XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
rios0311
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X6 ActiveHybrid

Qustion About X6 AciveHybrid Warranty

My X6 ActiveHybrid did not have any of the owner's manuals when I purchased it a few months ago. I found a good set on ebay and purchased it. I was surprised to learn that there is a section at the end of the warranty booklet that outlines a 7 year / 70,000 mile warranty on many of the hybrid's componenst, such as the Vanos, turbo, hybrid battery, brake pedal and booster, engine control module, head gaskets and a slew of other critical items (almost 2 pages worth) that I can't recall at the moment.

However, the manual states that those components are offered under the California Emissions Warranty thing-a-majig. The manual further states that the California Emissions Warranty applies only to vehicles sold, leased and or registered in a few states, such as Vermont, Pennsylvania, Maine, California, New Jersey, Connecticut and a few others.

I have a question about this. Since my vehicle is registered in Virginia, does this mean that the warranty does not apply to me? I think my vehicle was first sold in Georgia, a state that is not on the list. Since the warranty explicitly states "...or registered in..." I'm thinking that I can drive up to Pennsylvania when the regular warranty is almost up and register the car there to take advantage of the 7 year warranty on those components. I have an address I can use there.

Any comments on this? Am I interpreting this correctly? Will the fact that the vehicle is registered in one of those states make it eligible for the extra warranty coverage?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
rios0311
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep

Here are the specific pages of the warranty book. Note the explanation at the asterisk:

Name:  X6 ActiveHybrid Warranty 1.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  337.3 KB

The covered parts list:

Name:  X6 ActiveHybrid Warranty 2.jpg
Views: 4263
Size:  89.2 KB

Does this mean that the components on the list are not covered under the warranty for 7 years on all vehicles unless the vehicle was purchase, leased or registered in one of the listed states?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
rios0311
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep

No one here knows?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
ndabunka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d Sport Black/Black

It depends...

You drive less that 10K miles/year & the prior owner also averaged under that? If not, you may not need to be concerned about it as the extended warranty runs out at 80K miles.

We bought a Toyota Hybrid back in 2006 and one of the things that helped us make that decision was that the batteries were covered by a 100K/8 year warranty that was forced on Toyota by the federal government so it was nationwide. I think that would be the case for the X6 Hybrid as well. Have you contacted BMW themselves?
Appreciate 0