XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
foofitr
SoCal beach bum
United_States
Rep
Drives: DINAN X6 xDrive 50i

Exclamation FYI for X6 xDrive 50i drivers

I posted a thread in December about an SOS sytem failure on my fully loaded 50i that caused malfunctions to the stereo & blutetooth, disabling both. Mine was one of the fist such cases for this model, and it took a week for BMW service to diagnose and fix the problem, but I was happy to know that the issue was resolved. In the end, it was an ECU that needed to be replaced in the computer. My next electrical issue presented itself last Saturday while I was washing my car and listening to playoff football on the Sirius radio, with the engine off. The car went completley dead after 10 minutes, and every time I tried to start the engine, all the symbols on the dash display flashed quickly on and off, and the car started clicking constantly. I had to have it towed to BMW service, where they found I had drained the battery. This was a shock to me considering all I thougt I was doing was listening to the radio, and for no more than 10 minutes. What I was told by the service department is that whenever you turn the power to the radio on, it also sends power to many other drivers that control climate, seats, iPod, cell phone, and etc., etc. etc. I don't claim to be a car expert, so I was curious, does this explanation sound reasonable?
I was disappointed to find that I won't be able to simply listen to games or music while washing my X6, but I guess that's the price you pay for all the other luxuries. I have a habit of leaving my iPod connected in the car for days a a time, and that too will drain battery, even if the car is off (This is what the dealer told me). Thoughts anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofitr View Post
I posted a thread in December about an SOS sytem failure on my fully loaded 50i that caused malfunctions to the stereo & blutetooth, causing them to go completely dead. Mine was one of the fist such cases for this model, and it took a week to diagnose and fix the problem, but I was happy to know that the issue was resolved. My next electrical issue presented itself last Saturday while washing my car and listening to playoff football on the Sirius radio with the engine off. The car went completley dead after 10 minutes, and every time I tried to start the engine, all the symbols on the dash display flashed quickly on and off, and the car started clicking constantly. I had to have it towed to BMW service, where they found I had drained the battery. This was a shock to me considering all I thougt I was doing was listenng to the radio, and it was for only 10 minutes. What I was told by the service department is that whenever you turn the power to the radio on, it also sends power to many other drivers that control climate, seats, iPod, cell phone, and etc., etc. etc. I don't claim to be a car expert, so I was curious, does this explanation sound reasonable?
I was disappointed to find that I won't be able to simply listen to games or music while washing my X6, but I guess that's the price you pay for all the other luxuries. I have a habit of leaving my iPod connected in the car for days a a time, and that too will drain battery, even if the car is off (This is what the dealer told me). Thoughts anyone?
I wash/dry mine and never had battery issues. Even played music at tailgate parties.

You do need to hit the button every 10 min, kind of annoying. I wish there was a bypass.

The thing to remember is make sure you are only in the ACC position and not powering all the dash lights, headlights, and starter. That will drain the battery for sure.
      01-14-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
foofitr
SoCal beach bum
United_States
Rep
Drives: DINAN X6 xDrive 50i

Thanks for the info. My dealer didn't tell me about the ACC position, can you explain?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Thanks for the info. My dealer didn't tell me about the ACC position, can you explain?
If you read the owner's manual, if you press the start/stop button without the breake pressed, you go into accessory mode.

If you hold the brake, and press the button, the car starts.

If you hold the button down for a couple seconds, the car turns off completely.

If you hold the button briefly, the engine stops, but AC is still on.
      01-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
I posted a thread in December about an SOS sytem failure on my fully loaded 50i that caused malfunctions to the stereo & blutetooth, disabling both. Mine was one of the fist such cases for this model, and it took a week for BMW service to diagnose and fix the problem, but I was happy to know that the issue was resolved. In the end, it was an ECU that needed to be replaced in the computer. My next electrical issue presented itself last Saturday while I was washing my car and listening to playoff football on the Sirius radio, with the engine off. The car went completley dead after 10 minutes, and every time I tried to start the engine, all the symbols on the dash display flashed quickly on and off, and the car started clicking constantly. I had to have it towed to BMW service, where they found I had drained the battery. This was a shock to me considering all I thougt I was doing was listening to the radio, and for no more than 10 minutes. What I was told by the service department is that whenever you turn the power to the radio on, it also sends power to many other drivers that control climate, seats, iPod, cell phone, and etc., etc. etc. I don't claim to be a car expert, so I was curious, does this explanation sound reasonable?
My IPOD is connected 24 hrs a day and I always listen to music for up to 30 minutes at a time (have to keep hitting the ignition button every 10-15 minutes to reset power) but I have never had a dead battery in 5 months.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
My IPOD is connected 24 hrs a day and I always listen to music for up to 30 minutes at a time (have to keep hitting the ignition button every 10-15 minutes to reset power) but I have never had a dead battery in 5 months.
My ipod is plugged in 7/24 ( except for updating) and I listen to it all the time but while driving. The "hit the button every 10-15 minutes to reset power" is this in the accessory mode that Chuck mentioned ?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
My ipod is plugged in 7/24 ( except for updating) and I listen to it all the time but while driving. The "hit the button every 10-15 minutes to reset power" is this in the accessory mode that Chuck mentioned ?
Yes. It will only stay on in the accessory mode for a limited amount of time before it cuts power and you have to hit the button again
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 01:08 AM   #8
Nezo86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
Yes. It will only stay on in the accessory mode for a limited amount of time before it cuts power and you have to hit the button again
i know this is off topic but i think i saw you on the tollway on wed.... i dont think anyone hels has a VR in dallas...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #9
leonelm3
SHOCKINVIBES MOTORSPORTS !
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001AA SC E46M3+09AudiQ7 Sline

I am glad i cam across this topic, my wife has mentioned similar. we do not have the same complaints about rear-view or have had any issues what-so-ever with our fully loaded X6 xDrive50i. but she swears everything stays powered while we are out of the car and she is locked up sung in the garage.

now i have to get outta my AASC M3 and check into her concerns.
2008 BMW X6 xDrive 50i
on 22's
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonelm3 View Post
I am glad i cam across this topic, my wife has mentioned similar. we do not have the same complaints about rear-view or have had any issues what-so-ever with our fully loaded X6 xDrive50i. but she swears everything stays powered while we are out of the car and she is locked up sung in the garage.

now i have to get outta my AASC M3 and check into her concerns.
Hey leonelm3, you never posted any pics of your X6 on those 22" wheels... at least I don't remember having seen any...

Do you have any to share with us? I'm curious to see what that looks like. Also, what rubber do you have mounted on them and how is the ride compared to the stock 20"?

Also, what 'Extensive Performance & Custom upgrades' did you do to the X6 if you don't mind me asking?
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0