XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-26-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
pers785
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Dashcam Install

Tried searching but couldn't find any details specific to dashcam installs for e70 X5. Saw a few well written DIY for radar detectors, and not sure if it's similar in terms of tapping to the same wire.

Anyone with a link?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 07:06 AM   #2
jason0
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5

bump.. also interested
can you post the links about the radar detector? I'm sure its the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 09:48 PM   #3
pers785
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason0 View Post
bump.. also interested
This is what I used to hardwire my V1 - I believe the only difference is I used a green and white wire while this link refers to a green and brown wire. Hardwire worked like a charm otherwise.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=515517
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 09:59 PM   #4
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pers785 View Post
Quote:
bump.. also interested
This is what I used to hardwire my V1 - I believe the only difference is I used a green and white wire while this link refers to a green and brown wire. Hardwire worked like a charm otherwise.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=515517
Is the white and green a power only when the car starts?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 07:52 AM   #5
pers785
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
Is the white and green a power only when the car starts?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #6
pers785
Private
Rep

Bump. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 06:42 AM   #7
jason0
Rep

I plan on installing one in the next two weeks.... I'll let you know
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #8
getafewlives
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Once the weather warms up here, I will be installing a dash cam & radar detector as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 08:54 PM   #9
pers785
Private
Rep

Just finished hardwiring it to the fuse box in the trunk with a Multi Safer and working well so far. Having more issues with the Blackvue 650s settings because its recording numerous files throughout the night (car is parked outside) due to motion sensor - finally adjusted those settings as well.

Wasn't too difficult. With the multi safer, you just ground one wire, one add a fuse for a ACC fuse, and one more add a fuse for an always on fuse. Took a few minutes with a light meter to see which fuses are on and which are ACC.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 07:08 AM   #10
jason0
Rep

Quote:
Just finished hardwiring it to the fuse box in the trunk with a Multi Safer and working well so far. Having more issues with the Blackvue 650s settings because its recording numerous files throughout the night (car is parked outside) due to motion sensor - finally adjusted those settings as well.

Wasn't too difficult. With the multi safer, you just ground one wire, one add a fuse for a ACC fuse, and one more add a fuse for an always on fuse. Took a few minutes with a light meter to see which fuses are on and which are ACC.
Do you have any tips on pulling down the overhead console when you wired your radar detector? I ended up breaking a few plastic pieces when I did it on my E36.

Also, how did you run the wires from windshield to the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #11
getafewlives
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Do you have any tips on pulling down the overhead console when you wired your radar detector? I ended up breaking a few plastic pieces when I did it on my E36.

This is why I haven't attempted to install mine yet. I want to make d@mn sure that I don[t break or damage anything. Right now, the weather here is way too cold and the plastic clips are too brittle to attempt to remove.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #12
pers785
Private
Rep

Quote:

Take your time and approach it from the front (I was practically sitting on my dash and facing the rear). If I remember correctly, there were two tabs along the front (each tab was a few inches away from the corner) and those are the tabs you're trying to unclip.

You can see the tabs on this picture at 7 and 8 o clock. If you're able pull down enough to get a gap and visualize the tabs, it makes it easier to see where you're targeting.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 08:02 PM   #13
pers785
Private
Rep

Quote:

Are you asking about the wires to the trunk for the Dashcam? I ran it all through the headliner and its concealed pretty well. The only issue I am having is the rear camera and there being a bit of slack of wire when the rear is closes (since on SUVs/Hatchbacks, the rear windshield goes up and down with the trunk).

Looks somewhat like this, but not as obvious since my liner is black and not white:

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 10:30 PM   #14
jason0
Rep

you posted a few minutes too late... I just finished up. It was surprisingly easy to remove the upper console. I used a plastic trim removal piece and shoved it up there in the front. I pushed in more then down.

I usually break every plastic piece possible when removing trim... but I didn't break anything.

My dashcam has 3 wires for input, batt, acc, and ground. I used red/blue for the batt wire, which appeared to be hot at all times, and the green/white which appears to be hot with the ignition. This allows park mode to be activated properly.

I did not run the rear camera yet... looks like there is quite a bit of room above the headliner where you might just be able to snake it through?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #15
pers785
Private
Rep

Quote:
you posted a few minutes too late... I just finished up. It was surprisingly easy to remove the upper console. I used a plastic trim removal piece and shoved it up there in the front. I pushed in more then down.

I usually break every plastic piece possible when removing trim... but I didn't break anything.

My dashcam has 3 wires for input, batt, acc, and ground. I used red/blue for the batt wire, which appeared to be hot at all times, and the green/white which appears to be hot with the ignition. This allows park mode to be activated properly.

I did not run the rear camera yet... looks like there is quite a bit of room above the headliner where you might just be able to snake it through?
So your dash cam also activates during parking mode? Have you gotten a "high battery discharge" warning? I've been getting that warning intermittently over the past few days. Vehicle still starts up fine, and I have a multi safer on to prevent the battery from discharging below 12.2v before disabling power to the dash cam. Still, its annoying to see that warning.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #16
jason0
Rep

Quote:
So your dash cam also activates during parking mode? Have you gotten a "high battery discharge" warning? I've been getting that warning intermittently over the past few days. Vehicle still starts up fine, and I have a multi safer on to prevent the battery from discharging below 12.2v before disabling power to the dash cam. Still, its annoying to see that warning.
Just actually plugged it in today, we will find out.

Edit: According to ISTA, its red/blue is connected to terminal 30g, which shuts off ~30 minutes or so after ignition is turned off. So the 'park' mode won't work for very long.

Last edited by jason0; 01-11-2017 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
yober34.50
      01-16-2017, 01:54 PM   #17
getafewlives
Enlisted Member
Rep

Finally got around to installing my radar detector and dash cam today, surprisingly easy. It was nice having room to work above the overhead console.

Used a bolt on the sunroof motor for ground, green/whtie wire for ACC, and I believe the power wire was a thicker red wire.

Went with stripping back a small amount of each wire, wrapping the dash cam/radar detector wire around, soldering the connection and then wrapping it in rubber tape, then vinyl tape. Nice and clean with a quality connection.

Appreciate 0