XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #1
getafewlives
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

2009 X5 Rear Right Window Noise

Hey everyone,

I noticed an issue today where I get a horrible screeching (like metal on glass) noise at the top 1 inch of rolling up the rear right window. I don't see any visible damage on the glass or tint, so that is good news at least.

I have read lots on the internet about regulators needing to be replaced in various BMW models, and read about either replacing the plastic clips that break, or using the "zip tie" method to fix the issue. However, this only seems to be relevant for the older generation X5's and other BMW models.

Has anyone had this issue on their E70? Will similar cheap fixes work, or am I looking at having to replace the whole regulator?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
getafewlives
Enlisted Member
Rep

After work I had some time to inspect the issue closer. First thing I noticed was that the sound wasn't near as loud as it was initially yesterday morning. My first thoughts were that it was related to the cold weather, however upon closer inspection it appears that the weatherproofing strip along the window has fallen down into the window. I compared it to the other side and it looks like it is happening there too, but not to the same extent. Going to try and fix it this issue on the weekend.

Right side (where noise came from):

Left side:

Bonus pic of my X5 and my bosses X5M (I purchased my X5 from him):

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
kcheves
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 x35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by getafewlives View Post
Hey everyone,

I noticed an issue today where I get a horrible screeching (like metal on glass) noise at the top 1 inch of rolling up the rear right window. I don't see any visible damage on the glass or tint, so that is good news at least.

I have read lots on the internet about regulators needing to be replaced in various BMW models, and read about either replacing the plastic clips that break, or using the "zip tie" method to fix the issue. However, this only seems to be relevant for the older generation X5's and other BMW models.

Has anyone had this issue on their E70? Will similar cheap fixes work, or am I looking at having to replace the whole regulator?
Maybe it's just the weather strip, but I'm guessing the weather strip is a casualty of a failing regulator.

I've replaced several BMW window regulators, it's not very difficult. I've always replaced the whole assembly, re-using the motor. There doesn't seem to be much difference in quality between the OEM units and other brands.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #4
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
Nice looking X5's.

You might consider taking the door panel off. It's pretty easy and would allow you to inspect and fix it correctly. There are videos on YouTube on taking the door cards off.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
getafewlives
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheves View Post
Maybe it's just the weather strip, but I'm guessing the weather strip is a casualty of a failing regulator.

I've replaced several BMW window regulators, it's not very difficult. I've always replaced the whole assembly, re-using the motor. There doesn't seem to be much difference in quality between the OEM units and other brands.
You may be right. I partially took off the door panel, just enough to fix the weatherstripping and put it back together, but the noise is still there. Maybe next weekend I will take it off completely and do a better visual inspection.

Also got around to removing the phone cradle in the center console, and installed my radar detector/dash cam

Appreciate 0