XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-05-2016, 05:01 PM   #1
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Mobil 1 No Longer Makes Motor Oil for Many BMW's

As crazy as this sounds, apparently it's true.

Mobil 1 0w40 European Car Formula used to state on the back of the bottle that it met BMW's Longlife-01 spec.

I went to order some more 5 gallon pails from Amazon, and I noticed the following review:

"I bought this for my BMW 330i as it is supposedly an LL-01 approved oil. However, it it NO LONGER an LL-01 approved oil and the pictures listed are incorrect. The new front label no longer has BMW listed and the rear label listing the chart of which manufacturer is approved no longer has BMW as well.

I bought this oil as I recently read online that M1 0W-40 was losing the BMW LL-01 accreditation, however, Amazon has already switched over to the new stock but has not yet changed their picture."

Sure enough, I used the "find the right oil" feature on Mobil 1's website, and when I entered my X5 (a 2011 50i) I received the following response:

Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30 or 5W-40 viscosity and oil that meets BMW Longlife LL-01 or BMW Longlife-01FE. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications.

I also own a 2016 M235, and the same message appeared when I entered that car.

Sounds like Mobil 1 European Car Formula is no longer being marketing in the United States.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 08:17 PM   #2
KayTees
Tuned ///M Cars Only
Canada
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C |'20 F97 X3MC

Garage List
I use Liqui Moly 5W-30 for my 35i. Cousin uses Castrol TWS 10W-60 for his M.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 11:00 PM   #3
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

I stopped caring what BMW recommends when they started ignoring engine bearing clearance recommendations from manufacturers. I've also personally seen the top ends of two different M54 engines, one used OEM Castrol, the other Mobil 1, and the engine that used Mobil 1 was unquestionably cleaner. Oil change intervals and mileage of both cars similar. Another thing, BMW has had some very interesting oil weight suggestions, specifically with the M models, that have contributed to excessive engine wear. Add this all up and you can see why I stopped trusting "BMW recommended" oil options
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2016, 11:06 PM   #4
socale39
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayTees View Post
I use Liqui Moly 5W-30 for my 35i. Cousin uses Castrol TWS 10W-60 for his M.
If your cousin drives an E60 M5 or E92 M3, he should quickly consider changing.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by socale39 View Post
I stopped caring what BMW recommends when they started ignoring engine bearing clearance recommendations from manufacturers. I've also personally seen the top ends of two different M54 engines, one used OEM Castrol, the other Mobil 1, and the engine that used Mobil 1 was unquestionably cleaner. Oil change intervals and mileage of both cars similar. Another thing, BMW has had some very interesting oil weight suggestions, specifically with the M models, that have contributed to excessive engine wear. Add this all up and you can see why I stopped trusting "BMW recommended" oil options
Assuming the Mobil 1 product you are referring to above was the European Car Formula that previously met the BMW Longlife -01 spec, I would just point out that your past observation about the engine that was said to have used Mobil 1 is likely irrelevant given that Mobil 1 no longer sells that product, at least in the United States.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #6
socale39
Major
Rep

Unless the European Car Formula has changed here in the states, then I wouldn't expect a different outcome. Since switching to the European Formula and changing the weight for my E46 I've seen a good reduction in oil consumption and the top end seems to be pretty clean. My oil change intervals are 7500.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 10:32 AM   #7
shark715
Captain
Rep

It has changed. That's the whole point. It's much more than just a change to the label on the bottle.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #8
kcheves
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 x35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
It has changed. That's the whole point. It's much more than just a change to the label on the bottle.
Or Mobil chose not to certify it to the BMW standard, for whatever reason. I use M1 0W-40 on our E46 and a 911. I like having a common oil, which I buy in bulk at Walmart. The E46 is pushing 200k miles and I'll likely stock with Mobil 1. It may be irrational, but I just don't care for Castrol oil.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 12:25 PM   #9
fourpointeight
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5 4.8i E70

I only run liqui moly 5w-40 in my 4.8, ran castrol bmw oil and the new shell bmw oil 5w-30 and it doesnt compare, will always end up going back to liqui moly
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #10
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheves View Post
Or Mobil chose not to certify it to the BMW standard, for whatever reason.
If they have a product that meets BMW's spec, why in the world would they avoid stating that? Do you really think they want to sell less of their products instead of more?

