XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-22-2018, 07:26 PM   #23
135iTime
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i, '12 X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackX5 View Post
here is a 2016 X5 with 20" wheels and 16k miles for only $25k
but it has mixed reviews that do not sound optimal. but not horrible either .
https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/45444489

the ad says 35i but the door says 40e
Yeah that's a scam. The dealer's inventory listings have clearly been hacked.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 12:50 AM   #24
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
here is a 2016 X5 with 20" wheels and 16k miles for only $25k
but it has mixed reviews that do not sound optimal. but not horrible either .
https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/45444489

the ad says 35i but the door says 40e
You keep linking us to 'For Sale' ads on this trashy 'carsforsale' website. Have you tried Auto Trader or BMWUSA.com/CPO page?

This website you're shopping on doesn't list VINs, which are the single most important figure required when buying a used car. You can't run a Carfax w/o a VIN. And you need the VIN to run through the decoder to know how the vehicle is optioned.

It seems like you only care about 20 inch wheels and not much else?
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #25
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Ditto jiggz...try expanding your search using some other websites that at least reveal the VIN...that way you can use one of the VIN decoder sites to see exactly how the vehicle is optioned:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #26
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The 2016 listed above is showing as sold - did you buy it BlackX5?

Either way, if you want to decode a VIN I use www.bmwvin.com - easy, and free!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #27
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Either way, if you want to decode a VIN I use www.bmwvin.com - easy, and free!
And here's a few more (free) VIN decoding sites below. I have all of the ones below plus the one above bookmarked/saved to favs in case a site is down for maintenance etc...cause it always happens just when you need it most.

Lately, my favorite go-to VIN decode site is the first one below...I like the layout and you don't have to answer a puzzle or CAPTCHA question to get the decoded information...just the last 7 digits of the VIN and VOILA! And it also does better in translating some of the options from German to English
  1. https://www.mdecoder.com/
  2. https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/vin/decoder/online
  3. http://bimmer.work/

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 09:58 AM   #28
BlackX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TL TypeS

Actually I don't know the differences in features unless it is visible, like bigger wheels and a wider navigation screen, and headliner color, and chrome trine and wheel style. I know I don't want the X5M but m-sport seems good although I don't know it includes besides the M on the door sill and at the bottom of the steering wheel. I don't need paddle shifters. Especially with all those gears.
Thanks for the vin decoders.. I will check them out this evening.

Quote:
You keep linking us to 'For Sale' ads on this trashy 'carsforsale'
website. Have you tried Auto Trader or BMWUSA.com/CPO page?

This website you're shopping on doesn't list VINs, which are the single most important figure required when buying a used car. You can't run a Carfax w/o a VIN. And you need the VIN to run through the decoder to know how the vehicle is optioned.

It seems like you only care about 20 inch wheels and not much else?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #29
BlackX5
Private First Class
Rep

BMWUSA.com/CPO

No such webpage
Just a bunch of oversized pictures trying to wow me.
No search
I even searched for CPO.... and error

Last edited by BlackX5; 07-24-2018 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 11:46 AM   #30
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
BMWUSA.com/CPO

No such webpage
No search

cpo.bmwusa.com
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #31
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually I don't know the differences in features unless it is visible, like bigger wheels and a wider navigation screen, and headliner color, and chrome trine and wheel style. I know I don't want the X5M but m-sport seems good although I don't know it includes besides the M on the door sill and at the bottom of the steering wheel. I don't need paddle shifters. Especially with all those gears.
Thanks for the vin decoders.. I will check them out this evening.
I like the bigger wheels too. 18's and even 19's are too small, IMO.

The M Sport package has a different body kit altogether from the non M Sports - different style wheels, different steering wheel, and yes the ///M door sills and ///M dead pedal. Also all body parts such as the wheel arches and bumpers, are painted body colored vs. black (see pic below).

There were 4 trims for the 35i - Base, Premium, Sport, and M Sport. Sport and M Sport will have black window trim and 19's standard with many having the optional 20" wheels. The base and premium will have the chrome window trim and smaller wheels. The base has 18's, premium has 19's.

The 50i has 3 trims - Base, Sport, and M Sport, with the above info applying here as well.

M Sport package (shameless plug...this is mine )

50i Sport package (notice different bumpers, wheels arches & door trim are black, different style wheels. 35i Sport Package will look the same, just different style 19 & 20" wheels )

Base/premium (no wheels arches, 19" wheels, chrome window trim

This site below will let you build an E70 X5 just as BMW's site would allow back in the day when E70s were in production. You can see all the different packages and options, so you know whats available...if you're interested. Lots of cool features, you might find something you definitely want (like comfort seats, most agree they are a must-have), and then the decoder will tell you if a particular X5 has them if you aren't sure in pics. Link below defaulted to a 2012.

https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2012-BMW-X5/specs/

Quote:
BMWUSA.com/CPO

No such webpage
No search
If you go here - https://www.bmwusa.com/ - you'll see a 'Certified Pre-Owned' link at the top (http://cpo.bmwusa.com/). It's worth a try, but not many E70s on this site anymore.

