XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
chrisnyc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 50i

New tpms'

Huh,
I have tried to search for the easy fix but could not find the thread so i got myself a new set of tires and wheels; i thought that once the tpmses are initialized/ reset they should be recognized automatically, but i keep on getting tpms error..
      03-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

What year is the TPMS and what your is your car? Older TPMS doesnt work on the newer models, My TPMS from my 09 x5 throws the TPMS malfunction when I use them for my winter setup. If thats not the case then I'm not sure what the cause is

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
retusn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Had the same problem when I bought my winter 299M set up. If I remember right sensors before September 2011 won't work with the newer vehicles. I bought a set of sensors from Tire Rack and had them installed at a local tire shop.
Not a problem since.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
chrisnyc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomo313
What year is the TPMS and what your is your car? Older TPMS doesnt work on the newer models, My TPMS from my 09 x5 throws the TPMS malfunction when I use them for my winter setup. If thats not the case then I'm not sure what the cause is
Thats my thinking
Wheels came of 2013 bmw x5; i drive 2011 x5 (produced in early 2010)
The message says" tpms malfunction "after reset
      03-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
chrisnyc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by retusn View Post
Had the same problem when I bought my winter 299M set up. If I remember right sensors before September 2011 won't work with the newer vehicles. I bought a set of sensors from Tire Rack and had them installed at a local tire shop.
Not a problem since.
and what if there is another way around? newer wheels than a car ?
did the tpms frequency change ?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
retusn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yes the Sensors changed the way they transmit and receive. They are not backwards compatible.

Looking through the web when I was trying to figure out why the sensors did not work I found BMW changed the sensors in 9/2010. Looking at a few of the part numbers it seemed until 10/2011 one part number worked and then the part changed again. I am not sure exactly which date is the cutoff.

When i put my winter tires on the sensors would never connect and communicate with the vehicle. As soon as I put the new sensors in and programmed it the light went out and haven't had a problem since. I think I spent 200 on the sensors and 60 on the install at Pep Boys.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
chrisnyc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes the Sensors changed the way they transmit and receive. They are not backwards compatible.

Looking through the web when I was trying to figure out why the sensors did not work I found BMW changed the sensors in 9/2010. Looking at a few of the part numbers it seemed until 10/2011 one part number worked and then the part changed again. I am not sure exactly which date is the cutoff.

When i put my winter tires on the sensors would never connect and communicate with the vehicle. As soon as I put the new sensors in and programmed it the light went out and haven't had a problem since. I think I spent 200 on the sensors and 60 on the install at Pep Boys.
lol that is some quality investigation ;D
why would they do that ?:P

retusn,

where did you get your tpmses from? i want to make sure that i dont purchase the incorrect ones [again
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
retusn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I purchased mine from Tire Rack. I believe they were $200 delivered. I almost had Discount Tire order the sensors and put them in. They wanted $400 for the sensors and $20 a wheel to put them in.

When I called Tire Rack and ordered the sensors it took two days to arrive. Great service as usual from Tire Rack.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
chrisnyc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I purchased mine from Tire Rack. I believe they were $200 delivered. I almost had Discount Tire order the sensors and put them in. They wanted $400 for the sensors and $20 a wheel to put them in.

When I called Tire Rack and ordered the sensors it took two days to arrive. Great service as usual from Tire Rack.
thanks,

FYI, for anyone with this issue; the part number has changed on 10/10
there is no backward compatibility..
tire rack is the way to go
Appreciate 0