XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #1
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Warranty question for X5M

Hey Guys, im contemplating doing my own work on my x5m. Mainly oil changes and motor/transmission work.

Has anyone had issues with warranty companies not covering repairs due to you doing the work yourself and not taking it to a dealership for oil changes and what not?

My main coverage for warranty is motor and transmission repairs nothing else. Since my warranty is up to 97k miles and im at 78k miles im wondering if this is even a risk to do. One thing i would like to do is have records for when i sell the car in the future but alot of this stuff is DIY friendly and can save you from the stealerships price and i like working on my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Not at all. Warranty companies typically don’t cover routine maintenance/wear items anyway, and certainly don’t dictate that you only use a stealership-only that you get covered claims approved in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
bandwagn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
2010 X6M  [0.00]
2006 330Cic  [0.00]
I think the question is not whether the warranty company will cover the maintenance, but rather would the warranty company deny repair coverage if you don?t have proof that the routine maintenance was performed.

You might have to read the fine print of the contract - if you?re planning on maintaining records anyway, then you should be ok.

Not sure if any company has denied a claim due to lack of maintenance - the maintenance schedule is pretty minimal as it is. They are, however, picky about what they cover - I had to replace a Vanos solenoid and my warranty balked about paying for some of the ancillary parts that the dealer wanted to replace as part of accessing the solenoid (charge air pipes, oil change).

Overall, still ahead of the game since the warranty covered at least part of the repair - and I primarily got it for piece of mind once the turbos need to be replaced (no special routine maintenance there - other than regular fluid changes)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyL3nTFoRcE View Post
Hey Guys, im contemplating doing my own work on my x5m. Mainly oil changes and motor/transmission work.

Has anyone had issues with warranty companies not covering repairs due to you doing the work yourself and not taking it to a dealership for oil changes and what not?

My main coverage for warranty is motor and transmission repairs nothing else. Since my warranty is up to 97k miles and im at 78k miles im wondering if this is even a risk to do. One thing i would like to do is have records for when i sell the car in the future but alot of this stuff is DIY friendly and can save you from the stealerships price and i like working on my car.

The question about "Will doing DIY give the chance to deny the claim to the warranty company". Yes, if they are seeking the opportunity

In my case that didn't happen and the warranty company hasn't even asked for the records, but they might ask if the repair cost is astonishing and they doubt that the failure is due to not performing the maintenance.

I don’t endorse any companies , however my experience with this company ( Autopom) is simply awesome .

They paid 3500$ repair bill ( PCV hoses , turbocharger coolant pulp )for the items that was at the edge of coverage. I picked up my car from the dealership after paying my deductible of 200$

The name of the company is AUTOPOM and in my case the CEO Mike stepped up himself to work with the insurance administrator. They are A+ rated by BBB.

I would suggest opting for the exclusionary coverage that covers everything except maintenance items .

Inquire about the reviews of your warranty company, you can always make difference between a fake review and a real review.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #5
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys for the info

Reason i ask something like this is because i was going to do an oil change for my car and I was wondering since i wont have a record of a shop doing stuff from here on out if i DIY, if people had bad cases were because you DIY'ed most of the maintance stuff if warranty companies would say since you dont have a record of oil changes or fluid changes done by a reputable shop they cover due to neglecting maintenance on the car

I hope I'm explaining this right, work has my mind going in different places right now

When i get home im going to read the whole contract again and see if there is anything about that
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 01:15 PM   #6
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys for the info

Reason i ask something like this is because i was going to do an oil change for my car and I was wondering since i wont have a record of a shop doing stuff from here on out if i DIY, if people had bad cases were because you DIY'ed most of the maintance stuff if warranty companies would say since you dont have a record of oil changes or fluid changes done by a reputable shop they cover due to neglecting maintenance on the car

I hope I'm explaining this right, work has my mind going in different places right now

When i get home im going to read the whole contract again and see if there is anything about that
As i said before, if they need a reason they will find a reason. They expect you to do the maintenance by a ASE certified mechanic, which I am afraid you are not. If I was you, I will not take a chance by doing DIY, atleast keep the oil change receipts from ASE
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 02:05 PM   #7
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmayank View Post
As i said before, if they need a reason they will find a reason. They expect you to do the maintenance by a ASE certified mechanic, which I am afraid you are not. If I was you, I will not take a chance by doing DIY, atleast keep the oil change receipts from ASE
yea i just saw your reply after i posted mine. Im going to do maintanance at either the stealership or reputable shops just in case. Sucks because i have a ton of 10w60 oil for my car and i get really good prices on oem parts because of my cousin but i know most shops especially bmw doesnt let you buy your own parts and then have them install it.

Looks like an appointment for the stealer it is for now.

Thank You
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 02:27 PM   #8
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
yea i just saw your reply after i posted mine. Im going to do maintanance at either the stealership or reputable shops just in case. Sucks because i have a ton of 10w60 oil for my car and i get really good prices on oem parts because of my cousin but i know most shops especially bmw doesnt let you buy your own parts and then have them install it.

Looks like an appointment for the stealer it is for now.

Thank You
Why not buy a warranty from a honest company who are liberal and willing to process the claims without hassle. I already gave reference of one company with whom I dealt in the past and my experience was good
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #9
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmayank View Post
Why not buy a warranty from a honest company who are liberal and willing to process the claims without hassle. I already gave reference of one company with whom I dealt in the past and my experience was good
the warranty was bought already when i purchased the car in June, I read through the contract but it didn't say anything about doing your own maintenance so i was wondering if other people with warranty have these types of issues. I bought it on the spot since I didn't want to search others at the time and i saw some good reviews on the company they were offering me the warranty from.

sorry forgot to mention that
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 04:40 PM   #10
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
the warranty was bought already when i purchased the car in June, I read through the contract but it didn't say anything about doing your own maintenance so i was wondering if other people with warranty have these types of issues. I bought it on the spot since I didn't want to search others at the time and i saw some good reviews on the company they were offering me the warranty from.

sorry forgot to mention that
TO be safer side if I was you, I will at least keep the oil change receipts. You can get coupons/promotions. I got my X5m oil changed at a delaership for 120$ Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss more about the maintenance quirk on the X5M as I have done some research.
Appreciate 0