XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-22-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
likecarz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i xDrive Convertible

X6 Auto High Beams anyone?

Just took delivery of my X6 50i Black Sapphire nicely loaded... $84,325 MSRP...with auto high beam feature. I turn on the auto high beam feature by pushing the high beam lever forward...icon on dash lights up indicating auto high beam working. I notice the high beams come on automatically as I drive down the dimly lit road...then a car approaches...my high beams stay on....oncoming car gives me the high beams so that I know my high beams are blinding the oncoming car. The auto feature does NOT turn off the high beams when car approaches. ANyone else have this problem? I've cleaned th sensor behind the review mirrow (facing the windshield) but to no avail.

Anyone have this problem?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
GJM
Xdrive
Australia
Rep
Drives: X6 35d/X5 3d

In the idrive menu, go to vehicle functions & enable the auto high beam function. Should work.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
likecarz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Hi GJM. THanks for the response. I checked the idrive Lighting / Auto High Beam function and it is turned enabled. As I said above, the auto high beam feature seems to work on dark roads and around corners (the HB turn off and on automatically) but in traffic with cars approaching, the auto feature does NOT turn the high beams off...I have to intercede and turn them off manually to avoid blinding oncoming cars. For some reason, looks like my MB sensor is not recognizing oncoming lights in the auto mode. Seems to work fine on darker streets and around corners etc..the HB will come on and off automatically. I will have it checked at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by likecarz View Post
Hi GJM. THanks for the response. I checked the idrive Lighting / Auto High Beam function and it is turned enabled. As I said above, the auto high beam feature seems to work on dark roads and around corners (the HB turn off and on automatically) but in traffic with cars approaching, the auto feature does NOT turn the high beams off...I have to intercede and turn them off manually to avoid blinding oncoming cars. For some reason, looks like my MB sensor is not recognizing oncoming lights in the auto mode. Seems to work fine on darker streets and around corners etc..the HB will come on and off automatically. I will have it checked at the dealer.
For auto dimming mirrors, the sensor is located in front of the rear view mirror. Auto hi-beam headlights may use the same sensor.

At any rate I would find where the sensor is located (could be the same one) and determine if it needs to be cleaned or is blocked by something. This would cause the system to not turn off the hi beams when oncoming traffic is approaching.
      03-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
GJM
Xdrive
Australia
Rep
Drives: X6 35d/X5 3d

Hi likecarz,
I keep mine disabled as I find reflective road signs switch the lights off.
Can you adjust the sensitivity of the sensor ?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #6
likecarz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

There is no adjustment of the sensor behind the Mirror....still no luck getting the high beams to auto off with oncoming traffic. They work fine on dark roads ...auto on and off works fine...but when oncoming traffic is there...they stay ON...and I have to manally shut them off. Guess it's a trip to the dealer. Anyone else having this problem?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
likecarz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Turns out the NH State Inspection Sticker (applied by the BMW dealer) was smack dab in the middle of the sensor view....right in front of it. I removed the sticker...moved it to the right...cleared the sensor line of sight....mission accomplished!!!
Appreciate 0