XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
CrashRat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35d

Buying new wheels, offset question

Hi Guys & gals, thanks for the great forum. I'm the latest caretaker of a 2011 X5D in Platinum Bronze Metallic with black Nevada Leather on the inside. This rig had more than $27,000 in options from the factory, including some pretty rare ones:

rear entertainment for the kiddos
3rd row seating for the occasional trip with their friends
premium sound to make the trip fun
Sport pkg w/adaptive drive
leather dashboard
heads up display
lane departure

on top of the usuals:

technology
premium
cold weather
running boards
comfort access
auto high beams
side view cams
roof rails
running boards

She just started her 2,000 mile journey yesterday via covered wagon. Supposed to be here Sunday. Can't wait.

First mod already committed to: Just ordered my 1.2/1 H&R springs this morning

Second mod I need some help with please:

wheels. I'm not understanding offset very well, and seem to be getting conflicting information. Here's the info I have figured out so far:

OEM 19x9 style 335 wheels (my size) are ET48/48 front/rear

I am looking at 20x10/20x11 staggered

OEM 20x10 / 20x11 staggered are ET 40/37 front/rear, and require a wider fender arch

The wheel guy seems to talk with a lot of authority, and is telling me what I'd want to do is buy ET43 rear and run 15mm spacers, with ET23 front and no spacers to meet the edge of the wider fender arches. I don't understand though how the offsets could be so different from OEM and still look right?

I'm a newbie, this is only my second post but I've searched the forum for several variations of "wheel offset" "wheel size" etc and still not coming up with anything that answers this question for me in a way that makes me comfortable enough to fork over the money. If anyone could please advise on this, I'd sure appreciate it.

I'd also be interested in seeing pictures of folks with Plat Bronze Met rigs who are running gunmetal, or gloss black wheels. Those are the two colors these rims I'm interested in come in, and I haven't decided yet which one I like best.

Thanks much!

Greg
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 10:13 PM   #2
CrashRat
Private
United_States
Rep

You know, I think I would be in pretty good shape if someone could just confirm for me please that I'm looking at it the right way. The way I'm figuring it is if the OE front wheel is 20x10 ET 40, and I'm fitting a 20x10 ET35, the face of the new wheel would be INBOARD by 5mm more than the factory 20x10. Meaning, I would need 5mm spacers in order to push the face of the replacement wheels out to the same plane as the factory 20x10's.

Can someone please just confirm I'm going in the right direction with my offset math? The wheels I'm interested in will require some machining of the hub diameter to make them work, so they will be non-returnable if I get it wrong.

Thanks,

Greg
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 11:48 PM   #3
CrashRat
Private
United_States
Rep

Finally discovered an offset calculator that helped a ton -

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator#

I believe I now know what I'm doing with respect to the offsets.

Still very interested in opinions/pics of someone who's running gunmetal colored rims on a platinum bronze X5 though!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 12:11 AM   #4
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Hey Greg - congratulations on your x35D purchase - sounds like you found an exceptionally optioned diesel!

I don't think you need to worry about offsets if you're looking at OEM 20's You mentioned you have the sport package so you should already have the wheel arches - which OEM 20's are you looking at?

Welcome to the forums
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 07:17 AM   #5
CrashRat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post

Welcome to the forums
Thanks. It's good to be here.

two things to clarify,

1) The wheels I'm interested in are not OEM. Sorry for the confusion there. I was just trying to compare them to OEM so I could get a better idea of how the offset on these aftermarket ones would look relative to what came OE.

2) even though the sticker says it came with the sport package, the rig definitely doesn't seem to have the wider fender flares. I attached a pic from the ad if you want to double check me. The wheels it's coming with are the 19x9" style 335's. I am still learning, but 19x9 seems pretty light for something that says it was sent from the factory with a sport package. Is it possible the PO swapped them out for better handling in the snow?

Thanks for the reply. Would love opinions/thoughts on the wheel color I'm thinking about. The same wheel also comes in gloss black.
Attached Images

Last edited by CrashRat; 10-10-2015 at 07:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 10:42 AM   #6
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashRat View Post

1) The wheels I'm interested in are not OEM.

2) even though the sticker says it came with the sport package, the rig definitely doesn't seem to have the wider fender flares. I attached a pic from the ad if you want to double check me. The wheels it's coming with are the 19x9" style 335's. I am still learning, but 19x9 seems pretty light for something that says it was sent from the factory with a sport package. Is it possible the PO swapped them out for better handling in the snow?
1. Not OEM? You want to think about it twice, especially if you have to bore out the center bore ... you own them. But that also tell me that the wheels you are considering were probably never designed for a rig as heavy as the X5, be prepared for cracks, bents, warps, vibration, etc. Ask what the wheel load capacity is for each wheel.

