XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #1
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Y cable adaptor connection failed?

Looking for any tips or advice from anyone on this issue, though it might just simply be a part failure?

I have a newer iPod with the lightning plug in the center console, connected via OEM Y cable + Apple lightning adaptor (because BMW's Y cable is still only available with the old/original iPod plug?). This setup has worked fine for a year until yesterday - iDrive screen now just says 'not connected'

To troubleshoot, I plugged a standard Apple USB lightning cable (the one that comes with the device at purchase) into the USB port on the X, and into the iPod (so no Apple lightning adaptor) - works fine. I then plugged the Y cable into the X and into an older iPod without the lightning plug (so again, no adaptor) - works fine. Therefore it seems the problem is with the Apple adaptor…which seems strange it would just stop working? Every other connection seems to work. I re-booted both the iPod and iDrive - no luck.

Has anyone else run into this? Do I lose any functionality using just a regular Apple USB cable - what is the added value of the 'Y' cable? It came with the X so I've always just used that. And yes I know I can stream music…just have so many iPods around I leave one in there.

Thanks in advance.
Jeff
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Looking for any tips or advice from anyone on this issue, though it might just simply be a part failure?

I have a newer iPod with the lightning plug in the center console, connected via OEM Y cable + Apple lightning adaptor (because BMW's Y cable is still only available with the old/original iPod plug?). This setup has worked fine for a year until yesterday - iDrive screen now just says 'not connected'

To troubleshoot, I plugged a standard Apple USB lightning cable (the one that comes with the device at purchase) into the USB port on the X, and into the iPod (so no Apple lightning adaptor) - works fine. I then plugged the Y cable into the X and into an older iPod without the lightning plug (so again, no adaptor) - works fine. Therefore it seems the problem is with the Apple adaptor…which seems strange it would just stop working? Every other connection seems to work. I re-booted both the iPod and iDrive - no luck.

Has anyone else run into this? Do I lose any functionality using just a regular Apple USB cable - what is the added value of the 'Y' cable? It came with the X so I've always just used that. And yes I know I can stream music…just have so many iPods around I leave one in there.

Thanks in advance.
Jeff
Too many troubles, I just use a usb flash drive for music and videos.
      09-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Did you recently perhaps do an update on your iPhone that would make it not compatible anymore?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 11:25 PM   #4
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Theres two options for you. Ask the dealer to update the software in the MULF2 to the latest version or alternatively purchase the tune2air 3000b bluetooth audio interface that supports search.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #5
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

What's a MULF2?
But if it works with a diff cable, hard to understand how a software update would know the diff between the Y-cable and a non-Y-cable...
I knew putting my old iPod classic in the center was the way to go! Not using the Y-cable, just a regular USB cord.
BTW Jeff, my Y-cable is still in the console, in an unopened bag. If you want to test it, I can send it to you no problemo.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 04:05 PM   #6
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
What's a MULF2?
But if it works with a diff cable, hard to understand how a software update would know the diff between the Y-cable and a non-Y-cable...
I knew putting my old iPod classic in the center was the way to go! Not using the Y-cable, just a regular USB cord.
BTW Jeff, my Y-cable is still in the console, in an unopened bag. If you want to test it, I can send it to you no problemo.
Thanks for the offer Todd. I just plugged the regular USB cable in like you and it works just fine. And strangely, album art now displays on my iDrive screen whereas it didn't when using the Y cable.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 10:57 AM   #7
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Have you tried using a flash drive in the USB port in the glovebox yet?
I am curious about this, as it might be a faster way to access specific artists, etc. than the iPod connection supports. Maybe I will put my Most Played playlist on a flash and try that soon. My kids BEG for Europe: Final Countdown every single time they get in the car! Yes I have them into Hair Metal already.
e90 328i - sold
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 12:52 PM   #8
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
What's a MULF2?
MULF is the ECU in the car that handles the Aux and USB connections for the car. However, I just realized you're car is a 2012.

In March 2010 BMW combined MULF and the telematics TCU into one single box, called Combox.

You're car will have a Combox.

Combox vehicles must use the standard Apple USB to lightening connector to interface to the car systems, and NOT use the older style Y-Cable. With the standard Apple iPhone cable, you get things like album art displayed and so on.

Cars that use Combox allow owners to upgrade the internal software (in the Combox) themselves. Goto http://www.bmw.com/update and put your VIN# in. A update will be available.

As a side note, the Y-cable splits control and audio. The Y-Cable uses the digital/analog converter in the lightening/30pin adapter. Its hit and miss if it really works properly. I would just avoid using the Y-cable all together, because you're car doesn't require it.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #9
saleen01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5

i have a 2011, what cable should i be using...where can i buy it?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #10
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Combox vehicles must use the standard Apple USB to lightening connector to interface to the car systems, and NOT use the older style Y-Cable. With the standard Apple iPhone cable, you get things like album art displayed and so on.
Interesting - good info I guess I'll toss my Y cable as it doesn't seem to work any longer anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen01 View Post
Sounds like it depends on whether you have Combox control or not. If Combox was introduced in March 2010 as mentioned by apw2607, you likely have it. Run the VIN just to be certain, & hopefully you see this:

6VC CONTROL COMBOX

If you have that you wouldn't need the Y cable, just a standard USB.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #11
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen01 View Post
Assuming you have a iPhone then just use the usb charging cable that came with the phone.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 12:58 PM   #12
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Note - my old iPod (now referred to as a Classic) doesn't seem to support Album art via the iDrive. Tho it does on the iPod screen.

Thread-jack - I did try the USB as I mentioned above. Unfortunately it sorts the tracks alpha by song name, not playlist order. Not sure what it would do if tracks were in multiple folders, I just copied them all to the root directory this first attempt.
e90 328i - sold
Appreciate 0