XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
PeteMoss
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

First accident in 20 years with the 2011 E70.

Well, this morning sucked. Checked the mirrors, stepped out of the car and Wham!! Door jam. Just turned 19K miles too.

Everyone is okay but sad to say the W is not. Brought it to a high-end collision place. They apparently had a dozen bimmers, a Bentley in the shop and even an X5 like mine in the same color. From what I saw, the workmanship looked good.

Need to replace the door, fix front quarter panel and paint. Question is, how bad will this accident effect me when I trade it in 2016? Police and insurance was involved, so I suppose that means it will be on the carfax.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1fmdhmyrgv1qv4/IMG_5299.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7skgfvo7iva4aqr/IMG_5300.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5xfcrv58uvqtqis/IMG_5301.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ak32imx2sg7o9p/IMG_5304.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2knb6kcsn4dj4hl/IMG_5305.jpg

Last edited by PeteMoss; 08-06-2014 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: no pics
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

How did this happen? Another car drove into your door as you opened it?

Anyway, if insurance is involved, police report etc etc. yes it will show up on CarFax. So, document everything NOW, pictures BEFORE, DURING and AFTER the repair. That way you can show a prospective buyer in the future that it was a minor accident ...
      08-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
PeteMoss
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post

Anyway, if insurance is involved, police report etc etc. yes it will show up on CarFax. So, document everything NOW, pictures BEFORE, DURING and AFTER the repair. That way you can show a prospective buyer in the future that it was a minor accident ...
Yep. The other car did exactly that. Not sure I can get pics during the repair as I'll be away for the week but I did capture recent pics before the accident and after the accident.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Whoa. Sorry to hear about that.

As PAX said it will (unfortunately) appear as an accident on carfax. No way to avoid that at this point.

I don't think going our of your way to take more pics is really worth it. If you trade it in the dealer won't care what type of accident it was, and based on what I see it seems like a moderately extensive repair so I doubt before pics would be all that comforting to a private buyer.

Good luck with the repair!
      08-11-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
Abozeyad
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8I

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post

I agree
this is sucks though and as a New Yorker i gotta tell ya there are lots of crazy drivers in NYC than anywhere else in the world. they don't care.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
PeteMoss
Enlisted Member
Rep

Looks like they are replacing the door shell, door hinges, fender, moldings, hardware and paint (all OEM) and 10 days of labor. $4300 before tax. Not as bad as I thought. Seems to be a mild repair and no loss of integrity to the car. OEM parts, can't complain.

Have pictures before, after accident. I asked for the shop to provide pics during the process. That's all I can do from here.

I trust these guys, so I'm sure it will look great. Time will tell...

Thanks for the wishes.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
overheadvalve
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335I Coupe/2017 Macan

As stated above it will show up on carfax and it WILL hurt your resale value or trade-in value. You need to go to war with the offending drivers insurance company (assuming they had it!) too cough up the difference in depreciated resale value you now have because of their clients negligence. It can be done. You may not get the full difference but you should get a good chunk of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
PeteMoss
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by overheadvalve View Post
As stated above it will show up on carfax and it WILL hurt your resale value or trade-in value. You need to go to war with the offending drivers insurance company (assuming they had it!) too cough up the difference in depreciated resale value you now have because of their clients negligence. It can be done. You may not get the full difference but you should get a good chunk of it.
The cop told me at the accident I was at fault, regardless if I was already one step out the door. According to NYS VTL, the driver is supposed to exit from the passenger side. I know it's BS but that's how it will appear.

How does one calculate the depreciation value?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #9
overheadvalve
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
The cop told me at the accident I was at fault, regardless if I was already one step out the door. According to NYS VTL, the driver is supposed to exit from the passenger side. I know it's BS but that's how it will appear.

How does one calculate the depreciation value?
Exit from the passenger side! Ha! Iowa has some old crazy laws too. There's suppose to be a spittoon in all public places. It's called diminished value claim. You cant make one against your own insurance company if your at fault. Value can be determined several ways, even companies that will do this for you for a fee. Private party KBB or Edmunds vs. dealer appraisal after accident would be a method you can do on your own. Don,t expect much help from the other insurance company and you may have to ask more than one time. Google the subject, there is ton's of info on it. Good luck and sorry to hear about the accident.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #10
PeteMoss
Enlisted Member
Rep

Great news. My insurance company said I will be getting a diminished value return after the car is ready. They do that for newer cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #11
overheadvalve
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Great news. My insurance company said I will be getting a diminished value return after the car is ready. They do that for newer cars.

Great news after a bad day!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #12
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Ugh. Just be happy you didn't get hit.
Appreciate 0