XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-01-2015, 06:28 PM   #23
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
... my tire alignments are done by a BMW dealer. Dealers are more expensive; but, the alignment is just too important for tire life for me to risk doing otherwise.
Dealers are the ones that screw up the most. Why? Because the "spec" is so broad, but as long as they meet it, the alignment is within spec. Result? Excessive tire wear, poor tracking, erratic steering ... etc.

Few dealers will set the alignment to an optimal value:

toe-in (F + R): 0.02
camber (R only): symmetrical and in center of spec.

Done.

Last edited by PAX5; 09-01-2015 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 07:09 PM   #24
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
Dealers are the ones that screw up the most. Why? Because the "spec" is so broad, but as long as they meet it, the alignment is within spec. Result? Excessive tire wear, poor tracking, erratic steering ... etc.

Few dealers will set the alignment to an optimal value:

toe-in (F + R): 0.02
camber (R only): symetrical and in center of spec.

Done.
Not my experience.
You should talk to the SA about how he's going to set up the alignment. My dealer sets the specs required by BMW. He has, however, requested the tech to set the alignment for max tread wear rather than max performance. So, I've found some wiggle room in the dealer specs; but, as I say, it requires a conversation.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 07:33 PM   #25
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
Not my experience.
You should talk to the SA about how he's going to set up the alignment. My dealer sets the specs required by BMW. He has, however, requested the tech to set the alignment for max tread wear rather than max performance. So, I've found some wiggle room in the dealer specs; but, as I say, it requires a conversation.
SA's do not set alignments ... they are glorified gofers.

The BMW tech's decide what and how he's going to go about doing the job. In a BMW dealership, they are considered the SMA (Subject Matter Expert). And if necessary, they go to a shop foreman. Then the tech reports back to the SA with the results.

Do you have the print-out from you last dealer alignment? Please share ... if you can.

Here's an example of a decent (not mine) BEFORE and AFTER alignment on an X5. Have a close look at the numbers and the so called "BMW spec range" (very wide!):

09-01-2015, 11:05 PM   #26
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
The softness that some report is what worries me about switching to the DSW. I switched to DSWs from run flat summer on a previous 335i, causing a noticeable loss of performance in the dry. I'm worried about having the same experience with the X5.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 08:54 AM   #27
BAKZOOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 - X5M - Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrabbi View Post
Eagle Automotive is who I go to in Sterling, VA
Thanks. Any idea on cost of mounting and balancing for of these tires on an X5M? You ever been to Mach V in Sterling?

Edit: I got the prices.

Eagle Automotive - $168 plus $4/tire disposal.
Mach V - $175. Didn't mention a fee for tire disposal.

Last edited by BAKZOOM; 09-02-2015 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 12:37 PM   #28
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKZOOM View Post
Thanks. Any idea on cost of mounting and balancing for of these tires on an X5M? You ever been to Mach V in Sterling?
Mach V is a very solid company to deal with, with a very reputable following in other car types. (Subaru/Mitsubishi)
      09-02-2015, 04:33 PM   #29
BAKZOOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
Mach V is a very solid company to deal with, with a very reputable following in other car types. (Subaru/Mitsubishi)
How are they with BMWs?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 05:52 PM   #30
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:
How are they with BMWs?
Couldn't tell ya. I live on the opposite coast, and only have done internet transactions with them.

That said, tires and wheels, they can do. basic bolt ons they can do.

Which means they are more than capable of doing anything for an X5, since there ain't much you can do to one from an aftermarket perspective. :-P
      09-02-2015, 08:15 PM   #31
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
SA's do not set alignments ... they are glorified gofers.
My SA is knowledgeable, helpful and dependable. I trust him. He communicates well with the techs which I witness on occasion. He and I understand each other when I bring my car in. My car is fixed when I leave the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 03:15 PM   #32
BAKZOOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Got them installed yesterday and the ride home was so much quieter. I will give it a good run today and attach pics of the look here. So far, I'm impressed
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 08:52 AM   #33
BAKZOOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I also posted this on another thread on here but wanted to share the pics.

The Continental DWS06 tires. They don't have the same look as the Bridgestones but they are a great improvement when it comes to performance and noise. I can better hear and feel this beast. The stock exhaust sounds soooo much better and the road noise is virtually eliminated. Although I only have about 150 miles on them, I'm very happy and would recommend them.

Next, is an alignment at the BMW dealer. I hope you got your alignment issue fixed HSC1102. Didn't mean to thread jack.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 08:57 AM   #34
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
I also posted this on another thread on here but wanted to share the pics.

The Continental DWS06 tires. They don't have the same look as the Bridgestones but they are a great improvement when it comes to performance and noise. I can better hear and feel this beast. The stock exhaust sounds soooo much better and the road noise is virtually eliminated. Although I only have about 150 miles on them, I'm very happy and would recommend them.

