XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-29-2018, 12:30 PM   #1
MCB_X5M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

You are about to partake in my journey for the most amazing set of wheels! Spoiler alert, my new wheels are beautiful!

It all started back in July of 2018, July 14th to be exact. On this day I mustered up the courage to dive into the custom wheel market and knew I needed to find the right Motorsport shop to help me minimize mistakes and make a quick decision I would be happy handing over my hard earned cash for. I turned to the Bimmerpost forum to find a respectable, active vendor to deal with. I found Steve @Need4Speed Motorsport who seemed to be active on the forum posting wheel specials nearly twice a week. To be safe, I searched the forums, google reviews and Yelp which all confirmed generally positive experiences, so I jumped in headlong.

I was excited about this opportunity and cruised the Need4Speed website looking for wheels that wouldn't break the bank; I found some wheels on clearance at a stellar price and shot off an email to Steve.

I reached out at 11am CST to Steve and received a response same day, this was the type of service I had hoped for and knew I was going to be in great hands! Steve informed me that the wheels I inquired about would not fit my X5M but instead offered up three other similar styles that would work well. Can assure you that Steve has great taste in wheels but I couldn't spend the cash he was recommending. I asked him for a lower price point and he can back with three more awesome options with nearly no delay!

I selected a set of AG M652s and asked him to work up a price with and without tires. On 7/18, Steve sent over pricing and after a little research I decided to source tires locally. I got a final quote from Steve for a set of AG M652s with TPMS sensors, black lugs and a custom smoked mirror finish. Steve and I went back and forth on a few details and timeline expectations and came to terms with payment issues on the evening of 7/24. I couldn't have been more pleased with Steve's responsiveness and general desire to walk me through the options and seat my mind at ease with forking over a few thousand dollars. Steve assured me the typical turnaround was 2 weeks and possibly a third week to account for shipping to Texas.

A week later, on August 1st, I followed up with Steve to ensure everything was still on track. He responded on the 3rd with bad news... the M652s don't come in the dimension necessary for my vehicle. It's a bummer that it took a week and a half to figure this out but better late than never! Steve suggested a different set that I wasn't excited about but I browsed their site again and settled on the AG M610s in the same finish. I asked him to expedite the order given we were now two weeks delayed and he said he would and also offered me a deal on ceramic coating for a 25% discount which I agreed to on 8/10 and issued payment same day.

On 8/17 I followed up and Steve responded that AG now told him the custom finish would take 2 weeks instead of the 5 days he was originally quoted. I again asked him to expedite and was told he would do everything he could to shorten the timeline for the coating and shipping to Texas.

I followed up again on 8/23 and didn't hear back until 8/28 with no additional status except that Steve was hoping to have them by the end of that week.

I'm growing a bit impatient at this point as N4S has had my cash for over a month and we aren't getting anywhere with an order that was expected to take 2-3 weeks. I place a call to Steve, but he is busy and so I follow up the next day by email (9/7).

On 9/7 Steve emails that the wheels have arrived and were being coated same day so they could go out that night! What a relief!!! I should receive tracking info any minute. I called daily to get updates on tracking details and Steve was never available... neither was a Manager (Edger?)... I received tracking details on 9/13 for delivery on 9/19. I called Steve to request a delay in delivery as I would be out of town until that Saturday. He said no problem! I kept watching and never saw the delivery date change so called on Friday (9/14) and Steve made some calls!

Two wheels showed up on Tuesday, 9/19 and 2 wheels were delayed until Monday, 9/24. My neighbor was nice enough to recover the two that were delivered in my absence. On Monday, 9/24, no wheels were delivered.. I contacted UPS and they indicated the wheels had been lost and they would investigate. I emailed Steve and received a call the next day. Late Tuesday afternoon I got an email that the package was found and would be delivered on Wednesday the 26th.

The remaining two wheels arrived in damaged boxes with a scrape on the front wheel near the outer lip... I am hoping the tires will hide this flaw, otherwise back to ordering a new wheel!

Whew, finally a complete set of wheels... but no lugs or TPMS! Steve assured me these would be packaged with the wheels and yet, nothing in the boxes. I am pretty irate at this point but Steve assured me he will next day these items to me for a Friday, 9/28 arrival. I call Thursday for tracking details, no call back, I call Friday for tracking details and Steve is on the other line... I opt to hold as I haven't been getting lucky with any call backs from Steve! After a few mins Steve comes on and complains that his warehouse guy hasn't been keeping up but that the items will go out in an hour and arrive Saturday, 9/29 by 10am. My package showed up at 11 am on 9/29 but it only contains 4 TPMS, no lugs!

