XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-08-2016, 01:15 PM   #23
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye View Post
Thought you were Velos? I passed no problem.
I was originally going to go with Velos but the guys over at AA made an offer I couldn't refuse...I'm going to try something a little different to get the truck to pass this weekend, ever since I had the new index 12 injectors installed the truck has been running very rich(soot all over back of the truck) and throwing a CEL
      07-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #24
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo View Post
I was originally going to go with Velos but the guys over at AA made an offer I couldn't refuse...I'm going to try something a little different to get the truck to pass this weekend, ever since I had the new index 12 injectors installed the truck has been running very rich(soot all over back of the truck) and throwing a CEL
I would bring her in to have the injectors re-calibrated. Something doesn't sound right. I recall you saying your MPG is worse than before the replacements. You would think were running carburetors with all these a/f % issues.

Now that were speaking about this I recall something relevant to note; When I went catless with Stage2+ I actually had a CEL with a bad O2 sensor fault code. I instinctively blamed the software not emulating the O2 voltage correctly but in actuality, It turned out to be a bad sensor that needed to be replaced. Either I damaged the sensor or it coincidentally went bad at the same time I went catless. Can you post your CEL fault code here?

Thread
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...7#post20227167
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 06:05 AM   #25
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye View Post
I would bring her in to have the injectors re-calibrated. Something doesn't sound right. I recall you saying your MPG is worse than before the replacements. You would think were running carburetors with all these a/f % issues.

Now that were speaking about this I recall something relevant to note; When I went catless with Stage2+ I actually had a CEL with a bad O2 sensor fault code. I instinctively blamed the software not emulating the O2 voltage correctly but in actuality, It turned out to be a bad sensor that needed to be replaced. Either I damaged the sensor or it coincidentally went bad at the same time I went catless. Can you post your CEL fault code here?

Thread
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...7#post20227167
I'm going to bring it back to the same dealer to have them check out the injectors as soon as I get it back. My mpg prior to getting new injectors was around 12mpg...after BMW changed to index 12 it's been averaging around 9mpg and that's with me taking it easy not to mention black soot all over the back of the truck, I have to wipe it down after a 5 minute drive. My garage wall also has 2 GIANT black rings on the wall since I back in

I should be getting the truck back next week sometime, I'm not sure if the CEL will be on by that point since my buddy is trying to get it to pass emissions
      10-25-2016, 08:17 PM   #26
X5M_Midwest
Private
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 M3 Vert

I have gutted oem cats with the velos tune. its still showing my CEL! i might have to go this route also.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 04:37 PM   #27
X5M_Midwest
Private
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 M3 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamo3 View Post
No visual inspection in Illinois, I used to have a heavily modified 9 sec. Evo VIII with all emissions equipment removed that used to pass with flying colors

On the X5 it would be tough to verify that you removed your stock CATS unless they remove the engine cover and heat shield. These guys do nothing more than plug-in to your OBD-2 port, run the test, and tell you if you pass/fail with a print out.
You add them to the rear 02? Which side driver or passenger?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 03:36 AM   #28
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaM3 View Post
If I remember correctly it was the passenger side bung
      10-27-2016, 03:55 PM   #29
Creamo3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaM3 View Post
Both
      08-12-2017, 08:52 PM   #30
GoHokiesGo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

This is an older thread, but I just bought an X5M and am running into a similar situation.

I didn't know it from my initial inspection, but I found out that my new truck has aftermarket catless downpipes. Great for performance, but I can't register the truck until it passes emissions.

Two questions:
1) does the X5M have two sets of cats with a primary on the DPs and a secondary somewhere further down the exhaust, or are the DP cats the only ones in the exhaust for this vehicle? If secondary cats are in place, it at least helps me get past a visual inspection for the presence of a cat in the exhaust.
2) Do any of the tunes out there - Velos, AA, Eurocharged - actually eliminate or trick the OBD readiness for emissions, or are they all just there to prevent the CEL on the dash and still cause you to fail emissions?

Stuck between a rock and a hard place in registering the car, as I'd have to spend a fortune to buy stock catted DPs to pass emissions.

JP Photography - Travel/Landscape/Automotive Photography
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #31
jcm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 07 911 TT

Only one set of cats on each downpipe. Try longer o2 sensor spacers first...other than that the only option is stock Downpipes. Software won't set the readiness correctly.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 04:14 PM   #32
GoHokiesGo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Well that's a bummer, I was hoping we at least had secondaries somewhere. Same with the tunes not being able to show readiness. Thanks for the confirmation though.

EDIT-
So the original photos for the spacers aren't showing up for me any longer, but it looks like I can see the O2 sensors from the top side of the engine bay. There are one each coming off right behind the turbos that I assume are the pre-cat sensors. When I look further down I see one post-cat sensor on the drivers side, but it looks like there are two on the passenger side. Are these both O2 sensors? Do both on the passenger side need spacers? Just the ones with the metal shrouding around the wires? Really crappy cell phone image attached with the two sensors circled in red.
Attached Images

Last edited by GoHokiesGo; 08-13-2017 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: Added more info
Appreciate 0