XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
StayRight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 11 x5d

Anyone use the BMW paint protection film?

After my last 2 bimmers got blasted in the hood and bumper from commuting, I want to do the new x5 with paint protection film. I noticed on getbmwparts.com (tischer bmw) that they have BMW genuine film. Wondering if anyone has used it and is it made by 3m? If not where could I get a 3m kit just for x5? Was going to install myself. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
leebee
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35D,

I have the film on my vehicles. works amazingly well to keep the front end much cleaner than no protection. I had the dealer install this one. (I'm not sure if the dealer does it or subs it out) I have done them on other vehicles but have let the pros do the last couple of them. If you do them all day long they look much better than my home install anyway. I do a lot of my own mechanic work so I'm pretty good with my hands but these films just look better if you are doing them all day long. No idea if the BMW stuff is from 3M. The factory stuff seems to be good quality and their pattern fits perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
drtdvl
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan, X3 35i, Tacoma

I'm not aware of BMW branded film but we have always got the 3M film for the entire front of the vehicle (hood, bumper, mirrors). On our current X5, the dealer was able to do the entire hood right to the windshield.

Where we live, they don't use much salt only a lot of sand and small size gravel. The cars get sandblasted every winter, hence the reason I always buy the whole 3M film package.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
K.R.
loven life
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i, Ford F150

I've got the 3M film on the front end of my X5. It's a perfect protection. My brother has porsche 911 turbo he did the whole car bumper to bumper, he has no problems with the 3M brand.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
leetheway
Rep
Drives: x5

I was thinking about the the bmw film but decided to just look for an installer.
Hopefully will get it put on soon.
Appreciate 0