XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-28-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
simtekify
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5-E70

Strange Grating Noise - What Is It? X5 E70 Xdrive

Hi all,

wondering if someone can give me some pointers about a strange loud whirring noise my 2009 E70 X5 30d X-Drive has coming from the front - it is like a grating sound and seems to be intermittent and last from 2 to 30 seconds. Usually from a cold start but sometimes whilst driving and sometimes after the engine is switched off.

I've looked around and have seen some comments about the suspension/compressor but those examples seem to only be for a couple of seconds long, not the 20-30 that I get sometimes.

I've filmed it this week - in this example it is just after I've turned off the ignition and lasts 30 seconds.

Video here:

Any help will be very much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 05:38 PM   #2
F06msportmia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Is the rear suspension sagging? Do you have airbags in the rear?

Sounds like the compressor for the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 11:43 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by e70msportmia View Post
Is the rear suspension sagging? Do you have airbags in the rear?

Sounds like the compressor for the suspension.
Yea if you have a leak in the airbag, that is if you have auto level suspension the air compressor will run for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 08:32 AM   #4
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

I believe that only the rear axle has air suspension (Auto-Level) and that is where the suspension compressor is located...if that is correct, that noise should come from the rear, not the front. Yes, sound can transfer but that is clearly coming from the front.

The only thing I'm aware of running after the engine is shut off is the coolant auxiliary pump after hard spirited driving, and usually only after such driving, that I'm aware...and it runs for about 20-30 seconds depending on how hard the vehicle was driven, as you have described. It allows the engine and turbos to cool sufficiently if you didn't allow the car to cool off with regular driving after hard driving.

Now, we have different drivetrain setups but I would think that the concept would be the same and that the pump serves the same purpose.

NOTE: I've had that pump go out before but it didn't make any noise, it was just dead one day.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 08:00 PM   #5
Mudd46738
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

That is definitely the rear air bag compressor. I just went through this on my 2008. If you are fairly handy with tools and feel good about jacking your truck up I would take this on. I was lucky and have a friend that has a four post lift with a jack. BMW wanted 1800 for the pump and labor and 1300 for the airbags. I did the airbags first and was a piece of cake. So simple and I bought Arnott springs. They come with very simple instructions. That took care of the problem till it started getting below freezing. Then the pump started to make the same noise that was in your video. At first just a few times then more and more. The straw that broke the trucks butt was the compressor started to blow the 40A fuse. When it blows the pump lets all the air out. Which sucks!! Changed the fuse twice then bought the Arnott compressor and followed the instructions that came with and now it is back as new. I could not be happier.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 03:54 PM   #6
simtekify
Registered
Rep

Hi guys,

thank you so much for taking the time to read and reply with your thoughts on my post.
I was away over Xmas and then when I next fired up the X5 I was greeted with this noise on a far more regular basis in a half-hour period, then a message on the dash "Level Control System Failure" with suspension icon, and after stopping and looking from the side I could clearly see that the back had dropped. After restarting the engine it did raise up again and get me home, but something is definitely on its way out!

Photos attached!

I contacted the guy I bought the car from and he told me the car came from auction and when he bought it the rear was on the ground and he replaced both air bags so it does point to the compressor (or a leak but that wouldn't explain the noise). Mudd46738 thank you for your comments and reassuring me on the DIY/ask a mechanical friend - I am going to see how tricky it is to get out and decide if to pickup a used compressor for GBP £200 or try a seal rebuild kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-X5-E70...K-REPAIR-KIT-/

I guess I won't know exactly which part is to blame until it is on the ramp but might just buy both anyway so that I can fit the replacement compressor and then try to repair the old one in my own time...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 07:57 PM   #7
Mudd46738
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

That is exactly what happened to me besides it pumping up again. YouTube Arnott compressor removal and watch the video. It made me feel a lot better after watching it. It will take about an hour to complete. I was concerned when the pump started acting up because I had new bags installed and didn't want to ruin them due to riding on the bumpers and springs. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 05:39 AM   #8
simtekify
Registered
Rep

Thanks all,

it was the compressor. I picked another complete unit up from ebay and swapped them out (followed
)

All working well now!

I've opened up the old compressor to see what was wrong and 2 of the bearigns have rusted and the filter failed which has let moisture in which caused the bearings to rust and expand/friction - noise!
Appreciate 0