XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
tgb1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 M4 (DCT)

35i vs 35d?

This past weekend, I test drove a 35i and a 35d (both 2012 models). The 35d's torque was fun, as I expected, but I was surprised by the 35i, my impression of which is that it struggled to accelerate off the line. From a dead stop, I half-gunned it, the engine roared but, to my dismay, the 35i did not throw me back in my seat and take off. I did not perceive this as a turbo lag; I guess it kind of felt underpowered. In fact, my 2010 328xi seems quicker off the line than the 35i.

Does anyone else have this perception about the 35i? Is there a break-in period or something? We are definitely trading up to an X5 later this year and will need to choose between the 35i and the 35d (the 50i is really not an attractive option from a fuel-economy perspective, as 90% of our driving is in the city), any I would appreciate any thoughts you have. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
jacb1301
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d AW-Tobacco

Go Diesel or Go Home

The torque, mileage and longevity of the diesel engine was the deal breaker for us. How long do you plan on keeping the vehicle? If it's for five years or more go with the diesel. If it's less go with the 35i. But if you want to be able to appropriately hand a 5K lbs vehicle, go with the power of the diesel engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgb1974 View Post
This past weekend, I test drove a 35i and a 35d (both 2012 models). The 35d's torque was fun, as I expected, but I was surprised by the 35i, my impression of which is that it struggled to accelerate off the line. From a dead stop, I half-gunned it, the engine roared but, to my dismay, the 35i did not throw me back in my seat and take off. I did not perceive this as a turbo lag; I guess it kind of felt underpowered. In fact, my 2010 328xi seems quicker off the line than the 35i.

Does anyone else have this perception about the 35i? Is there a break-in period or something? We are definitely trading up to an X5 later this year and will need to choose between the 35i and the 35d (the 50i is really not an attractive option from a fuel-economy perspective, as 90% of our driving is in the city), any I would appreciate any thoughts you have. Thanks in advance!
      02-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

This is the 2nd 35i I've had in the past 6 months. Initially yes there's a break in period after a couple thousand miles, MPG jumped up and it has a whole lot more pep. I opted for the 35i because I wanted the M sport package. I think either choice is good.
      02-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

I went from a 35d to a 35i. At first, I was concerned the 35i was going to be too anemic. It's definitely not and in the end is even a bit faster than the 35d. Starting in 2nd, as it does in D mode, can make the car feel like its hesitating. It takes a good bit of time to get used to how to touch the gas to get the off the line smooth. Until you do, it will actually either feel like it's hesitating or jumping (and it will definitely put you back into the seat). Once you get the touch right, though, it's as smooth as butter, especially, as skalberti said, after the break in period, when it really smooths out and the power seems effortless. In the end, I definitely prefer the 35i over the diesel, but lots of folks love the diesel and wouldn't trade it for the world.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
14bmws
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

That hesitation was driving me crazy. I decided to try driving around in sport mode for a week and I am much happier with the way the car moves from a stop. Further, coming out of a corner if feels much smoother getting back onto the gas.

Im also finding the vehicle tracks better on the highway if I take the adaptive drive OUT of sport mode. Also, Im done granny footing it trying to get decent gas milage. If its going to be abysmal, I might as well drive the thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 3.5 Premium

Garage List
I've been very impressed with the performance of my 3.5. I upgraded from a 2008 X3 and I'm actually getting better gas mileage and whenever I need to nail it I get the response I was hoping for. I definitely don't feel that it is underpowered. I test drove the V8 and it felt like a rocket -- and since I already have a rocket and the X5 is my daily I've been quite satisfied for the last 16000 miles.
Appreciate 0