Look for BMW OE, like style 214 or 336. But keep the style 335. You'll want/need them sometime in the future ...

2. "Sport Package" in BMW lingo has taken on to mean many different things over the years, but it is more of a marketing thing, e.g. cosmetic and appearance than suspension upgrades. In the X5 you have to look for things like "adaptive drive", which you have and that's a REAL good thing. The diesels that came through like yours were typically BMW executive demonstrator cars and were made available after the BMW employee moved on to the next car, typically 6K to 12K mi later. Check the Carfax or get a hold of the BMW Vehicle Warranty Inquiry document (dealer only). Oh, and that document will also tell you if your car was given an extra 6 months or 5K mi OE warranty under New Vehicle Warranty Info section.

Here's another site where you can compare wheels and off-sets: http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
      10-10-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
CrashRat
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the tip re: wheels, I appreciate it. I talked to the manufacturer yesterday (MRR) and learned that the wheels are load rated 1520lb ea. Everything I'm reading about the X5 so far says that basically leaves me enough room to haul my fam + a few hundred pounds of gear and that's about it. Towing is out of the question, unless I keep the 335's as you suggest.

Glad you brought up the 214's again btw. They're by far my favorite OE style on this color. What attracted me to these aftermarket wheels is that they're similar in design to the 214, but dissimilar enough to still look different without "trying too hard."

Funny too that you would intuit the likely history to have been as a demonstrator/executive model. That's exactly how CarFax reads. The dealer I bought it from was also able to provide the BMW Warranty Inquiry you mentioned.

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 03:54 PM   #8
PAX5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
... The dealer I bought it from was also able to provide the BMW Warranty Inquiry you mentioned.
Did you get the extra 6 mo and 5K mi warranty?
      10-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #9
CrashRat
Private
United_States
Rep

Yep! It was exactly like you described. As if you were reading over my shoulder while I was signing all the paperwork lol
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 11:34 AM   #10
CrashRat
Private
United_States
Rep

Wow, well my first impressions of the 335's in person is nothing like I expected. We just rolled it off the truck a few mins ago. This is my first time seeing the 335's in person. Still wishing they were 20's but they're nowhere near as horrible looking as I expected them to be. All the pictures I've seen of them seen to make them look more silverish than they actually are. I'm also very pleased with the condition of the rig. This is my first time seeing it in person. The dealer did an excellent job of describing it from a distance and doing homework for me.

Anyway, back to the topic of wheel colors. I'm still interested in opinions on the graphite grey or gloss black options in case I still decide to change them out.

Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 04:43 PM   #11
PAX5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Wow, well my first impressions of the 335's in person is nothing like I expected. We just rolled it off the truck a few mins ago. This is my first time seeing the 335's in person. Still wishing they were 20's but they're nowhere near as horrible looking as I expected them to be. All the pictures I've seen of them seen to make them look more silverish than they actually are. I'm also very pleased with the condition of the rig. This is my first time seeing it in person. The dealer did an excellent job of describing it from a distance and doing homework for me.

Anyway, back to the topic of wheel colors. I'm still interested in opinions on the graphite grey or gloss black options in case I still decide to change them out.

Thanks everyone!
Photo's, please ... 35d's equipped such as yours are (extremely) rare.

... again on the wheels: go BMW OE, anthracite/graphite grey and keep the 19's,

or

Here's another option: since your stock style 335 wheels (9x19, ET 48 - front and 10x19, ET 53-Rear) are already staggered, AND YOU KIND OF LIKE THEM anyway, consider mounting size 275x45-19 non run-flat tires on both front and rear rims. This will work because that size tire can be mounted up to a 10.5 wide rim and still clear all suspension components. But most importantly, you don't change the tires aspect ration between front and rear which is bad for your transfer case ... but you can't rotate, which you couldn't anyway. But if you buy a non-directional tires, you can switch side to side ...

In addition you can use 15mm front and 20mm rear wheel spacers if you want to bring the wheels out a little and install wheel flares. The 275x45 tire is beefier than stock and will give you almost the same look as going to 20' wheels and a somewhat more compliant ride (not so harsh as the 20" staggered set up).

IMO
      10-12-2015, 09:30 AM   #12
CrashRat
Private
United_States
Rep

Wow, thanks for the great idea (re: 275/45's on 19's). Since this will be the fam hauler, that might be the better way to go. I'll kick that around.

here's some pics of all the things I've identified so far.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0