How about this one below in Houston? Not heavily optioned but has the Sport Package w/ 20's & Active Ventilated Seat Packages (which includes the must-have comfort seats). Also has the Premium Sound Package and Active Cruise Control.

http://cpo.bmwusa.com/used/2012-BMW-...528?zip=75112#
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #32
BlackX5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

That's not too bad being certified... But I'm not too excited about white..
I am familiar with the chrome trim being associated with he non~sport package and usually smaller wheels..
But I just found out something.. the 2014+ 35i is roughly the same through the 1/4 mile than the 2007-2009 4.8i.. or slightly quicker depending on the sources you compare. Either way, temperature can cause a small variation. But I bet the 2014 + 35i gets much better gas mileage. It's 500 pounds lighter. The torque is less though on that 6 cylinder 35i but that turbo helps it to rap through the 1/4 mile. Such a tough decision. But it makes me think more about the newer 35i rather than he older non-turbos even though I don't like turbo that much.. I like instant torque.. But I don't want to argue about turbo lag. The main thing is how quick it is through the quarter. The 35i is very comparable to the 4.8i on paper.
But I know the newer ones have better features..and smell better.. haha

Last edited by BlackX5; 07-27-2018 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 09:22 AM   #33
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
FWIW, before my brother traded his ‘13 35i for an ‘18 35i, he had constant problems, but I attribute that to his wife’s lunatic Chicago driving, which resulted in a hard 78k miles at trade time. In contrast, my ‘11 35i is at 57k miles with no problems whatsoever, admittedly with much easier miles and fastidious, preemptive maintenance. BTW, CPO is a total ripoff, and warranty coverage is much less than the original factory warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 11:24 PM   #34
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyboy View Post
FWIW, before my brother traded his ‘13 35i for an ‘18 35i, he had constant problems, but I attribute that to his wife’s lunatic Chicago driving, which resulted in a hard 78k miles at trade time. In contrast, my ‘11 35i is at 57k miles with no problems whatsoever, admittedly with much easier miles and fastidious, preemptive maintenance. BTW, CPO is a total ripoff, and warranty coverage is much less than the original factory warranty.
I only posted the BMW CPO page for OP as the site still lists a few E70's, even though non of them are CPO'd at this point.

At least our E70's came w/ the 2 year CPO warranty, unlike today where it just adds 1 year, which yes is a total ripoff. The 2 year is more valuable, and while yes it doesn't match the comprehensive coverage of the original 4 year warranty, it's still worth something. I had a few repairs declined by CPO, but in the end it covered my value guide seals + upper oil pan gasket - well over $10K in repairs at the dealer. So for me, it was worth it! But again with the current 1 year additional warranty, it's a ripoff. Dealers still asking top dollar for CPO'd vehicles despite the shorter warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 08:36 PM   #35
BlackX5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I only posted the BMW CPO page for OP as the site still lists a few E70's, even though non of them are CPO'd at this point.

At least our E70's came w/ the 2 year CPO warranty, unlike today where it just adds 1 year, which yes is a total ripoff. The 2 year is more valuable, and while yes it doesn't match the comprehensive coverage of the original 4 year warranty, it's still worth something. I had a few repairs declined by CPO, but in the end it covered my value guide seals + upper oil pan gasket - well over $10K in repairs at the dealer. So for me, it was worth it! But again with the current 1 year additional warranty, it's a ripoff. Dealers still asking top dollar for CPO'd vehicles despite the shorter warranty.
I didnt know CPO means it comes with a warranty.. But you had valve seals done on your 50i M-sport? Is that a 2012?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 11:38 AM   #36
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I didnt know CPO means it comes with a warranty.. But you had valve seals done on your 50i M-sport? Is that a 2012?
Yes - Certified Pre-Owned vehicles historically came with a 2 year/50K mile warranty once the original 4 year/50K warranty expired, though it was not as comprehensive/plenty of exclusions. I don't know where the cutoff is, maybe someone else here knows (model year or date?), but today's CPO warranty is only 1 year and unlimited miles. Dealers still charging big $ for CPO'd vehicles despite less warranty coverage.

Yes - valve guide seals were replaced on mine under CPO, thankfully those weren't excluded! Yes, mine's a 2012.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 07:49 AM   #37
BlackX5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Yes - valve guide seals were replaced on mine under CPO, thankfully those weren't excluded! Yes, mine's a 2012.
Was yours consuming oil more than normal?
Is your engine the same as all 50i's?

