XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-03-2015, 08:15 AM   #1
Chewy5
Rep
Drives: E71

Question DIY help pls? - $750 for new car battery replacement

my dealer just quoted me $750 for replacing my current standard battery which is 6 years old now and can not hold charge well anymore.

i made it last longer by buying a trickle charger and charged it once a week or so. but now if i don't charge it daily, i will get the "high battery drain" warning when i start the car.

granted that the new battery they will give me is one of those newer AGM type batteries with a higher capacity (at least 90AH specification), they are still gouging me big time.

a new AGM battery costs $300 at the most and from googling it's really maybe around the $200-$250 range...

i'm willing to pay $50 for the reprogramming, but not $300+ for it.

does anyone know how to do the reprogramming part and what electronic device i need to buy to do the programming?

thanks in advance,
-c

Last edited by Chewy5; 03-03-2015 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 09:31 AM   #2
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Not a simple programming, my BavarianTechnic tools won't do it (it can only reset the batt replacement date not batt type). You may need to search around for INPA S/W if you want DIY or if there is any member who know how do it for you.

my suggestion is this, get the AGM based battery at battery+ store (which I did for my 535i since they know the exact fitment), install it yourself if you know how (just be careful with that pos cable don't yank it to rough). Then take it to indy who specializing BMW only shop, it should be about $100 to do:
1) reset the battery date
2) set the type to new AGM (the charging profile is different between AGM to ole flooded lead-acid batt).

if indy has to install the new batt for you, they may tack on extra 1/2 hour labor which is fine if I were you. Total cost should be around $300-$350 with new batt

GL
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep

One more thing, AGM batt is way to go.
It has very low self-discharge when idle compare to regular flooded lead-acid batt. so less likely problem with that comfort access draining batt thing
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
Chewy5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
One more thing, AGM batt is way to go.
It has very low self-discharge when idle compare to regular flooded lead-acid batt. so less likely problem with that comfort access draining batt thing
thanks a lot. yeah i was thinking about upgrading to an AGM type battery... although my current standard type battery served me well for 6 years. especially when i'm reading that a battery's lifespan is typically around 4 yrs.

in terms of the coding, i am hoping this website can help me: b m w c o d i n g . c o m

if not, i agree that finding a BMW indy to do the programming would be a good choice. it's not hard to find better options when a dealer rips you off the way mine does.

lots of things to watch out for in terms of car battery drainage... if you installed high power bright HID bulbs for example, a lot of these kits contain ballasts and even an extra cable to directly get more power from your positive terminal. this will definitely drain more power from your battery.

even things like iphone/ipod charging adapters that you plug into your cigarette lighter.. if you leave these things plugged in they will slowly drain your battery. it's best to unplug anything when you're not using them and not leave them plugged in all the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #5
Chewy5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
Not a simple programming, my BavarianTechnic tools won't do it (it can only reset the batt replacement date not batt type). You may need to search around for INPA S/W if you want DIY or if there is any member who know how do it for you.

my suggestion is this, get the AGM based battery at battery+ store (which I did for my 535i since they know the exact fitment), install it yourself if you know how (just be careful with that pos cable don't yank it to rough). Then take it to indy who specializing BMW only shop, it should be about $100 to do:
1) reset the battery date
2) set the type to new AGM (the charging profile is different between AGM to ole flooded lead-acid batt).

if indy has to install the new batt for you, they may tack on extra 1/2 hour labor which is fine if I were you. Total cost should be around $300-$350 with new batt

GL
another option i guess, is to get the exact same battery as i have currently (non AGM). then i won't need to set to a new battery type. just need to reset the battery date anew for a new battery.

i can then stretch this battery to another 6 years of life again with my $35 battery tender trickle charger!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 03:56 PM   #6
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Not sure how advanced the section is, but BMWhat just updated their app for battery registration and replacement. Maybe worth a look?
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #7
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy5 View Post
another option i guess, is to get the exact same battery as i have currently (non AGM). then i won't need to set to a new battery type. just need to reset the battery date anew for a new battery.

i can then stretch this battery to another 6 years of life again with my $35 battery tender trickle charger!
That's actually true, a couple of coworkers just replaced their BMW batts with similar batts and not even resetting the date, and it's OK. sealed-lead-acid batt is built like tank it can take a little overcharging with no problem.
Appreciate 0