XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-17-2017, 07:29 PM   #1
330MX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Question 2010 X5M w/ 80K miles - thoughts?

Hey folks,

Looking for feedback. Reviewing a 2010 X5M w/ 80K miles. Dealer maintained, one owner (family friends), no mods, just a nice grocery getter. California.

Will have a PPI done and want to know if there are specifics to look for or general items to know about. Do you trust these M's past 100K? Past 80K?

Appreciate the feedback. I've searched a bit here and on other sites but not finding much feedback from owners with higher miles.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 08:13 PM   #2
windsailor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M Black Saphire

82k plus on 2013 here, solid. Check for cheap maintenance items like battery, rotors, pads, recalls and gral records. I'm starting thinking about timing belt so, others may chime in.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #3
330MX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also here are the options. Anything notable or anything missing? I see the space-saver spare is on there.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 02:14 PM   #4
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330MX View Post
Also here are the options. Anything notable or anything missing? I see the space-saver spare is on there.

Thanks
There were 5 packages available on the E70 X5M, I see 3 on this one:
Driver's Assistance Package (rear-view camera w/ top view, HUD, automatic high beams)
Premium Sound Package (enhanced sound, satellite radio)
Rear Climate Package (4 zone climate control, rear side window shades)

It doesn't have the Active Ventilated Seat Package (multi-control seats, ventilated front seats, massaging driver's seat) or Cold Weather Package (heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, ski bag). Front heated seats are standard though.

Standalone options listed are soft close doors, space saver tire, leather dashboard, comfort access, red-brown wood trim, and power tailgate. Not seeing the high gloss roof rails or side-view camera. Everything else listed is standard equipment.

Overall it's well optioned!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 06:29 PM   #5
330MX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Jiggz.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
windsailor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M Black Saphire

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1367059
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 09:57 PM   #7
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

I started down this road 2.5 weeks ago with my 2010 purchased in Dallas.

Get the VIN and check your active recalls. I would also consider calling BMW NA as they were really helpful. So here goes:

Day 3 - snapped the front prop shaft into 3 pieces on a hard 1-2 shift, but not on launch mode.

Ordered replacement from eBay. Arrived. Wrong shaft, but still discovered you have to drop the exhaust and drivers lower downpipe to replace. Correct shaft in now; total cost to me $350.

Drove it to get windows tinted cause stock equals sauna. Noticed a bit of odd bog on the drive home.

Took the kids to school this morning and then one to a doc appt in the afternoon. Highway run for 10 miles then stomped it to make a light (cause ahole.) Then instantly hit limp mode. Coasted two blocks to the doc then limped to O'Reilly's. Pulled off the top engine cover to discover a hard vacuum line snapped in half, but there was a spacer holding it off of the rack that keeps the hoses off of the top of the motor. So I figure I'll just slide that spacer over to bandaid it. Snaps off on the other side. So into the store I go, grab a close in diameter rubber hose and some hose clamps. Problem solved! But not...

Code reader says permenant misfire on cylinder 7.

So now plugs and coils time, which honestly was planned anyway as I want to get a full tune up done before dropping a g at Burger for the Stage 2 goodies.

Problem is... I want to do this on my own time, but this bitsch has her own schedule in mind.

Am I having second thoughts? Yeah... Big time. I could have had an in warranty Caddy ATS 2.0t to 400hp by now with the money I'm dropping... But hey... Turbo V8 SUV in the 11s is such a power draw right?

We'll see... Maybe a for sale sign in our future. Makes me very sad and very frustrated.

For you and anyone else that might consider it... Ask yourself... "Am I handy? Do I have time to sit around and practice being handy?" If the answer to either is no then I'd shop another platform. Pains me to say this.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 06:31 AM   #8
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 MSport

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy91 View Post
I started down this road 2.5 weeks ago with my 2010 purchased in Dallas............
I see you posting about your X5M in a few threads. Did you have a PPI done before purchasing it?

Purchase your W///AGON Stickers Here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1930190
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 10:54 PM   #9
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNY516 View Post
I see you posting about your X5M in a few threads. Did you have a PPI done before purchasing it?
I did not. Bought from a broker as a two owner with solid service history tracked via Carfax.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 10:52 AM   #10
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Carfax tracks very little service history, especially from independent mechanics. Carfax is also horrible for tracking accident history. They can add any accident in at any time (even years later) and you wouldn't know until after you bought it and try to sell it. It is a horrible resource to solely rely on.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 09:47 PM   #11
godmans
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / 335i / X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy91 View Post
I started down this road 2.5 weeks ago with my 2010 purchased in Dallas.

Get the VIN and check your active recalls. I would also consider calling BMW NA as they were really helpful. So here goes:

Day 3 - snapped the front prop shaft into 3 pieces on a hard 1-2 shift, but not on launch mode.

Ordered replacement from eBay. Arrived. Wrong shaft, but still discovered you have to drop the exhaust and drivers lower downpipe to replace. Correct shaft in now; total cost to me $350.

Drove it to get windows tinted cause stock equals sauna. Noticed a bit of odd bog on the drive home.

Took the kids to school this morning and then one to a doc appt in the afternoon. Highway run for 10 miles then stomped it to make a light (cause ahole.) Then instantly hit limp mode. Coasted two blocks to the doc then limped to O'Reilly's. Pulled off the top engine cover to discover a hard vacuum line snapped in half, but there was a spacer holding it off of the rack that keeps the hoses off of the top of the motor. So I figure I'll just slide that spacer over to bandaid it. Snaps off on the other side. So into the store I go, grab a close in diameter rubber hose and some hose clamps. Problem solved! But not...

Code reader says permenant misfire on cylinder 7.

So now plugs and coils time, which honestly was planned anyway as I want to get a full tune up done before dropping a g at Burger for the Stage 2 goodies.

Problem is... I want to do this on my own time, but this bitsch has her own schedule in mind.

Am I having second thoughts? Yeah... Big time. I could have had an in warranty Caddy ATS 2.0t to 400hp by now with the money I'm dropping... But hey... Turbo V8 SUV in the 11s is such a power draw right?

We'll see... Maybe a for sale sign in our future. Makes me very sad and very frustrated.

For you and anyone else that might consider it... Ask yourself... "Am I handy? Do I have time to sit around and practice being handy?" If the answer to either is no then I'd shop another platform. Pains me to say this.
I am sorry to break the news to you, but what you have experienced are known issues with the E7x Ms, which you would have seen with research prior to purchase. Good news is that you are pretty much at the later part of the list of issues.

IMO, this is one of the more reliable Ms, when compared to the E46, E60 and E9x that have much more catastrophic failures.
Appreciate 0