XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #23
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_esp View Post
yeaaaaaah Jeremy Clarkson says a lot of truths and that's because I like Top Gear!!! lol I like the BMW X6 but its useless

sounds like your qualified to replace him.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #24
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
Honestly I don't know why they get a man that can't even operate a standard computer to save his life to try and operate a BMW. Jeremy has more grey hair then my dad (63) and should just stick to reviewing Italian or English vehicles because they don't have any electronics to figure out. And if they did I would hope there is a good warranty to come with them.

BMW should also outlaw their cars on Top Gear. These guys just don't get it and neither will they ever get it. This guy was born in the ice ages and as much as I find him entertaining he is really a moron. Good to know that his crew keeps pumping money into Ranger Rover as they just might turn a profit one of these days.

LOL , I was wondering who was keeping range rover in business.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #25
bayerischeperformance
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
Honestly I don't know why they get a man that can't even operate a standard computer to save his life to try and operate a BMW. Jeremy has more grey hair then my dad (63) and should just stick to reviewing Italian or English vehicles because they don't have any electronics to figure out. And if they did I would hope there is a good warranty to come with them.

BMW should also outlaw their cars on Top Gear. These guys just don't get it and neither will they ever get it. This guy was born in the ice ages and as much as I find him entertaining he is really a moron. Good to know that his crew keeps pumping money into Ranger Rover as they just might turn a profit one of these days.
Clarkson loved the e9x m3 it was hard for him to admit it but he does. Same with the z4

Just cause fifth gear got cancelled you don't need to get your panties in a wad lol
      01-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #26
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

I have posted my comment on general forum,but a think that whole episode is a crap!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 12:37 PM   #27
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

I thought the entire point was that the X6 is, indeed, pointless.

You put summer tires on performance cars. The X6 is a big, oddshaped SUV, so why does it wear summer tires? You're spending M3 money for a vehicle that doesn't drive half as well, yet doesn't give you anything in return... like the ability to go up a grassy hill or across some snow.

So out of the factory you're buying a car that lacks the pros of a sports car and lacks the pros of an SUV. So the only thing it's good at is being unique. Such a product from a non-boutique manufacturer is pretty pointless. And thus, the comments of it not being a car for the current era.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #28
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
good review. i liked the comparison he did in HK. "built by the world that doesn't exist."

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #29
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
I thought the entire point was that the X6 is, indeed, pointless.

You put summer tires on performance cars. The X6 is a big, oddshaped SUV, so why does it wear summer tires? You're spending M3 money for a vehicle that doesn't drive half as well, yet doesn't give you anything in return... like the ability to go up a grassy hill or across some snow.

So out of the factory you're buying a car that lacks the pros of a sports car and lacks the pros of an SUV. So the only thing it's good at is being unique. Such a product from a non-boutique manufacturer is pretty pointless. And thus, the comments of it not being a car for the current era.
Well put.

The point you all are missing is that this vehicle was driven as it comes from the factory. Why put summer max-performance tires on a car that is not going for great skid-pad numbers. Surely if I ever buy a car with all wheel drive, I at least expect to be able to drive in the most moderate inclement conditions, which is what was shown in this episode. They didn't throw a foot of snow at it, but a wet grassy hill. That IS fair people. Sorry that it upsets you.

I am a fan of the X6, but if you buy it, pass on the sports package so you can actually use the car, not just look cool.
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #30
DarqueFun
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

hilarious review!

While I admit i'll never be caught buying an X6...I think he has a point though...

5200lb SAV is well...silly to say the least. If you were getting the TT V8, now that's ok...but even for that price....I can think of far better cars to have...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #31
mcacciola
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i, Silver - M Sport

JC can continue pounding BMW the way he wants and for as long as he lives.

The truth is that at the end of the day for whatever conspiracy plan or hidden agenda he has to criticize BMW models at the end of the day he continues doing free advertising.

All great things and people were always loved and criticized. That's what leaders and visionaries are made for.