I have had it at this point, 2 month delay on a 2 week order, about 30 emails and 10 calls and never once has a manager contacted me even though I have asked 3 individuals at N4S at least 5 times to make that happen.

I hope to source lugs locally and put this behind me but I would urge you to consider local business and avoid Steve at all costs!

If you stayed with me to the very end, know that I am happy with the AG wheels and craftsmanship, also know that I understand that N4S was at the mercy of the AG manufacturing timeline and that the biggest improvement they could have made in my experience is to keep me overly informed of the progress and double check their shipments to minimize delays.

I will update this review should N4S attempt to make this right or if I experience any noteworthy issues around repair of that wheel damaged in shipping.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 10:15 AM   #2
rodnex
Private
Rep
Drives: E70 3.0si, E70 3.0d, E70 X5DUS

Hey,
beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
If I was that beholder, I would call my car a ricer.
Sorry, but IMHO they don't go well with the X5M at all.
Best regards,
Rod
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 10:24 AM   #3
MCB_X5M
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnex View Post
Hey,
Best regards,
Rod
I sure appreciate your opinion! Not sure I see anything close to "ricer" but to each their own! Take care and enjoy your BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB_X5M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnex View Post
Hey,
Best regards,
Rod
I sure appreciate your opinion! Not sure I see anything close to "ricer" but to each their own! Take care and enjoy your BMW.
Don't similar spoked wheels come on the M3? Are they ricers as well?

https://cdn.spincar.com/swipetospin-...seups/cu-1.jpg
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
rodnex
Private
Rep
Drives: E70 3.0si, E70 3.0d, E70 X5DUS

The X5 is a massive car and these tiny curvy spokes just don't match.

This is the same reason I would any time go for 333M wheels rather than stock X5M wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 01:35 PM   #6
Nexo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 x5 2011

Garage List
2011 X5 e70  [0.00]
Quote:
You are about to partake in my journey for the most amazing set of wheels! Spoiler alert, my new wheels are beautiful!

It all started back in July of 2018, July 14th to be exact. On this day I mustered up the courage to dive into the custom wheel market and knew I needed to find the right Motorsport shop to help me minimize mistakes and make a quick decision I would be happy handing over my hard earned cash for. I turned to the Bimmerpost forum to find a respectable, active vendor to deal with. I found Steve @Need4Speed Motorsport who seemed to be active on the forum posting wheel specials nearly twice a week. To be safe, I searched the forums, google reviews and Yelp which all confirmed generally positive experiences, so I jumped in headlong.

I was excited about this opportunity and cruised the Need4Speed website looking for wheels that wouldn't break the bank; I found some wheels on clearance at a stellar price and shot off an email to Steve.

I reached out at 11am CST to Steve and received a response same day, this was the type of service I had hoped for and knew I was going to be in great hands! Steve informed me that the wheels I inquired about would not fit my X5M but instead offered up three other similar styles that would work well. Can assure you that Steve has great taste in wheels but I couldn't spend the cash he was recommending. I asked him for a lower price point and he can back with three more awesome options with nearly no delay!

I selected a set of AG M652s and asked him to work up a price with and without tires. On 7/18, Steve sent over pricing and after a little research I decided to source tires locally. I got a final quote from Steve for a set of AG M652s with TPMS sensors, black lugs and a custom smoked mirror finish. Steve and I went back and forth on a few details and timeline expectations and came to terms with payment issues on the evening of 7/24. I couldn't have been more pleased with Steve's responsiveness and general desire to walk me through the options and seat my mind at ease with forking over a few thousand dollars. Steve assured me the typical turnaround was 2 weeks and possibly a third week to account for shipping to Texas.

A week later, on August 1st, I followed up with Steve to ensure everything was still on track. He responded on the 3rd with bad news... the M652s don't come in the dimension necessary for my vehicle. It's a bummer that it took a week and a half to figure this out but better late than never! Steve suggested a different set that I wasn't excited about but I browsed their site again and settled on the AG M610s in the same finish. I asked him to expedite the order given we were now two weeks delayed and he said he would and also offered me a deal on ceramic coating for a 25% discount which I agreed to on 8/10 and issued payment same day.

On 8/17 I followed up and Steve responded that AG now told him the custom finish would take 2 weeks instead of the 5 days he was originally quoted. I again asked him to expedite and was told he would do everything he could to shorten the timeline for the coating and shipping to Texas.

