XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
bleudyno
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Melbourne Red X6///M

Garage List
2010 X6M  [9.50]
2010 X6M  [0.00]
So what is the final verdict on lowering a X6 w/ Self leveling rear suspension?

I've searched all the posts regarding lowering and X6 but no one has really confirmed what to do about the rear self leveling suspension. Someone said that once the front is lowered, the rear with automatically lower itself to the front. Then again, I asked the shop that I'm going to take it to get lowered at and they said that the self leveling is only for leveling off the car when there are heavy loads in the back. So can anyone confirm if i will need to get my suspension re-programmed to lower a little to match the front? or if it will just lower itself?

X6///M Melbourne Red/Merino Black leather MODS: Matte black grill, Tinted head lights, Euro clear side reflectors w/ tint, Tinted white stip on tail lights, 22" Iforged Legacy Convave (Matte black center with Gloss black lip) RPI Race exhaust, Vorsteiner CF front lip, CF rear deck lid spoiler, CF rear diffuser, vented CF race hood, RPI intake scoops UPCOMING MODS: RPI software tune
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
bleudyno
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Melbourne Red X6///M

Garage List
2010 X6M  [9.50]
2010 X6M  [0.00]
Okay just got a call from my shop and he says that the H&R kit for the self levelling suspension comes with 2 springs for the front and a set of tensioning rods for the rear. He's going to order it for me and I guess we'll see how it goes.

X6///M Melbourne Red/Merino Black leather MODS: Matte black grill, Tinted head lights, Euro clear side reflectors w/ tint, Tinted white stip on tail lights, 22" Iforged Legacy Convave (Matte black center with Gloss black lip) RPI Race exhaust, Vorsteiner CF front lip, CF rear deck lid spoiler, CF rear diffuser, vented CF race hood, RPI intake scoops UPCOMING MODS: RPI software tune
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 01:23 AM   #3
audioquest
2nd to None!
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M8 GC, M5 30Jahre, X6 50i

Garage List
I am not sure about the X6M. According to my X6 50i, I purchase from Hartge 2 front spring and paid another $400 plus for the Rear reprogram and tensioning rods for the rear. In actual fact there is no reprogram or tensioning rods needed because as soon as they install the front spring put back the car to the ground, start the engine, the car lower by itself. But this experience is for my X6 50i only. I was in the work shop through out the install.

I question the installer about the reprogram of the rear and the rod he told me, which he had charge me for it. He cant explain it because he knows he is caught red handed by me. The car has self levering so nothing is needed. He try to charge me something that was not needed. I will not return to the shop again.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 03:52 AM   #4
charcoalwan
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F85

sorry to jack the post abit .. but audioquest my question for u is how good did it self leveled ? same height as the front ? and the gap in between the wheels ? same ?
13 RDX
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 06:42 AM   #5
audioquest
2nd to None!
Singapore
Rep

Garage List
When the engine start it automatically lower a little by little on the back to check if it is level with the front. You can see it pumping up and down. Every time it pump down it will stop for awhile, I believe the car is checking if it is level. In my case it took 4 lowering step to level with the front (lower by 30mm in the front). I am not sure if the gap is the same as the front. I did not check the height before the installation. Will check the gap.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 05:37 AM   #6
Rayvkt
Private
Laos
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X6 xdrive35i

Garage List
Where or how can I check to see if my X6 35i has the self levelling or not?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 01:36 AM   #7
flz9636
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioquest View Post
I am not sure about the X6M. According to my X6 50i, I purchase from Hartge 2 front spring and paid another $400 plus for the Rear reprogram and tensioning rods for the rear. In actual fact there is no reprogram or tensioning rods needed because as soon as they install the front spring put back the car to the ground, start the engine, the car lower by itself. But this experience is for my X6 50i only. I was in the work shop through out the install.

I question the installer about the reprogram of the rear and the rod he told me, which he had charge me for it. He cant explain it because he knows he is caught red handed by me. The car has self levering so nothing is needed. He try to charge me something that was not needed. I will not return to the shop again.
sorry, I have a question too. I'm planning to lower my car too but do i need to take it to a dealer or just any garage?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
sean_b
Serial car switcher
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
bump
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #9
audioquest
2nd to None!
Singapore
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flz9636 View Post
sorry, I have a question too. I'm planning to lower my car too but do i need to take it to a dealer or just any garage?
I believe you should take it to where you buy your lower spring. It is a pretty simple installation.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
wukur
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Hi all

Yesterday I bought H&R springs for my car which has self leveling rear suspension. Springs does not come with rear tensioners only two springs.
On side of the box is written the rear axle should be lowered by DIS at BMW service.

Today I was at the dealer and they told me that it is a work for half a day. They have to remove the dampers and some other things and an alighnment should be done after.

I have question to Mr Audioquest.

Do they really have to remove the dampers and other things? I am sure that I am the first ever person at my dealer to lower a car with aftermarket springs.

There will be before and after photos when it is done. Springs are 1.2 inch drop.(33mm)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #11
audioquest
2nd to None!
Singapore
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wukur View Post
Hi all

Yesterday I bought H&R springs for my car which has self leveling rear suspension. Springs does not come with rear tensioners only two springs.
On side of the box is written the rear axle should be lowered by DIS at BMW service.

Today I was at the dealer and they told me that it is a work for half a day. They have to remove the dampers and some other things and an alighnment should be done after.

I have question to Mr Audioquest.

Do they really have to remove the dampers and other things? I am sure that I am the first ever person at my dealer to lower a car with aftermarket springs.

There will be before and after photos when it is done. Springs are 1.2 inch drop.(33mm)
Yes they need to remove it. The Job Max 3 hours.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #12
wukur
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

So guys, I have changed the springs to H&R 1.2 inch drop. The car looks awesome now really cool. it is now one piece i mean the car and the wheels, not like i was hanging wheels.

The car did not self leveled itself, had to do it with DIS. There is strange thing that they did not know how many inches to drop though.

H&R springs made the car feel more sportier and more comfy. I dont know how is that possible, but I feel like this. Here in Tashkent we have really bad roads. Car actually is better in H&R springs than with stock.

I want to upload some pictures of it but I dont know how to do it. I will figure it out anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 03:04 AM   #13
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: X6 40d

Guys, the issue of Adaptive Drive vs Self leveling suspension (SLS) is not yet resolved:

1. If you have adaptive drive without SLS, does it mean you are loosing on some cornering ability? So when cornering, is it the SLS that is used to keep the car level? Or is the adaptive drive sifficient for this?

2. If you dont have SLS and only adaptive drive, do u have air suspension?

3. If you have SLS, can you manually adjust the height of the car using some level adjuster?

4. Is the SLS only at the back for the X6 or also in the front?????
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 06:58 AM   #14
Rayvkt
Private
Laos
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X6 xdrive35i

Garage List
I wonder if I can install H&R springs with self levelling kit to my X6 if it doesn't have self levelling suspension?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #15
CodyATX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvkt View Post
I wonder if I can install H&R springs with self levelling kit to my X6 if it doesn't have self levelling suspension?
Why? They make a kit for NON self leveling!
Appreciate 0