XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-08-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Driveshaft woes (Pics)

First post here folks - Learning alot about my new platform, so thank you all for your years of info already collected to feed from.

I bought the e70 a week ago today. I drove home from Dallas with no issues and actually had a stellar drive. Really love the whole "100mph feels like 60mph" thing.

I ran some seafoam through the motor on Tuesday night and went out for some spirited driving to knock the carbon deposits out. I'd made several WOT pulls and blown out a majority of the magic carbon smoke. Went to make my turn for home and left hard from a stop sign. 1st gear to 2nd gear shift and then the noises hit that made me think I certainly shelled the bottom end of the motor.

I pulled over and found the below scenario...

Next up I got it towed home, because it didn't dawn on me that I could yank the rear portion of the shaft out by hand (hold the euphemisms and applause for later.) I backed the M in, and went on a forum hunt for how to swap the shaft myself. I found the recall info that doesn't apply to 2010 (WTF is that about?) and a few more posts, but nothing substantive to help.

I then order a replacement shaft off of eBay that looks like a WWII surplus shaft, but appears to be the same overall length. That should have gotten me going, but the shaft coming out as three pieces was the easy part.

I simply cannot figure out how to get enough clearance to get the new shaft in place. The front subframe bulk prevents me from maneuvering the 4 bolt side of the shaft into place while the thread side is inserted and vice versa.

Have any of you on the M front done this job to be able to describe for me what I have to do to get my shaft inserted. (Door open for euphemisms purposely here.) Thanks all and look forward to seeing fellow M rollers on the streets.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 11:20 AM   #2
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

I have done this on my 3.0si as a byproduct of dropping the oilpan/front diff. The drive shaft came out when I dropped everything and I didn't put it back in when lifting everything back up. After a few hours of trying I ended up having to drop the whole front assembly again to get the shaft in. I was more comfortable doing that than trying to pull the transfer case out. The 3.0si shaft is a different design though as both ends have a protruding portion. I couldn't get the front part back in because the protruding portion would hit the bottom of the differential and not slide up enough for the bolts to align.

The X5M looks to have a flush side though where the front diff bolts up so that may not be your issue? Are your clearance issues just related to the shield, exhaust pipes, and subframe? That silver shield comes off easily. If you drop the exhaust then you may be able to put the front end of the shaft in angled toward the motor mount then lift and stick the rear end splines in before finally lining up the front with the differential. Hope that makes sense.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 05:59 PM   #3
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

Have you tried to call BMW na. It's known on these cars for the shafts to fail, even tho u r not part of the recall, they may help u
Appreciate 0