Next, is an alignment at the BMW dealer. I hope you got your alignment issue fixed HSC1102. Didn't mean to thread jack.
Nice. I'd miss the "fat look" of the block Bridgestones though. I guess it's a bit of give and take.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #35
hsc1102
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

No worries, I appreciate all this conversation as this is all good to know.

Been a while since I provided an update to my original post, Pep Boys was able redo the alignment and everything is great with the car now. It drives straight and the steering wheel is no longer crooked.

Since putting the Continental DWS06 on, my wife and I have put on about 1000 miles. I can't stress enough how much quieter the car is now. I do echo everyone's sentiment about the car feeling a bit softer when both cruising or making sharp aggressive turns. But I switched over the to the non-runflats desiring a quieter and semi-softer ride.

However, these tires don't totally take away from the car's handling as it does provide a good balance between performance and everyday driveability. For the added benefit of these tires being 'all seasons' I am extremely happy with my purchase.

Now, I just need to find a spare tire that fits the X5M in case of flat.

Can't believe the OEM BMW spare for the X5M is in the $700s..., fix a flat for the time being.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #36
BAKZOOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Nice. I'd miss the "fat look" of the block Bridgestones though. I guess it's a bit of give and take.
I agree, I already miss the 'fat look' and it is give and take but the drive is so much better now.

Looks: Not worth it.
Drive: Well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #37
BAKZOOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsc1102 View Post
No worries, I appreciate all this conversation as this is all good to know.

Been a while since I provided an update to my original post, Pep Boys was able redo the alignment and everything is great with the car now. It drives straight and the steering wheel is no longer crooked.

Since putting the Continental DWS06 on, my wife and I have put on about 1000 miles. I can't stress enough how much quieter the car is now. I do echo everyone's sentiment about the car feeling a bit softer when both cruising or making sharp aggressive turns. But I switched over the to the non-runflats desiring a quieter and semi-softer ride.

However, these tires don't totally take away from the car's handling as it does provide a good balance between performance and everyday driveability. For the added benefit of these tires being 'all seasons' I am extremely happy with my purchase.

Now, I just need to find a spare tire that fits the X5M in case of flat.

Can't believe the OEM BMW spare for the X5M is in the $700s..., fix a flat for the time being.
You may want to reach out to DJRABBI on this forum. I believe he's sourced a spare for the X5M and he's offerred it to me. I'm going to pass for now but you may want to PM him for it. I can PM him for you if you want. Let me know.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #38
hsc1102
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
You may want to reach out to DJRABBI on this forum. I believe he's sourced a spare for the X5M and he's offerred it to me. I'm going to pass for now but you may want to PM him for it. I can PM him for you if you want. Let me know.
Thanks, I saw his posting for a spare tire. However, I believe there are some fit issues on the X5M with the bigger brakes. I think the one that fits is:

BMW part number 36116775450

http://parts.bmwofbridgewater.com/p/...116775450.html
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #39
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I agree, I already miss the 'fat look' and it is give and take but the drive is so much better now.

Looks: Not worth it.
Drive: Well worth it.
I drove my father's old E70 when it was on snow tires and it drove so smooth compared to the Bridgestones. But my wife driving behind me the other day and commenting on how awesome my X5 looks with the "fat wheels" as she calls them, make it worth it keeping the OEM tires.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 12:45 PM   #40
BAKZOOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsc1102 View Post
Thanks, I saw his posting for a spare tire. However, I believe there are some fit issues on the X5M with the bigger brakes. I think the one that fits is:

BMW part number 36116775450

http://parts.bmwofbridgewater.com/p/...116775450.html
Yes but he has a second spare tire that fits the X5M that he may be able to get.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 12:46 PM   #41
BAKZOOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I drove my father's old E70 when it was on snow tires and it drove so smooth compared to the Bridgestones. But my wife driving behind me the other day and commenting on how awesome my X5 looks with the "fat wheels" as she calls them, make it worth it keeping the OEM tires.

Totally understood.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #42
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:

Is the look that much different between OEM Bridgestone and these Continentals? Not the tread pattern but the width - we're comparing the same size/specs, no?

My Pilot Super Sports look slightly different that the prior Pilot Sport A/S I had on my 3 series, but only the sidewall looks different - from the rear they're the same width
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 02:54 PM   #43
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Is the look that much different between OEM Bridgestone and these Continentals? Not the tread pattern but the width - we're comparing the same size/specs, no?

My Pilot Super Sports look slightly different that the prior Pilot Sport A/S I had on my 3 series, but only the sidewall looks different - from the rear they're the same width
The softer and more rounded sidewall of the Continentals will make the tires look less "fat" than the square/block look of the Bridgestones.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 03:27 PM   #44
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Quote:
The softer and more rounded sidewall of the Continentals will make the tires look less "fat" than the square/block look of the Bridgestones.
You're 100% correct on the OEM Bridgestone tires looking ''fatter'' than non run flats...I have non run flats on the M and the original Bridgestones on the 50i. When parked side by side looking from behind, I noticed the 50i seemed to have a wider(fatter) look to the rear tires even though they're both the same size
Appreciate 0