Keep up the good work JC! ;-)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #32
ZKA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X6 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
define useful in a vehicle sense.
dmlgc has a point... For example: If i wanted to rock crawl, i would buy a Wrangler with a lift kit. But since i dont rock crawl and dont "need" too; thus, a Wrangler is useless IMO. So its all subjective init?! So why would i buy a crappy ride & handling, under powered (YES, UNDER POWERED), dismal fuel economy "SUV" that doesn't even have space (im talking about the 2 door)? Like him, i spend most of the time in the car with no passengers and dont "need" an X5. IMO an X6 isnt useless, and dont find a Wrangler useful. Others would disagree, and thats ok... if thats what they want then thats what they want.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #33
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
i agree. it's a totally pointless car built in totally different life, when we "trusted banks" as he puts it. I think there is no arguing that this car is a testament to excess and consumerism. But is it awful? Not really, it's a funky looking truck that finds its own group of buyers with big bucks. Good on BMW for marketing idea.

Its a fun car to drive fast and impressive for SUV but it's not really an SUV is it. I'm waiting when he will review the X6M. That would be interesting.

on a side note - whoa, the fanboys of BMW are getting mad for just a review. Why you care so much what JC thinks anyway. You voted with your wallet. Don't have to force others to like the car you do.
      01-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #34
dan4tuc58
Workaholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 X5; 08 535; 08 135; 09 335

Cool uhhh

I think i should chime in because although I don't own one, I do have an x5 and have used (swapped cars with) our extended family's x6 a few times and got one as a loaner when servicing my 5.

This car is expensive but it has plenty of technology that satisfies and justifies the expense IMO. It's got PDC cameras so you dont need to see out the rear for that purpose. Who does that anymore? really... and the line of sight out the rear is comparable to a 1 series convertible which we have as well...you get used to it all...and you set your side mirrors out enough to compensate for any lack of sight.

The iDrive is easy as sh*t to use...and there is a split screen option...but i guess it is a technology leap for those that are not inclined to learn and need geek squad to setup their tv's at home haha.

As far as handling - it handles great and pulls away amazingly on the highway...you wouldnt drive those other rx types this way... (not to mention it has a great exhaust note).
Out of the box the x5 does better with no need for a tire swap for most thing for dirt hills and off-road camping (used it a few times) but when you have these x6 sport tires...you just need to swap - it's a no-brainer. And having taken the x6 to big bear multiple times - there were no issues at all doing so... and we had plenty of room. When using it for beach camping there is no problem. Using it to go bike riding or hiking is no problem. Typical activities give you no problem not many go off-roading in these cars... if that's your thing, you buy something else...but light off-road stuff is easily handled...i laughed my ass off seeing those tests...the show is really funny and i was just waiting for a Rover to pop up to show the bias.

The body styling is meaner and more robust than the x5 which i like and gives you more of a luxury suv that you can still tool around in on weekends. You can take this x6 to the office and it looks badass and still use it on the weekends with friends or your kids for...wait for it....sports activities...hence the SAV that the x6 is... it's more of a competitor with (like someone already said) an RX, Q, MDX and all those "useless" types of vehicles. Why? because i know people that own the aforementioned because they are cheap and look good enough and have no real alternative without going over the top with a Porsche or a very reliable Rover ...but once you see the x6 and use it and judge the handling and the extra options (stuff like ventilated seats which are awesome)...one is willing to pay that extra amount - to have what one can get in other more affordable models and also get the extras that a luxury model (of those lesser vehicles) can provide.

I found / find it useful and it looks amazing - which means others must as well.

Side note:
If we think about it, I would go as far as to say that all 6 series vehicles have less practicality than other series' but there are people that buy them without thinking twice. It's a niche car like someone else said. But we need to remember that we all are part of niche classes as well. In our own 1's 3's or 5's etc...we all have different customizations that set us apart into a smaller group (ie black exterior red interior). And BMW can see that everyone wants to be different and sees the opportunity to fill the product gaps and can afford to do so because once you have a BMW you are likely to be loyal to the brand for many years. They know you will upgrade in one way or another and provide those unique choices to choose from. After you start in a 1series or 3series and grow older while driving a BMW, you want to get into a 5series or a different series to experience the different ideas and adventures that every chassis / series brings.
Soooo you choose the x6 because sometimes you need a luxury vehicle that is not really a SUV but looks better than one and is higher up like one...that you can do your physical health activities with, and still take it to the office to be admired by coworkers while being capable of outperforming the sea of mainstream sedans and Rx & Q types that are in the parking lot.
Haha sorry for the rant...just bored
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #35
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

I thought it was hilarious how he was going to all those exotic places for 10 s of video footage. Hiring yachts and jet-skis and helicopters and what not. You have to take his reviews with a grain of salt and like them for the entertainment value.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #36
anthony @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: R56 Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
I love seeing how pissed off some people get by a bad review of a car or brand they own.
+1,000,000

I'd bet that half the reason Jezza made such a harsh review of the X6 was because he knew how the BMW community would take it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #37
MichaelGr8TwaLL
Rep
Drives: ///M3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320what View Post
i agree. it's a totally pointless car built in totally different life, when we "trusted banks" as he puts it. I think there is no arguing that this car is a testament to excess and consumerism. But is it awful? Not really, it's a funky looking truck that finds its own group of buyers with big bucks. Good on BMW for marketing idea.