I followed up again on 8/23 and didn't hear back until 8/28 with no additional status except that Steve was hoping to have them by the end of that week.

I'm growing a bit impatient at this point as N4S has had my cash for over a month and we aren't getting anywhere with an order that was expected to take 2-3 weeks. I place a call to Steve, but he is busy and so I follow up the next day by email (9/7).

On 9/7 Steve emails that the wheels have arrived and were being coated same day so they could go out that night! What a relief!!! I should receive tracking info any minute. I called daily to get updates on tracking details and Steve was never available... neither was a Manager (Edger?)... I received tracking details on 9/13 for delivery on 9/19. I called Steve to request a delay in delivery as I would be out of town until that Saturday. He said no problem! I kept watching and never saw the delivery date change so called on Friday (9/14) and Steve made some calls!

Two wheels showed up on Tuesday, 9/19 and 2 wheels were delayed until Monday, 9/24. My neighbor was nice enough to recover the two that were delivered in my absence. On Monday, 9/24, no wheels were delivered.. I contacted UPS and they indicated the wheels had been lost and they would investigate. I emailed Steve and received a call the next day. Late Tuesday afternoon I got an email that the package was found and would be delivered on Wednesday the 26th.

The remaining two wheels arrived in damaged boxes with a scrape on the front wheel near the outer lip... I am hoping the tires will hide this flaw, otherwise back to ordering a new wheel!

Whew, finally a complete set of wheels... but no lugs or TPMS! Steve assured me these would be packaged with the wheels and yet, nothing in the boxes. I am pretty irate at this point but Steve assured me he will next day these items to me for a Friday, 9/28 arrival. I call Thursday for tracking details, no call back, I call Friday for tracking details and Steve is on the other line... I opt to hold as I haven't been getting lucky with any call backs from Steve! After a few mins Steve comes on and complains that his warehouse guy hasn't been keeping up but that the items will go out in an hour and arrive Saturday, 9/29 by 10am. My package showed up at 11 am on 9/29 but it only contains 4 TPMS, no lugs!

I have had it at this point, 2 month delay on a 2 week order, about 30 emails and 10 calls and never once has a manager contacted me even though I have asked 3 individuals at N4S at least 5 times to make that happen.

I hope to source lugs locally and put this behind me but I would urge you to consider local business and avoid Steve at all costs!

If you stayed with me to the very end, know that I am happy with the AG wheels and craftsmanship, also know that I understand that N4S was at the mercy of the AG manufacturing timeline and that the biggest improvement they could have made in my experience is to keep me overly informed of the progress and double check their shipments to minimize delays.

I will update this review should N4S attempt to make this right or if I experience any noteworthy issues around repair of that wheel damaged in shipping.
are the rims designed or capable to support the weight of the x5m.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 02:14 PM   #7
X Driver
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: X5M Black Fire Edition

Enjoy the new wheels, are those 20"?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 07:54 PM   #8
MCB_X5M
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexo View Post
are the rims designed or capable to support the weight of the x5m.
I believe so, both Need 4 Speed and the rep at AG knew the application I was using them on.

How would you confirm?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 07:58 PM   #9
MCB_X5M
Enlisted Member
Rep

It seems the TPMS sensors aren't registering with the car... after resetting from the dash and driving for half an hour I get an error of TPMS Malfunction.

Any thoughts on how to register the sensors?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 07:59 PM   #10
MCB_X5M
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Driver View Post
Enjoy the new wheels, are those 20"?
They are. I didn't want to go larger after seeing the tire prices!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 09:01 PM   #11
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Haters gonna hate! I think it looks beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 09:05 PM   #12
MCB_X5M
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy91 View Post
Haters gonna hate! I think it looks beautiful.
Thanks! The ride is much improved without the runflats... now I am just paranoid about curbing the wheels!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 11:07 PM   #13
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

They definitely don't look 'ricer'

I do think 20's are too small if going aftermarket though, but you love them so thats all that matters.

What are the specs of these wheels? Are they narrower than stock? Sorry if I missed that in your original post.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 07:24 AM   #14
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

IMO 21"+ is a must on this vehicle due to the sheer size of the thing. Maybe a slight drop would tie it all together though.

To each their own...you seem pumped so enjoy it in good health!
Appreciate 1
TheVazha685.50
      10-01-2018, 07:30 AM   #15
MCB_X5M
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
They definitely don't look 'ricer'

I do think 20's are too small if going aftermarket though, but you love them so thats all that matters.

What are the specs of these wheels? Are they narrower than stock? Sorry if I missed that in your original post.
20x11 front and 20x12 rear. I'm unsure about the offsets.