Mobil no longer offers the same product. The formulation of what they offer for sale in the U.S. now is significantly different, and does not meet the BMW LL-01 spec.

If you are interested in the technical details regarding what has changed, you can find some forum threads about this at bobistheoilguy.com.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 01:28 PM   #11
socale39
Major
Rep

Well, I wasn't aware that Mobil finally went to GTL, I had read a while back they were going to possibly get a GTL plant so if anything this is good news!!!! Wondering if they will be moving all of their automotive engine lubricants to GTL.....

In comparison to PAO, the GTL product that Mobil 1 is producing will actually have higher quality ISO paraffins which is the lubricant base stock. If anything we'll see more companies going this route than not and with increased environmental and efficiency pressures on manufacturers it'll only be a matter of time before BMW tests and approves GTL products. The downside to GTL, cold flow/CCS (Cold Cranking Simulator).....of which most people wouldn't have any issues except for those in very cold climates. Even then, additives can be introduced to improve the performance.

In my opinion this is good news and if you do enough research and studying I think you'll agree. If anything this is yet just another reason why I could care less of "BMW approved" labeling.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 01:42 PM   #12
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by socale39 View Post
it'll only be a matter of time before BMW tests and approves GTL products.
Are you saying that BMW tests and certifies oil rather than the oil manufacturer certifying that their product meets BMW's spec? And are you saying that GTL products actually already meet BMW's LL-01 spec, and it's a matter of BMW getting around to testing them, or are you saying you expect BMW will change their spec to include GTL products?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #13
socale39
Major
Rep

When I say tests and approves, I mean BMW will do it internally to see how GTL products will perform on their engines, for all we know BMW could possibly be already testing or not....its hard to speculate. Since GTL originates from natural gas this is indeed a new type of formula and given that the lubricating properties of GTL are positive I'm sure BMW would, at the least, consider it for particular applications. My thought is that it will be a different certification than LL-01 spec since its a different quality of lubricant base stock but I could be wrong. I'm just not sure how they will view GTL vs others (ie: comparing apples to apples) when it comes to certification. I'm sure there is someone on here or on the oil forums that would have better insight or is familiar with the cert process that can shed more light.

In the end, if GTL proves to be as beneficial as the tests show, I don't see how a manufacturer couldn't consider it if costs are the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #14
kcheves
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 x35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
If they have a product that meets BMW's spec, why in the world would they avoid stating that? Do you really think they want to sell less of their products instead of more?

Mobil no longer offers the same product. The formulation of what they offer for sale in the U.S. now is significantly different, and does not meet the BMW LL-01 spec.

If you are interested in the technical details regarding what has changed, you can find some forum threads about this at bobistheoilguy.com.
Thanks, I'll read that. It sounds like the oil actually has changed. My comment about certification was based on Porsche N-rated tires, where certification for tire suppliers is burdensome, resulting in some very good tires not being sanctioned by Porsche for use on their cars. Interestingly, the Mobil 1 site still recommends their 0W-40 European formula for my 911. It's the factory fill though, so marketing probably comes into play.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #15
dannyny
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourpointeight View Post
I only run liqui moly 5w-40 in my 4.8, ran castrol bmw oil and the new shell bmw oil 5w-30 and it doesnt compare, will always end up going back to liqui moly
what are the differences? i am looking to switch my oil to something other than BMW. was planning on going castrol edge professiona 5w-30 or liqui moly. please provide feedback. thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 03:46 PM   #16
fourpointeight
Private
Canada
Rep

I used to work at bmw and the master techs and shop foreman swore by liquimoly. It is allso bmw LL-01 certified and With 5w40 its a little thicker so it wont leak and runs really smooth and quiet. There probably is more expensive oil that is better like motul but liquimoly i personally feel is better than castrol, mobil1 or the new bmw shell oil.
When i first bought my 4.8 - 2 years i opened up the valve covers and there was a lot of metal shavings from the premature wear of the VANOS due to lack of oil changes. Especially with the v8s the temperature runs hotter and breaks down the oil and seals faster. I replaced all the gaskets and the coolant exchange pipe and was still burning half a litre every 3000kms. Once i changed over to liquimoly i havent burned a drop and there isnt anymore wear that i can tell. Currently pushing almost 190k on the odometer and still pushing strong.

