XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #1
Mnite_S63
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6, 2010 X5M

X5M Engine Malfuction Message Help

Traded my 4.8 to a X5M. Not even 24 hours and the dreaded Engine Malfunction message came up. Shut off and message went away.

No difference in driving when message went away. Plugged a scanner and no errors found. Thought I was good.

Started today (cold start) and same message came. Plugged my scanner and says cylinder 2 and 3 misfire. Took some photos and will drop it off dealer tomorrow.

Anyone had misfire errors on their X5M and could you share your results please.

Much appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
JeST
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M

How many miles? If you can, try and take a look at the service/warranty work thats been done on the car. If its never had the injectors replaced it sounds like thats going to be the likely culprit.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
HollywoodsX5M
Private
Rep
Drives: 10 X5M

Spark plugs

I replaced my spark plugs and did a sea foam cleaning and running like a champ, also check the vent hoses they get brittle from the heat in the engine after time.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 06:02 PM   #4
HollywoodsX5M
Private
Rep

Plugs and injectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcotangco
Traded my 4.8 to a X5M. Not even 24 hours and the dreaded Engine Malfunction message came up. Shut off and message went away.

No difference in driving when message went away. Plugged a scanner and no errors found. Thought I was good.

Started today (cold start) and same message came. Plugged my scanner and says cylinder 2 and 3 misfire. Took some photos and will drop it off dealer tomorrow.

Much appreciated.

Thanks
I replaced my spark plugs and did a sea foam cleaning and running like a champ, also check the vent hoses they get brittle from the heat in the engine after time.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 07:17 PM   #5
X5M_DA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Much appreciated.

Thanks
Many threads on bad fuel injectors .. If u have black tail pipes that is a common symptom
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 07:40 PM   #6
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M_DA View Post
Many threads on bad fuel injectors .. If u have black tail pipes that is a common symptom
But will a bad fuel injector throw a code?

I have spotty black tail pipes ever since the N63 CCP and the HPFP campaigns were performed (fuel injectors are index 11), but my dealer says that unless they find a CEL or code, the can't do anything ...

What argument do I use?
      07-12-2015, 09:25 PM   #7
HollywoodsX5M
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5
Quote:

I have spotty black tail pipes ever since the N63 CCP and the HPFP campaigns were performed (fuel injectors are index 11), but my dealer says that unless they find a CEL or code, the can't do anything ...

What argument do I use?
The injectors won't throw a code but the misfire from lack of fuel will.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 09:36 PM   #8
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M '18 XM’23 X5 50e 24

Remember this thread.....especially post 19
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1020640
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #9
PAX5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gan23 View Post
Remember this thread.....especially post 19
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1020640
Helpful ... Thank you.

However, black soot on exhaust tips appears to be the result of unburned fuel (black soot is "wet" and smells like fuel. Of course the "wetness" could also be the standard combustion water by-product ... mixed with ...?).

A. Is the injector misfire based on the theory that the injector injects fuel AFTER the TDC combustion cycle, and therefor ends up as raw fuel in the exhaust pipe, where it is partially vaporized because of the heat, and then shows up as black soot?

B. Or, could my lamda sensors be malfunctioning (they were replaced recently) and allowing unburned fuel to bypass the cat converter?
      07-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #10
X5M_DA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5
Quote:

What argument do I use?
Not sure about N63 as they had campaign for that ...give. Issues with S63 surprised BMW doesn't have one as well for X5M...black soot my understanding was caused by burnt fuel..ie leaky injectors ...when I had mine replaced at 70k miles my pipes are spot free up to 100k miles when I got rid of
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #11
hsc1102
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Question for the audience, if the misfire code only appears on 1 cylinder will they only replace the one injector or replace all the injectors?

I believe my car has the original injector parts and i know they have updated the part more recently.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #12
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
Helpful ... Thank you.

However, black soot on exhaust tips appears to be the result of unburned fuel (black soot is "wet" and smells like fuel. Of course the "wetness" could also be the standard combustion water by-product ... mixed with ...?).

A. Is the injector misfire based on the theory that the injector injects fuel AFTER the TDC combustion cycle, and therefor ends up as raw fuel in the exhaust pipe, where it is partially vaporized because of the heat, and then shows up as black soot?

