XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #67
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Ride quality will suffer, warranty from KW affected, excessive stress on other suspension components, etc... KW does a lot of homework on their gear, you really should follow their recommendations.

If you don't care about performance, perhaps D2's will be a better fit. Its a budget brand Taiwanese company. Probably half the cost of KW
      04-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #68
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_MSPORT View Post
What happens if you go lower than the range specified in the specs? I'm just trying to see what would happen if I was wanting more lows.
If you lower the front out of the spec range then you're risk damaging the struts goes up exponentially and also void KW's warranty. They can more than likely tell from the wear on the threads how low it was set if there's ever a warranty claim. I think the lowest in the front is 16" from the center of wheel to the wheel arch on the fender.

If you're talking about the links in the back being out of spec, then I'd imagine the air bags won't lower enough, or they would be really close to loosening up enough to disconnect. That happened to me the first time and it's not pretty. The ass-end of side that the link disconnected from basically sits on the fender.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #69
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M

Certainly no risk of me pushing things that far, but I'll be wanting it as wound down as things will allow without making for horrid ride aswell as risk of damage to components/bodywork.

I looked at going down the route of airrex but couldn't let the KW V3s pass for the money I paid. Fingers x there's enough range of drop for me without having to go airrex, as already mentioned KW don't mess around when it comes to engineering the suspension setups.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #70
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by windtendo
Quote:
Originally Posted by skforzagroup View Post
can anyone give me advice on where the links should be set at???
As long as you set the length between the two nuts within the range specified in the specs (I think it was 1.5-2") you're good. The air bags will self level with whatever the front is set at, so the whole point of these different links is allowing the rear to go lower than previously allowed with the OEM links.
This isn't how it works. The rear is entirely independent if the height of the front. Self leveling refers to the vehicle maintaining the same rear height regardless of load. To change the height you need the adjustable links. The stock links are not adjustable.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #71
SaBzD
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5M

need help

hey guys im new to this forum and need to make a post before i make my own thread but ive installed the kw v3 system on my 2011 x5m and have tried factory settings and playing with settings but i cant get the car to feel right for the life of me, it always feel harsh and unbalanced.... ive seached all over the forums and read many posts but i cant seem to get it right, i cant help but think that maybe i have some bad coilovers or something...

the car is 30 in from the ground at all corners and right now im running stock 20's with winter tires. i have 22's for summer....

if anyone has any input that could help me out would be greatly appreciated

after reading comments from people on this forum everyone says they ride close to stock and some say more comfortable than stock, but im nowhere near that...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 05:48 PM   #72
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

I'm mobile right now so I can't link, but search my journal from the last page working back to find the settings.

You could also search forum member jest. In his suspension thread I posted my settings there as well.
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 08:57 AM   #73
chusteveb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5 guy View Post
I'm mobile right now so I can't link, but search my journal from the last page working back to find the settings.

You could also search forum member jest. In his suspension thread I posted my settings there as well.
In the process of searching for others KW V3's settings... So glad you said to search from the last page backwards of your journal! Lol

Love you X5 btw!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 09:21 PM   #74
vmoh718
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw x5

can you tell me the settings on your v3 i dont like how mine rides
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 09:39 PM   #75
vmoh718
Registered
Rep

kw v3 help

2009 3.0 with coils in the back
am i the only one that dont like the ride of kw v3 can someone please help me with the settings and im on run flats
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 09:46 PM   #76
vmoh718
Registered
Rep

kw v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaBzD View Post
hey guys im new to this forum and need to make a post before i make my own thread but ive installed the kw v3 system on my 2011 x5m and have tried factory settings and playing with settings but i cant get the car to feel right for the life of me, it always feel harsh and unbalanced.... ive seached all over the forums and read many posts but i cant seem to get it right, i cant help but think that maybe i have some bad coilovers or something...

the car is 30 in from the ground at all corners and right now im running stock 20's with winter tires. i have 22's for summer....

if anyone has any input that could help me out would be greatly appreciated

after reading comments from people on this forum everyone says they ride close to stock and some say more comfortable than stock, but im nowhere near that...
mine nowhere near that also lol
im thinking about going back stock
i need help soon

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0