Its a fun car to drive fast and impressive for SUV but it's not really an SUV is it. I'm waiting when he will review the X6M. That would be interesting.

on a side note - whoa, the fanboys of BMW are getting mad for just a review. Why you care so much what JC thinks anyway. You voted with your wallet. Don't have to force others to like the car you do.
Agreed, word for word.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #38
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6 3.5

A quick assessment of those who bad mouth the car seems to come from those who don't own one. It's a wonderful machine, all else is hog wash. Screw the PC politics, 'this car was made by a world for a world that no longer exists', and the non owners. They're just jealous!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #39
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320what View Post

I buy cars that I like and don't care if others like them and that's ok. Everyone's different and that's ok. There's just something about JC that rubs me the wrong way, maybe the pompous attitude or his relentless bias against BMW while purporting to do "objective reviews".

on another note your right it's not an suv , it's a big heavy sporty AWD thing. but for some reason it keeps getting compared to 4x4's.
I've worked hard and I'm at a point in my life where I can indulge myself, it doesn't have to be practical (whatever that is).

As for the X6M review I'm sure he will complain it rides to hard and doesn't slip enough when going 130 mph through a 90 degree turn. wonder what he will use to compare it with, last time I checked a rover can't do that and stay upright.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #40
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
A quick assessment of those who bad mouth the car seems to come from those who don't own one. It's a wonderful machine, all else is hog wash. Screw the PC politics, 'this car was made by a world for a world that no longer exists', and the non owners. They're just jealous!
So people should buy a car they don't like just to be able to criticize it? I mean really what are you saying? Of course people who don't like the car aren't going to own one.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #41
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
So people should buy a car they don't like just to be able to criticize it? I mean really what are you saying? Of course people who don't like the car aren't going to own one.

ok strange logic but I'll bite, if you haven't experienced something how do you objectively critique it ?

I really don't care if people like it or not (to each his own) but as an engineer I have a hard time grasping the concept of a conclusion without any data.

Last edited by dmlgc; 01-06-2010 at 12:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 12:32 AM   #42
Rimola
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dodge Viper

as much as i love Top Gear, and believe me, i do (especially for the great entertainment value)...i just hate how "in general" they display negativity towards anything that IS NOT brittish...yet (here is the kicker)...everything they apparantly claim to be brittish, IS NOT !!! (Jag, Range, Bentley, Rolls, Aston, Lotus etc.)...majority of these cars, if not ALL...are built out of country and either designed by a frenchman, engineered by a german, owned by a russian, assembled by americans, etc. im sure you catch my drift...and somehow everything else is "rubbish"....

furthermore, i absolutely love it when they claim one of the major flaws for most cars they test is the lack of a "proper" right hand drive !!! get off your high horse you imbecile and swim across the channel for a dentist visit...christ !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Still imagine the number of farts cloth seats absorb over 4 years???

Last edited by Rimola; 01-06-2010 at 12:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 12:48 AM   #43
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimola View Post
as much as i love Top Gear, and believe me, i do (especially for the great entertainment value)...i just hate how "in general" they display negativity towards anything that IS NOT brittish...yet (here is the kicker)...everything they apparantly claim to be brittish, IS NOT !!! (Jag, Range, Bentley, Rolls, Aston, etc.)...majority of these cars, if not ALL...are built out of country and either designed by a frenchman, engineered by a german, owned by a russian, assembled by americans, etc. im sure you catch my drift...
!!
LOL

Jag and Range Rover now belong to the Indians,
Tara motors.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:03 AM   #44
Rimola
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dodge Viper

yeh i think its TATA motors....whatever the case, my point exactly. there is no more brittish engineering, because its either owned, operated or financed by foreigners. big JOKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Still imagine the number of farts cloth seats absorb over 4 years???
Appreciate 0