XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
NikB316
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition, F83 M4

X6M Info Help! Potential Buyer

Hey everyone,
I am officially in the process of parting out my M3 in my signature and selling it for something more comfortable for my 3000 miles per month driving. It has been really hard to let to of the M3 and every time I drive it I feel like I am making a mistake but I know it's not ideal for the amount of driving I'm doing. I was first considering a new F10 M5 or AWD AMG but the idea of spending $110k on a new car and dumping 100k miles on it in 3 years isn't very smart.

I basically have narrowed down my selection to a preowned X6M, X5M or Cayenne Turbo. Looking to spend ~$70k or under. I am leaning towards the X6M as it seems sportier and unique compared to the others. 95% of my driving is on highways and I wanted something winter friendly. Back seats are not at all important to me nor is gas milage. I know nothing is going to be nearly as fun as my M3 but I drove an X6M and definitely enjoyed it for what it's worth. I'm sure a tune + DP will make the car that much more fun to drive too.

Anyway, on to my main questions for you X6 / X6M owners:

How comfortable and fun would you say your X6M is for a 100 mile daily highway commute?

Do you find the car feels at all cramped for just a driver and front seat passenger?

Were the seats changed for any model year? Didn't find anything searching but again, comfort is important here.

It seems to be more "cruising" friendly than the M3 as I spend most of the drive around 90mph (keyword: most ) . I feel the height makes the drive less strenuous as well.

Any insight you guys can provide regarding my situation especially those that made the same move would be much appreciated! Would appreciate information on any other things to look out for as well. I am looking forward to modding the car quite a bit. Some really nice mods available for this car that I had no idea about!

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
zsx_m
Rasp Addict
Rep
Drives: Moonstone M4

Just curious - why not garage the M3 and daily drive the X6?

I own both cars but my X6 is a 35i. I also drive about 3k miles/ month, and when you drive that many miles for business you sort of end up living in your car. If comfort is important to you then I would suggest a non-sport model with comfort seats, comfort doesn't usually go hand in hand with performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

The huge torque makes passing cars easy, unlike the M3 in which you have to rev it. The suspension is stiff, but highway should be okay.

Not sure about the seat, I have the comfort seat, which is an option.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

Way more comfortable and spacious then the M3. The handling will surprise you as well. Even though I have an e46 M3 'vert, I almost always head for the X5M.
      07-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
Stargunz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

X6m will probably not offer you any more comfort on the ride.
If you want the performance and the comfort I'm going to have to vote this one out.

Given the price range a pre-owned M5, Panamera gts or Mercedes cls55 will fit what your looking for.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomdizzle View Post
X6m will probably not offer you any more comfort on the ride.
If you want the performance and the comfort I'm going to have to vote this one out.

Given the price range a pre-owned M5, Panamera gts or Mercedes cls55 will fit what your looking for.
Since you can select the ride with the ECS, I would tend to disagree with you on the comfort comment. More shoulder room as well.
      07-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
NikB316
Captain
Rep

Thanks everyone for the help!

Just to clarify when I mentioned comfort I was referring more to the interior space and seats. I was fine with the ride especially with being able to adjust the suspension. Will go for some daily friendly wheels like I did with putting 18" on my M3.

Zsx_M,
I thought of going with a non sport model and keeping the M3 but I know I would never end up driving the non sport model vs. M3 unless the weather called for it. I'm willing to sacrifice some comfort for sport.

Phatcat,
Thanks for the info. I wonder if comfort seats are an option on the X6M or only X5M as well. BMW site doesn't mention them on the X6. I think I will have to revisit the X5M. The massive torque definitely sounds fun. BTW my M3 is supercharged so with 600rwhp and 400rwtq on a car so much lighter than the X, passing cars is a breeze. I can usually stay in 7th gear lol!

Spaceballs,
Thanks - I know the X5 is a big difference in comfort from the M3. Hopefully the X6 isn't too far off. We had an X5 in the family so I am very familiar with it.

Doomdizzle,
AWD + Height is key for me. I really didn't find the CLS55 to be that comfortable.

I think I need a refresher on what the X6M feels like compared to the X5M

BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 03:27 AM   #8
jamze132
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 228i

I had an 11' M3 and now drive an 11' X6M and I can tell you that the X6M is way more comfortable to drive. And you will be surprised how well she handles. I absolutely loved my M3 but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on the X6M and I'm glad I did. It is an absolute blast to drive.

I added the BPM ECU tune and it is an absolute torque monster.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 12:55 AM   #9
NikB316
Captain
Rep

Jamze,
Thanks for the info. Have decided to go with the X6M. It definitely has a sportier feel than the X5M and a cooler look IMO. If I was in a situation where I needed to use the back seats often I would definitely reconsider and lean towards the X5M. I just need two comfortable front seats and I'm pretty much good. Had a chance to compare the two cars and the front seat comfort is pretty much the same. The X6 sacrifices space in the rear which works for me.

A tune is a must with these stock turbo cars. I love how much power you can get for $2k compared to my M3 where you need to spend 5x+ for the same gains. I've heard good things about the BPM tune but will probably be going with the Active Autowerke Tune + Downpipes. Their supercharger on my M3 was top notch and they have been around forever in the BMW tuning world. Not saying these newer companies aren't good but Active has impressed me with their product and service.

It appears that for 2013 models the Multi Contour seats are standard on both the X6M & X5M. To get these more comfortable seats on previous year models the car must come with the Active Ventilated Seat Option.

