XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #1
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

08 X5 3.0si Oil Pan Leak

Hey guys, I recently found an oil pan gasket leak on my wife's X5. It's got 86k miles so was surprised to find that it is the oil pan gasket...completely ruled out the oil filter housing gasket since the car is super clean everywhere except around the gasket. Warranty went up last fall so this one is on me. Anybody seen a DIY on this? The closest I've gotten is a 330xi with the N52...should be similar.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1211290

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321
Hey guys, I recently found an oil pan gasket leak on my wife's X5. It's got 86k miles so was surprised to find that it is the oil pan gasket...completely ruled out the oil filter housing gasket since the car is super clean everywhere except around the gasket. Warranty went up last fall so this one is on me. Anybody seen a DIY on this? The closest I've gotten is a 330xi with the N52...should be similar.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1211290

Any ideas?
Well it's possible the dealer may goodwill it since your just out of warranty (less than a year)

It's happened to me, your chances are better if you bought the x5 their as well.

Also you can call BMW USA and let them file a case for you as when your just out of warranty they sometime will cover the fix or pay half.

It's worth a try the worst that can happen is they say no.

But both my 2 minis and z4 got good willed even though i was out of warranty on both.

Also if it looked like it's been leaking for a while they may take that as a leak started while it was under warranty and fix it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Well it's possible the dealer may goodwill it since your just out of warranty (less than a year)

It's happened to me, your chances are better if you bought the x5 their as well.

Also you can call BMW USA and let them file a case for you as when your just out of warranty they sometime will cover the fix or pay half.

It's worth a try the worst that can happen is they say no.

But both my 2 minis and z4 got good willed even though i was out of warranty on both.

Also if it looked like it's been leaking for a while they may take that as a leak started while it was under warranty and fix it anyway.
Thanks, that is worth a try. I'll call them today and see if they can help.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #4
JGard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24 BMW iX xDrive50

Man, I don't know how similar they are, but I just had to replace the oil pan gasket on my E36 M3. That sucked. Super pain in the ass to do just because the steering rack and subframe are all in the way. I wish you luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 06:06 PM   #5
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGard
Man, I don't know how similar they are, but I just had to replace the oil pan gasket on my E36 M3. That sucked. Super pain in the ass to do just because the steering rack and subframe are all in the way. I wish you luck.
Yep the sub frame has to be lowered on the x5 as well. It's possible to do it without lowering it but to do it right you need to drop it. Not an easy task. Unless you have a lift.
Appreciate 0