I'm running Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 275/40/20 & 315/35/20.

Just have to get the TPMS sensors working.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 09:19 AM   #16
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Think they look great!!
Excellent choice.
Past: 2020 X3M, 2019 TTS, 2008 X5 4.8 M Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 01:24 AM   #17
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Not a fan but as long as you are happy..... Maybe a H&R 1.2" drop?

I have realized that the 21" wheels and a nice drop 1.2" kit or KW coilovers suit the X5M a lot.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 1
TheVazha685.50
      10-03-2018, 01:44 AM   #18
ThewhippetsS5
Rep
Drives: 2008 997TT Cab

Looks fantastic to me! Love a meaty 20" setup

2008 Porsche 997 Turbo Cabriolet 6MT - AWE 750r ...Flame Thrower
2016 Audi RS7
2015 BMW X5M
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 01:09 PM   #19
Vitalität
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 & X5

Garage List
2015 BMW i3 BEV  [0.00]
2007 BMW X5 48i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2004 BMW 330i  [0.00]
I agree, should be 21" and above. The wheel style is not the most liked and demanding but certainly not the worse. It does look small and because of that, the sidewall looks bigger which makes it looks ricey for some people. I can see your excitement and enthusiasm and anticipation of the wheels during the process so I know it can be annoying to see all the negative response from some of the folks. Bottomline is, if you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

Garage: BMW i3 Giga World BEV | BMW E70 X5
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 01:16 PM   #20
MCB_X5M
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalität View Post
I agree, should be 21" and above. The wheel style is not the most liked and demanding but certainly not the worse. It does look small and because of that, the sidewall looks bigger which makes it looks ricey for some people. I can see your excitement and enthusiasm and anticipation of the wheels during the process so I know it can be annoying to see negative response to some folks. Bottomline is, if you are happy with it, that's all that matters.
Thanks! The interesting thing to me is this is the exact same setup as stock, just a different finish and a more open design.

When I think about "ricers" (confirmed by google image search) I imagine lowered cars, lots of body work and flashy graphics. When I focus on the wheels themselves, seems they too go larger diameter with super low profile tires. Maybe I just don't get it! :
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 01:54 PM   #21
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Thanks! The interesting thing to me is this is the exact same setup as stock, just a different finish and a more open design.
I think this is exactly what bugs me with this setup. There is nothing wrong with the style IMO, it's the size that's the issue. This style just doesn't look good as a small wheel (and yes, 20" is small on this application). Replacing stock setup with stock setup specs seems like a waste of time and money to me unless you found some OEM wheels you liked better than what you had and got them for cheap from another member.

I don't think this looks ricer at all, but it does look like you went into Discount Tire for some new tires and they gave you a heck of a deal on some sweet "aftermarket" wheels...

In the end, all that matters is that you like it.

P.S.
I'd like to add that you've been heck of a good sport about the criticism here. This is a matter of personal taste so don't take it to heart if someone is not sharing your opinion. We're a small, honest group of enthusiasts willing to help a member out whenever we get a chance so cut us some slack for our brash behavior on this thread. We mean well. Cheers.

Last edited by mirob; 10-03-2018 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #22
MCB_X5M
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Quote:
I think this is exactly what bugs me with this setup. There is nothing wrong with the style IMO, it's the size that's the issue. This style just doesn't look good as a small wheel (and yes, 20" is small on this application). Replacing stock setup with stock setup specs seems like a waste of time and money to me unless you found some OEM wheels you liked better than what you had and got them for cheap from another member.

I don't think this looks ricer at all, but it does look like you went into Discount Tire for some new tires and they gave you a heck of a deal on some sweet "aftermarket" wheels...

In the end, all that matters is that you like it.

P.S.
I'd like to add that you've been heck of a good sport about the criticism here. This is a matter of personal taste so don't take it to heart if someone is not sharing your opinion. We're a small, honest group of enthusiasts willing to help a member out whenever we get a chance so cut us some slack for our brash behavior on this thread. We mean well. Cheers.
I am enjoying the banter for sure! The way I see it, I am completely satisfied with the install and really do like the way it came together... a bonus on the side may be helping others identify if the do/don't like the wheel or finish thus contributing to the community!

Furthermore, the primary goal of the thread was actually a warning about a vendor sourced from this forum... the wheels and design are independent of the level of service I received and felt my experience warranted documentation!

Next up, powder coated calipers... thinking shocker yellow:
Attached Images

Last edited by MCB_X5M; 10-03-2018 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
mirob3034.50