jerks forward! Problem not solved..but is this acceptable?

I think it has got a bit worst as theres a slight ''boom'' when shifting from P to R while facing downhill.

Oh..the car has just done 4000 miles and already a warning light to top up oil @ 1 litre comes up everyday! Called the service & they mentioned that it was normal but my office mate had the minimum oil light after two years and probably more than 10k miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
x6xdrive50i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50I

4000km, lost a quarter of portion from min to max. Don't know when the warning light comes on though.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 03:51 AM   #3
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_convert View Post
Hi again..Just wondering if my bad driving practices is at fault. I park at the office basement at a slight slope downwards. Ok..when the car was brand new, when at a stop and shifting from D to R downhill, the car would not move at all when depressing the brakes. But since about over month ago, there is now a slight jerk forward shifting from D to R while at a stop and when depressing the brakes. Brought the car to the dealership and went for a drive with the engineer. He adviced to step on the brakes then shift to P & then handbrakes..there...the car was at a standstill. Feeling embarassed drove back to office, parked as usual..followed the steps. Immediately after taking the keys out, it still jerks forward! Problem not solved..but is this acceptable?

I think it has got a bit worst as theres a slight ''boom'' when shifting from P to R while facing downhill.

Oh..the car has just done 4000 miles and already a warning light to top up oil @ 1 litre comes up everyday! Called the service & they mentioned that it was normal but my office mate had the minimum oil light after two years and probably more than 10k miles.
I assume u switched off the engine by pressing the start /stop button without ur foot pressing on the service brake pedal, b4 taking the key out.
I would think that when u shut off the engine, the transmission would disengage from the engine, automatically be set to "P", mine does that, then u'd just engage the parking brake by lifting the electronic handbrake switch on the console. I don't think the car would move once u've engaged the parking brake, whether ur on a slope or not, as it should lock up the rear wheels.
Oil changes & consumption is strictly dependant on driving style, not mileage.
I'm sure if ur drive style is sporty / aggressive , oil change monitor would light up more frequently for top up & service intervals.
Appreciate 0