XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

03-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
555MPWR
Rep
Drives: BMW E71 X6M

Adding BMW electric steering wheel to my X6M? Wheel was only designed for the 1 and 3

Tomorrow I drop off my X6M to the dealer ship to try to add BMWs really cool electronic wheel to my X6M.

Steering wheel is made for the 1 and 3 series cars. Never could understand why the wound make it as an option for the rest of us that don't drive 3 series's or 1?

Anyway, wish me luck because there is going to be a lot of splicing of wireds to try to make this work.
If it does work I believe I'll have the only X6M using this wheel.
I also believe I need to purchase a 3 series air bag to fit properly.

If you know of anyone that has tried this a successed please let me know who they are, so I can gain a few tips!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 555MPWR View Post
Tomorrow I drop off my X6M to the dealer ship to try to add BMWs really cool electronic wheel to my X6M.

Steering wheel is made for the 1 and 3 series cars. Never could understand why the wound make it as an option for the rest of us that don't drive 3 series's or 1?

Anyway, wish me luck because there is going to be a lot of splicing of wireds to try to make this work.
If it does work I believe I'll have the only X6M using this wheel.
I also believe I need to purchase a 3 series air bag to fit properly.

If you know of anyone that has tried this a successed please let me know who they are, so I can gain a few tips!

Thanks
keep us informed ! good luck !
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
555MPWR
Rep
Drives: BMW E71 X6M

Update on wheel

Well folks, it's a no go for the electronic steering wheel.
After 6 hours of trying to identify the correct wiring to cross reference the X6M and the M3 the dealer just said it was not going to work.
They could get it powered up and get the rev lights to work but no g-meter, oil temp etc.. Plus would need a 3 series airbag.
So for $1600 for the wheel + $800 for the airbag and $300+ for the labor I felt that it was 2 much to justify it fir a wheels with rev lights. The money could be used for better purposes.
At least my dealer was nice enough to not charge me for the labor today and return the wheel.
Maybe I'll do the M wheel but I don't know if I'm willing to give up my heated steering wheel?
Appreciate 0