XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
gokudo_90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

system update

So I've got a 2010 e70 x5, i took my car to the dealer, after fixing it he told me there's an update, so i told him to go ahead.
The car has changed dramatically, no more jerky transmission, the sport button makes the steering very heavy
Its like a new car
Did the update do this? Or is it just me with a plasibo effect
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokudo_90 View Post
So I've got a 2010 e70 x5, i took my car to the dealer, after fixing it he told me there's an update, so i told him to go ahead.
The car has changed dramatically, no more jerky transmission, the sport button makes the steering very heavy
Its like a new car
Did the update do this? Or is it just me with a plasibo effect
Placebo affect would only apply if you anticipated some sort of performance changes prior to the software update.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #3
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Placebo affect would only apply if you anticipated some sort of performance changes prior to the software update.
Sport button has no effect on steering or transmission.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Sport button has no effect on steering or transmission.
Wrong on both counts.

It changes the shift points - what RPM. Holds longer before shifting

If you have Active Steering, it disables the power assist.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
mavic1010
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530e

Actually...Sport Button does not have an effect on steering or transmission. It activates adaptive drive. Suspension only. Sport Mode which is moving the shifter over would affect the shift points. I didn't know about the active steering being changed, so I will take your word on that.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #6
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavic1010 View Post
Actually...Sport Button does not have an effect on steering or transmission. It activates adaptive drive. Suspension only. Sport Mode which is moving the shifter over would affect the shift points. I didn't know about the active steering being changed, so I will take your word on that.
Also wrong.

Adaptive drive is always on. There is no button to enable it.

The sport button. when enabled, changes the suspension characteristics (makes it stiffer). It also changes the shift points to allow the vehicle to accelerate more rapidly. If you have adaptive steering, it disables power assist to tighten up the steering.

Moving the shift over to the left puts the vehicle in manual shift mode. You manually select the shift point.

Do some research on the BMW website and read your manual.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
mavic1010
Private First Class
Rep

No need to be passive aggressive....

Moving the shifter over puts it into DS mode which changes the shift points. Move the lever up or down and now you are in manual mode.

From BMW Website:

Adaptive Drive:

Athletic performance and comfort are no longer mutually exclusive: if desired, Adaptive Drive combines the two active chassis control systems, Dynamic Drive and Dynamic Damping Control, for a more relaxed driving experience.

Adaptive Drive calculates lateral and longitudinal acceleration, and speed and steering angle, to ensure an elevated performance. In curves or sudden changes of direction, the use of Active Roll Stabilization (ARS) affects handling to minimize body roll and keep the vehicle level. By virtually eliminating swaying or tilting behavior, Dynamic Drive Control (DDC) also delivers unmatched agility, for exceptional comfort and unmatched driving pleasure.

I have an X5 with adaptive drive. Pressing that button only changes the suspension characteristics.

So in this case you are wrong as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
Also wrong.

Adaptive drive is always on. There is no button to enable it.

The sport button. when enabled, changes the suspension characteristics (makes it stiffer). It also changes the shift points to allow the vehicle to accelerate more rapidly. If you have adaptive steering, it disables power assist to tighten up the steering.

Moving the shift over to the left puts the vehicle in manual shift mode. You manually select the shift point.

Do some research on the BMW website and read your manual.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No need to be passive aggressive....

<Blah blah blah>

I have an X5 with adaptive drive. Pressing that button only changes the suspension characteristics.

So in this case you are wrong as well.
Not being passive aggressive. Trying to stop the spread of misinformation.

I have an X5 with Adaptive Drive and Active Steering. Pressing the sport button changes the suspension characteristics, shift points and level of power assist on the steering wheel. I've seen/felt for myself. Also from the BMW website:

Sport mode.
Tune up: when sport mode is activated, engine output and driving dynamics take on sportier qualities, letting you enjoy your BMW's dynamic character at its peak.

Depending on which BMW model you drive, the sport mode can be activated by a touch of the "Sport" button on the central console. Immediately, your BMW feels even more dynamic: the electronic control units switch to sportier settings, making the engine more responsive and the suspension stiffer.
This increase in sports-style characteristics is accompanied by a reduction in powered assistance for the steering at low and medium RPMs for more direct and immediate steering, giving you an even closer sense of the character of the road.
In vehicles with automatic transmission or the Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG), activating the sport mode (also known as Driving Dynamic Control) shortens gearshift times and makes the gearshift characteristic even more dynamic.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
mavic1010
Private First Class
Rep

From the X5 manual. I have an 08 and looks like you have a 13. I checked both manuals. Same info. Adaptive drive is only a suspension setting. The throttle response change is by going into "Sport Program"/Sport mode with the shift lever.
Attached Images

Last edited by mavic1010; 08-04-2013 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
From the X5 manual. I have an 08 and looks like you have a 13. I checked both manuals. Same info. Adaptive drive is only a suspension setting. The throttle response change is by going into "Sport Program"/Sport mode with the shift lever.
Yup - I've read that as well. BMW tends to under explain their technologies in the user manual which is a shame. There is a ton of confusion around Adaptive Drive because of the way they market and explain it. Adaptive drive is two BMW technologies that are collectively referred to as Adaptive Drive. "Dynamic Drive" is the first and "Electronic Damper Control" is the second. When you add/purchase Adaptive Drive, it comes with these two features and they are on all the time. Sport Mode - the button, is is made possible by having Adaptive drive. Specifically, you need the Electronic Damper Control to have the Sport Button. Pushing the sport button is not enabling Adaptive Drive - it's actually adjusting the vehicle's damper control (a feature of Adaptive Drive) to give the vehicle a stiffer/sportier ride. But BMW does not stop there. They change the shift points and also the level of power assist on the steering wheel, per my prior post.

There are actually three different shift speeds for the X5/E70. This is explained in the E70 workshop manual. See attached image. "S" is the sport button, "M" is the shift lever in the left gate position. Still not that well explained, but you can see there are three different shift speeds depending on the selected drive program.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
mavic1010
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the chart...

That's D - normal position, S - DS mode - shift lever left, M- Manual mode - shift lever left + forward/backward
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
Wrong on both counts.

It changes the shift points - what RPM. Holds longer before shifting

If you have Active Steering, it disables the power assist.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
vkosty
Rep
Drives: BMW x5 35i

Interesting discussion.
Appreciate 0