XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #1
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

2012 X6M Shifting anomaly related to fuel?

Hi Everyone!

I am wondering if any body has had a similar issue and what cause/ solution was ultimately discovered.

About a couple of weeks ago, I experienced strange engine/ transmission behavior on the freeway while in 6th gear (highest for my X6M). Dash was displaying D6 in full auto mode. I attempted to downshift with paddles but gear stayed in the manual “6” position (no longer showing the D). Eventually the car downshifted and behaved normally for a couple of miles, then the Engine Malfunction icon / message appeared. Car started limping on reduced power and made it home. The next day I had BMW Roadside Assist flatbed-tow it to the dealer. They kept it a couple of days and replaced two fuel pumps, and a vacuum pump. My SA stated the transmission would not downshift because the engine could not get the fuel/power to work with the lower gear/ higher rpm demands.

Everything seems to have been totally fine until this afternoon. As before, I was on the freeway in 6th gear with D6 on the dash in automatic mode. I had M Power mode on briefly and then turned it off. Drove a little farther on the freeway and I tried downshifting with the paddle but gear stayed in the (now) manual “6” position. “OH NO – not again,” I thought. I then flipped the console shift selector to left for S modes and the gear went to S5 at first, then suddenly up to S6 and stayed there. Ultimately, the car went back to a normal automatic mode before reaching my exit which was close by. I have not yet seen another Engine Malfunction message, but am expecting it sooner than later.

I am wondering if it’s the same issue related to the fuel pumps (perhaps one is failing, then both) or if this is a transmission problem. All opinions welcome.

Thanks!
Jess
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #2
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess///M View Post
Hi Everyone!

I am wondering if any body has had a similar issue and what cause/ solution was ultimately discovered.

About a couple of weeks ago, I experienced strange engine/ transmission behavior on the freeway while in 6th gear (highest for my X6M). Dash was displaying D6 in full auto mode. I attempted to downshift with paddles but gear stayed in the manual “6” position (no longer showing the D). Eventually the car downshifted and behaved normally for a couple of miles, then the Engine Malfunction icon / message appeared. Car started limping on reduced power and made it home. The next day I had BMW Roadside Assist flatbed-tow it to the dealer. They kept it a couple of days and replaced two fuel pumps, and a vacuum pump. My SA stated the transmission would not downshift because the engine could not get the fuel/power to work with the lower gear/ higher rpm demands.

Everything seems to have been totally fine until this afternoon. As before, I was on the freeway in 6th gear with D6 on the dash in automatic mode. I had M Power mode on briefly and then turned it off. Drove a little farther on the freeway and I tried downshifting with the paddle but gear stayed in the (now) manual “6” position. “OH NO – not again,” I thought. I then flipped the console shift selector to left for S modes and the gear went to S5 at first, then suddenly up to S6 and stayed there. Ultimately, the car went back to a normal automatic mode before reaching my exit which was close by. I have not yet seen another Engine Malfunction message, but am expecting it sooner than later.

I am wondering if it’s the same issue related to the fuel pumps (perhaps one is failing, then both) or if this is a transmission problem. All opinions welcome.

Thanks!
Jess
Based on your description, sounds more like transmission problem rather than fuel pump and/or vacuum pump
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 08:01 PM   #3
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, Igor! I think you're correct. As an update - I went on a drive with the SA and their M-tech and was not able to recreate the issue. However, they did find a fault on their diagnostic equipment from the electric aux water pump. Had that replaced at my cost and picked up today. However, found a recall campaign (12V-161) with BMW SI B11 06 12 notice that should (hopefully) include my car. Called BMW NA to see if I can be reimbursed. I think chances are good. However, bummed that weird tranny behavior did not manifest during drive with the engineer.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 05:25 PM   #4
ferrari
Rep
Drives: X6M

Can you provide more detail about the recall campaign?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 07:04 AM   #5
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari View Post
Can you provide more detail about the recall campaign?
Looks like ///M is not included in this recall: http://www.tsbsearch.com/BMW/SI+B11+06+12
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 11:14 AM   #6
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I wonder if after replacing 2 hpffs, a vacuum pump and the aux electric water pump if the fuel injectors (related to recall in another post) could be the issue contributing to the weird transmission behavior where rpms drop to 2k or less and car only wants to stay in 6th gear ar times.
Appreciate 0