I also change my oil every 6-10k instead of the 26k bmw recomends for long life oil.
$40 for 5 litres here in toronto so for americans its probably pennies on a dollar.

Last edited by fourpointeight; 03-07-2016 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #17
socale39
Major
Rep

Running a different thickness is probably the primary reason for the change in consumption, not the brand.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 05:16 PM   #18
fourpointeight
Private
Canada
Rep

Personally i prefer liquimoly, all the tests they do and comparison videos on youtube prove it.
But i agree thicker oil is most likely the reason for less oil consumption. But any oil rated LL-01 that doesnt break down fast with heat would be sufficent.
Just avoid non LL-01 oils if you dont plan on changing it every 3000 miles. Ive seen people using normal synthetics in our bmws and it was thinner than water by the time it was ready for an oil change.
Bottom line is that we're all owners that want our vehicles to last the longest possible with as little problems as possible. So from the best of my knowledge previously being a bmw employee im giving this community my honest thoughts on what i believe in and works for me.
MODS: K&N drop-in air filters, USMILLWORKS adjustable plate mount, aerodynamic kit, vinyl wrapped gloss black interior trim, one off custom rear trunk spoiler, tinted tails, magnaflow free flow mufflers, H&R 1.2" Lowering springs with adjustable links +many more
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #19
cbakking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70-X5M

For 2010 X5M what kind of liqui Moly oil would be best? Top Tec 4200 5W-30? there's no liqui Moly 10W-60 for M's?
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/p...oiladb=web.nsf
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #20
fourpointeight
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbakking View Post
For 2010 X5M what kind of liqui Moly oil would be best? Top Tec 4200 5W-30? there's no liqui Moly 10W-60 for M's?
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/p...oiladb=web.nsf
Here you go race tech specifically designed for bmw M cars. Says right on the front of the jug too

http://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-202.../dp/B00CPL918E
MODS: K&N drop-in air filters, USMILLWORKS adjustable plate mount, aerodynamic kit, vinyl wrapped gloss black interior trim, one off custom rear trunk spoiler, tinted tails, magnaflow free flow mufflers, H&R 1.2" Lowering springs with adjustable links +many more
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 05:30 PM   #21
socale39
Major
Rep

I hope you weren't referring to the YouTube video comparing Mobil 1 vs LiquiMoly where the Mobil 1 caught fire. Its one thing to make an opinion from professionally done tests vs uncontrolled consumer tests you find on YouTube.

The fact is LiquiMoly is a great oil, but Mobil 1 0w-40 is equally as good. No one has yet to scientifically prove which is better so either option you can't lose. Of course the new debate will be how the Mobil 1 GTL product does against the competition.

Lastly there's a lot more to oil break down than just heat. With typical BMW engines found in M vehicles, oil consumption is the norm to a certain extent but in some cases with consumption means the introduction of fuel. Fuel particulates can aid in the oil break down process among a list of other variables. Unfortunately when it comes to oil nothing is just black and white.

Btw I used LiquiMoly for my M5s and Mobil 1 for my non M vehicles so I'm not biased towards either.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 07:16 PM   #22
fourpointeight
Private
Canada
Rep

No no, theres videos of how liquimoly is able to lubricate faster and breakdown slower etc etc. But everyone is entitled to their opinions, BMW recommended castrol because they had a contract with them, obviously they wouldnt recommend any other brand. Now they recommend their own brand made by shell. Its profitable for them and that really is all it is.
Mobil 1 has always been a great oil same with redline, royal purple, liquimoli, motul etc. All good for different applications.
Now that mobil1 stopped being BMW LL-01 approved we dont know if it will be a different formula. Therefore people are scared about whether its good or bad for our cars anymore. So the best option is going with an oil that is recommended by other fellow members.
Appreciate 0