Not too many preowned X6M for sale - a lot more X5M. I like how rare the car is - worth the extra $10k they are going for preowned compared to a similar X5M. Just need to find the right one now! I'm going to be emailing/calling every dealer in NJ. I don't plan on keeping the car stock for longer than 24 hours

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Congrats on your decision, it is the right one (I might be biased)

Love my X6M. I had an X6 35i previously and done 1200 mile road trip in the M and longer trip in the 35i. It's very comfy. I don't commute but do lots of driving with easily over 100-150 mile days when I go to meet clients or drive somewhere for photography, etc.

Almost 10k miles on my M in 5.5 months. Loving every mile!

I also imagine (not 100% sure though) that driver and front passenger comfort and space is identical in X5 and X6. Rear headroom is the only issue, for taller people. I regularly have 2 car seats in mine for the kiddos and have no issues, and my almost 3yo daughter loves "daddy's blue car" hehe. I'm sure the youngest one does too, he just doesn't talk yet!

... And yeah, if you're coming from an M3 with 600 rear wheel HP, you might need a tune on the X6M. It is fast ... But everything is relative and I can only imagine how insanely fast your M3 must be!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

That's a lot of driving, and that mpg will be tough! I got a gti as a dd and keep miles off the BMW.

But if you don't mind the expense, x6m is a great car.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
Boosteeddc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 x6m

If you hear squeeking interior noises. Don't be shocked cause its normal in these cars. And don't go messing with the suspension or wheels. I did. And now I hate my life.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
NikB316
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosteeddc View Post
If you hear squeeking interior noises. Don't be shocked cause its normal in these cars. And don't go messing with the suspension or wheels. I did. And now I hate my life.
Can you elaborate on the problems you are experiencing? I figured quality wheels (not too big) and minor suspension (Dinan?) would be fine.

Thanks the responses everyone - regarding the gas milage I'm fine with it. Have never owned a car that was good on gas so I'm used to it. I also own a couple gas stations and the markup on premium is usually 2-3x that of regular.

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
Boosteeddc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 x6m

I'm on 22" adv1s but for suspension I went h&r springs and lowered it with the Adjustable links quite a bit. Now my car is bouncing everywhere I go. It's a common cause for h&r. Bottom line is. Don't go h&r
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
Sa3064
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6m

2010 X6M experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikB316
Hey everyone,
I am officially in the process of parting out my M3 in my signature and selling it for something more comfortable for my 3000 miles per month driving. It has been really hard to let to of the M3 and every time I drive it I feel like I am making a mistake but I know it's not ideal for the amount of driving I'm doing. I was first considering a new F10 M5 or AWD AMG but the idea of spending $110k on a new car and dumping 100k miles on it in 3 years isn't very smart.

I basically have narrowed down my selection to a preowned X6M, X5M or Cayenne Turbo. Looking to spend ~$70k or under. I am leaning towards the X6M as it seems sportier and unique compared to the others. 95% of my driving is on highways and I wanted something winter friendly. Back seats are not at all important to me nor is gas milage. I know nothing is going to be nearly as fun as my M3 but I drove an X6M and definitely enjoyed it for what it's worth. I'm sure a tune + DP will make the car that much more fun to drive too.

Anyway, on to my main questions for you X6 / X6M owners:

How comfortable and fun would you say your X6M is for a 100 mile daily highway commute?

Do you find the car feels at all cramped for just a driver and front seat passenger?

Were the seats changed for any model year? Didn't find anything searching but again, comfort is important here.

It seems to be more "cruising" friendly than the M3 as I spend most of the drive around 90mph (keyword: most ) . I feel the height makes the drive less strenuous as well.

Any insight you guys can provide regarding my situation especially those that made the same move would be much appreciated! Would appreciate information on any other things to look out for as well. I am looking forward to modding the car quite a bit. Some really nice mods available for this car that I had no idea about!
I wanted to share a few things on your good decision:
-I bought my X6M last June with 34,000 miles on it for $67,000 from a buddy of mine who never pushed the M button. Great guy.
-Add $5,000 for //M winter wheels
-Add $5,000 for extended warranty
-Add $1,900 for a new windshield

Worth it!

Today I have 78,000 miles, so I am in it a lot! Love this car and I am so happy with the power, performance and how safe I feel in it. There are so few of the X6, let alone the X6M that people don't really know what it is. Someone called it the "Stealth Bomber" and so it has a name.

I get a kick out of absolutely smoking by buds in their fancy Porsches, teasing them that they got beat by a 5200# SUV with a trailer hitch. It is just badass.

I hope you enjoy yours. I did no mods and still am smiling every day behind the wheel.

Best of luck and be safe. This thing does everything!
Jim
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #16
jamze132
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 228i

When I got the X6M I was blowing passed 911s on the Autobahn but once we reach 155mph, they overtook me. But since I've added the BPM tune which removed the speed limiter and added another 100+lb/ft torque, nothing is passing me. I had a 458 Italia keep up yesterday but eventually he let off when we reached 305km/h, and my beast was still pulling. I fucking love this machine!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #17
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
When I got the X6M I was blowing passed 911s on the Autobahn but once we reach 155mph, they overtook me. But since I've added the BPM tune which removed the speed limiter and added another 100+lb/ft torque, nothing is passing me. I had a 458 Italia keep up yesterday but eventually he let off when we reached 305km/h, and my beast was still pulling. I fucking love this machine!
Sick dude - that's awesome. I thought the euro spec X6M's didn't have a governor/speed limiter, guess I was wrong on that one.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #18
qadhi79
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 LCI (Space Gray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632
Sick dude - that's awesome. I thought the euro spec X6M's didn't have a governor/speed limiter, guess I was wrong on that one.
US and Euro both have speed limiter. The official BMW "M Driver's Package" removes the speed limiter or you can get a tune to do that.