XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
autoque
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0si

Exclamation A three year old on-going issue. Please help.

My vehicle is a '08 X5 3.0si with 13,000 miles.

I've got a warm start rough idle which lasts one to two minutes after the ignition. If I put the gear in D and brake only enough to slowly crawl forward(or back) when the engine is running rough, the power delivery feels erratic, as if the engine is pulsating or oscillating.
When the engine's cold (like in the morning) it starts and drives fine.

This started right after replacing the cylinder head under warranty for a tapping noise, a well known issue in the N52 engine. The dealer changed the spark plugs, coils, MAF, coolant temperature sensor and cleaned various parts, tuned up the timing of the valves, disassembled and reassembled, the symptom got a little better, but never disappeared. The diagnostic device tells nothing's wrong and no code is stored.

The dealer says they've never seen a similar case and pretty much given up.

Does anyone know what might be happening with the engine?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
jazzcat
Registered
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0si / '04 330xi

Same here...

I've experienced the same issue with my X5. After a couple of trips to the dealer, they haven't been able to replicate the problem. If you find out any more information, please update the thread. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
kuyabil
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 2007 X5

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Anybody else experiencing this problem, mine started acting up like this lately
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
Centrofly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5M

Guys I think alot of the rough idle and power issues are ethanol related and wreak havoc with the fuel pumps on bimmers.....I have seen this with my wife's mini cooper s. The key to smooth idle and power is to have the dealer reset the DME to default (basically reset the computer via the OBD 2 port, then i would recommend stabil to clean the fuel system and some injector cleaner following that in the next fill up. Also try to consistently use the same gas station if you have good results with that particular brand fuel. I use Chevron and the issues are gone in my wife's mini which the dealer could not find the issues .
Appreciate 0