B. Or, could my lamda sensors be malfunctioning (they were replaced recently) and allowing unburned fuel to bypass the cat converter?
My x5m just hit 53k and is running perfect(knock on wood) but to avoid future problems injector wise, I'm going to schedule the stealership to clean my injectors...I'm not sure if they have ever been replaced but I would rather pay for piece of mind rather thousands to replace them. BMW injectors are notorious for getting clogged due to our high engine temps
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 10:05 AM   #13
HollywoodsX5M
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsc1102
Question for the audience, if the misfire code only appears on 1 cylinder will they only replace the one injector or replace all the injectors?

I believe my car has the original injector parts and i know they have updated the part more recently.
Dealers often only replace what is wrong and not try and prevent future mishaps. Best way to know is call them up
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #14
X5M_DA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo
Quote:
Helpful ... Thank you.

My x5m just hit 53k and is running perfect(knock on wood) but to avoid future problems injector wise, I'm going to schedule the stealership to clean my injectors...I'm not sure if they have ever been replaced but I would rather pay for piece of mind rather thousands to replace them. BMW injectors are notorious for getting clogged due to our high engine temps
The cost for my injectors was ~8500 I complained and they covered under goodwill it is definitely not something cheap to do
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 03:03 PM   #15
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M '18 XM’23 X5 50e 24

Quote:
Helpful ... Thank you.

I cannot say but usually the injectors are the culprit. However, every X5M has a tendency to produce black sooth around the exhauts. Just compare the exterior ones versus interior ones on mine (stock and 38 000 km).

I don't often run on M settings as you can see...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #16
PAX5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo View Post
My 3x5m just hit 53k and is running perfect(knock on wood) but to avoid future problems injector wise, I'm going to schedule the stealership to clean my injectors...I'm not sure if they have ever been replaced but I would rather pay for piece of mind rather thousands to replace them. BMW injectors are notorious for getting clogged due to our high engine temps
I believe you'll be wasting your money ... these new generation injectors don't clog, the piezo electric element inside fails. Ask Bosch ... they make them.

BMW wouldn't be replacing these expensive injectors if all they had to do was run some cleaning chemical through them ...

You can just run a 20 oz can of Techron fuel additive if you feel the injectors and other parts need cleaning. A lot cheaper than having the dealer do it.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 05:03 AM   #17
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Quote:
I believe you'll be wasting your money ... these new generation injectors don't clog, the piezo electric element inside fails. Ask Bosch ... they make them.

BMW wouldn't be replacing these expensive injectors if all they had to do was run some cleaning chemical through them ...

You can just run a 20 oz can of Techron fuel additive if you feel the injectors and other parts need cleaning. A lot cheaper than having the dealer do it.
That's the last time i listen to my SA, he told me they would be good for up to an additional 50k if cleaned. Maybe i'll give that a try
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 08:26 AM   #18
Mnite_S63
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update - CE was on and off over the weekend. Yesterday cold start and CE light did not go away.

Car has 69K miles and only saw spark plugs done. Was told they do not know the root cause of the problem yesterday and they are still trying to troubleshoot.

In the meantime I get to whip around in a Sentra around town =/.

Sales guy at Tony C. @Circle BMW was great he is the one actually doing the follow up for me. My fear is if there is any injector issue what's stopping the others from failing after.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #19
hsc1102
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Just got a call back from my SA and they confirmed what I suspected. I need all injectors and spark plugs replaced. I guess I jinxed myself hoping that my X5M was not impacted by all the issues I've been reading about in this forum. DAMN!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 12:53 PM   #20
Mnite_S63
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

+1 Just got the call with the same findings. All injectors and spark plugs need replacement.

Question I have is will this be covered toward any limited warranty? I just literally owned it for less than 24 hours when it occurred. Got the worse luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 04:09 PM   #21
X5M_DA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
+1 Just got the call with the same findings. All injectors and spark plugs need replacement.

Question I have is will this be covered toward any limited warranty? I just literally owned it for less than 24 hours when it occurred. Got the worse luck.
What warranty and how many miles u have ?
Best is have your SA call BMW NA and have them cover under goodwill ..there are many cases of this failing and they should cover however they have to send email to them if u don't have warranty
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #22
Doc GTO
Wicked Fast +1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X5 50i MSport/02 M3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodsX5M View Post
The injectors won't throw a code but the misfire from lack of fuel will.
Or too much fuel.
Appreciate 0