What do you all think about this x5?
I asked for the carfax on it.
The blue looks better than other blues. Not sure if the camera man is trucking me or if it really looks that good . But I dont want valve issues.
https://www.e-zautofinance.net/inven...tails/45610264

Here is another, but the mileage is creeping up
https://www.europeanautohaus.com/201...I_21761081.veh

Here is an m-sport with lower mileage. But I didn't really want that style of wheel. Haha
https://www.europeanautohaus.com/201...I_21996282.veh

Last edited by BlackX5; 08-06-2018 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 03:59 PM   #38
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Was yours consuming oil more than normal?
Is your engine the same as all 50i's?

What do you all think about this x5?
I asked for the carfax on it.
The blue looks better than other blues. Not sure if the camera man is trucking me or if it really looks that good . But I dont want valve issues.
https://www.e-zautofinance.net/inven...tails/45610264

Here is another, but the mileage is creeping up
https://www.europeanautohaus.com/201...I_21761081.veh

Here is an m-sport with lower mileage. But I didn't really want that style of wheel. Haha
https://www.europeanautohaus.com/201...I_21996282.veh
It was definitely consuming extra oil, almost all of these 50i's do. Mine wasn't terrible, but the dealer has a specific test to determine valve stem failures. Mine failed it, although not immediately, it took awhile. Mine also had just 55K miles on it, most fail 50-100K (according to my SA) so I was early in the range.

I have the N63 motor, same as every other 2011-2013 xDrive50i.

First one above I really like, very rare Deep Sea Blue Metallic. Good mileage on that one too - has Sport Package w/ 20's, Premium Package, and Active Ventilated Seat Package, which includes the Multi-Contour seats. Lots of other available equipment it's lacking, but overall I think it looks great...nice find.

Second one above is really nice too - Black Sapphire Metallic. No VIN provided but I can see it has M Sport, Premium, Technology, & Cold Weather packages, plus Multi-Contour Seats, 3rd row seats, and the very rare, 2013 only, M Performance Package. HP is increased from 400 to 440, and Torque from 450 to 480. This package also includes black exhaust tips instead of chrome, and the aluminum pedals (seen in the pics). Does not have the optional 20's but you can find those for sale on this forum.

Last one also looks nice, Carbon Black Metallic. M Sport, Premium, & Cold Weather Packages, plus Multi-Contour Seats. And it has the optional 20 inch wheels, style 333.

They all look nice for different reasons. Guess it comes down to carfax reports, any possible maintenance history available, which color you like best, etc. They all have the multi-contour seats, I think those are a must have. The 2nd one has the highest mileage, but it the best optioned one.

There are plenty of aftermarket warranties available if you are worried about the value guide seals.

You thinking of pursuing one of these?

Last edited by jiggz; 08-06-2018 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 06:24 PM   #39
BlackX5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

You thinking of pursuing one of these?
ya I called on the deep sea blue one this morning and asked for the carfax,, he said we only use autocheck.. so i'm like ok.. thats better than nothing.. and I gave him my email and phone number and I never received it. Then I checked the link just now, and its a bad link. So, either it already sold or they decided to repost and ask for more $. Oh well, I don't like buying without seeing it anyway..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 08:27 PM   #40
BlackX5
Private First Class
Rep

Throttle Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKR View Post
Those 50i's had clearly something wrong with the engine. There is zero lag when 50i engine has no air leaks, pressure converters are working and turbo's are spinning as they are designed. The N63 was specifically designed with turbo response in their mind at München:

Text from N63 workbook:
Great importance is attached to turbocharger response in the N63 engine. A delayed response to the driver's command, i.e. the accelerator-pedal position, is not acceptable.
The driver therefore must not experience any so-called "turbo lag". This requirement is met in the N63 engine with two relatively small turbochargers, which are connected in parallel. Each cylinder bank drives one exhaust turbocharger.
The advantage of smaller turbochargers lies in the fact that, as the turbocharger runs up to speed, the lower moment of inertia of the turbine causes fewer masses to be accelerated, thus allowing the compressor to attain a higher boost pressure in a shorter amount of time.

I have both engines in our garage. 35i has noticeable turbo lag, 50i has immediate response to the pedal.

weird.. Here it is again. Throttle response / lag time / dead zone. @12:29
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 09:14 AM   #41
TKR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 40e & 2018 330e

I agree everything this guy says about 35i. If you want to enjoy immediate response and fast shifting you have to keep it in sport mode all the time. It also means you will have higher revs, and the turbos are ready to blow full blast right away.

But if you drive 35i in comfort mode, there is not too much torque in 1200 - 2000 RPM range, and it feels bit underpowered compared to 50i in low RPMs. 35i needs to downshift to smaller gear immediately if you want to take off faster, and it really goes after 3000RPM.

50i pulls strong also below 2000RPM.

Also the ECU and software are probably slightly different year by year. I just had a 2018 X5 35i loaner for few days, and it barely had any turbo lag at all (comfort mode) compared to my 2012 X3 35i M-Sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #42
BlackX5
Private First Class
Rep

I'm not referring to turbo lag. But a dead spot at the top of the pedal
Appreciate 0